Increased Draw Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increased Draw Weight

I recently increased the draw weight on my Bowtech Guardian from 60 to 65 lbs. it has 70 lb limbs. Can this make it quieter? It seems slightly quieter but it might be in my head . Thanks all

The theory is that the more grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight the quieter the bow.

Comment

So a lower draw weight should have a quieter shot?

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
        So a lower draw weight should have a quieter shot?
        Yes. The bow will have less shock or recoil because of the ratio of arrow weight to pounds of draw.
        There is the potential for noise due to loose limbs or limb pockets, but that isn't too likely with today's quality in bows.

Comment

Must be in my head then the only thing I could think of was the higher draw weight absorbed the energy more quickly

Comment

Actually a heavier arrow absorbs the energy. Also addition of silencers to the string absorbs more energy. Adding poundage adds energy

Comment

My experience is my bows are quieter maxed out than turned down. That's just on the four I've owned so take it for what you will. But right now I'm shopping for a bow. Not because I couldn't crank down my Z7E from 70 to 60 but because it was definitely louder. A new bow maxed out at 60 is a better choice imo. Looking like an Elite Energy 32.

Comment

Increased Draw Weight

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                My experience is my bows are quieter maxed out than turned down. That's just on the four I've owned so take it for what you will. But right now I'm shopping for a bow. Not because I couldn't crank down my Z7E from 70 to 60 but because it was definitely louder. A new bow maxed out at 60 is a better choice imo. Looking like an Elite Energy 32.

I'd agree that maxed out is usually quieter from my experience. The draw on the Energy 32 is the smoothest out there. If you're dropping poundage due to injury or just for shoot ability it don't think you can beat that bow.

Comment

I've got to agree about the Elite. I shot one yesterday and it was smooth as can be all the way back, solid back wall, and 0 hand shock. Didn't shoot the 35 but I can't imagine it would be much different.

Comment

If your arrows are more appropriately spined for 65 versus 60 pounds. Then yes it could get quieter.

Overspined arrows don't take as much of the energy from the limbs as they can when launched. The limbs still release the excess energy as noise.

Comment

Will an overs pined area cause significant decreases in performance?

Comment

With BH flight it will

Comment

You can get over spined arrows to work. Gold tip has 10, 20, and 50gr weight you can put behind the insert to take away some spine.
                          An overspined arrow will tune and group. An under spined arrow will tune but not group.

Comment

You can also step up in head weight but that again adds total weight and will slow you down some.

Comment

Working...
                            X