Hiking vs Hunting boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B Littleton View Post
    I purchased these recently. Put about 35 miles on them before my Devil's River aoudad hunt, and they absolutely saved my feet/ankles in that extremely rough, loose rocky terrain...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...kI9w&gclsrc=ds
    I have the same boots and they worked well for me on a mountain goat hunt in Alaska. I wear a wide width boot and I like that these come in wide.

Comment

Originally posted by BowDude View Post
      Hunting boots - you want insulation... as much as you can get. Don't need the insulation so much in a boot used primarily for hiking. I got these for under $200 on sale... Danner Men's High Ground 8 Realtree X 1000G Hiking Boot
      IF you sit in a stand all the time while hunting. If you're hiking, climbing, spotting and stalking during your hunt, then you don't need so much insulation.

The main difference between hunting boots and hiking boots is that hunting boots are often camo, and hiking boots aren't. Other than that, they're pretty much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        I have the same boots and they worked well for me on a mountain goat hunt in Alaska. I wear a wide width boot and I like that these come in wide.

Yep. The width was why I went with these as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have some Vasque hiking boots that I love, but when hunting I want over the calf boots that lace and zip.

Comment

Originally posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
            Go to REI and try on some Solomon quest 4D GTX. They're on sale for $180 right now. I wore them elk hunting last year and they're awesome. I hiked a total of 3 miles in them prior to going to CO and they were already broke in. Don't even waste your time trying on the pronghorns.
            If the quest 4D is on for $180 that’s likely the best you can can get for the money. I think it’s probably the best for the price even at full retail

Comment

There are two things that can get you into trouble and get you out of trouble. Your feet. Do NOT scrimp on boots when going into the mountains.

Lowa, Crispi, Kenetrek, Zamberlain and Mendle are all designed for mountain hunting and hiking.

The main difference between hiking and hunting boots is the height. Most hiking boots are not that tall (6"), while most hunting boots start at 8" and go up.

Comment

Can you post a link. I show $230 for those boots.
                Thank you

Originally posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
                Go to REI and try on some Solomon quest 4D GTX. They're on sale for $180 right now. I wore them elk hunting last year and they're awesome. I hiked a total of 3 miles in them prior to going to CO and they were already broke in. Don't even waste your time trying on the pronghorns.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                  If the quest 4D is on for $180 that’s likely the best you can can get for the money. I think it’s probably the best for the price even at full retail

They are close outs so sizing will be limited. Salomon has upgraded to the “4D 3” version

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                    Can you post a link. I show $230 for those boots.
                    Thank you
                    Search quest 4d gtx 2. Full price is the new 2018 version noted by the “3” generation. Discounted ones are the “2” generation

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      Search quest 4d gtx 2. Full price is the new 2018 version noted by the “3” generation. Discounted ones are the “2” generation
                      Yeah just Google it. I didn't realize they updated them.

Comment

Big question, where/when/what kind of elk hunt are we talking? A backpack hunt in steep, nasty country are going to require good boots. A cow hunt on a private ranch and a pair of Walmark Hi-Techs would probably be all you need. What time of year? What kind of terrain? Lots of variables here.

Comment

Good point about what kind of hunt. If you are talking about archery elk in September...
                          No way you want insulated boots, quite the opposite.
                          Definitely want waterproof boots and maybe some gaiters for certain situations.
                          Hiking boots are lighter and since you are going to climb a bazillion steps save energy. Assuming your ankles are not a problem
                          Moderately priced boots are fine, expedition boots not needed
                          Put 50 up/down hill miles on them before you go

I have over been on over 20 archery elk hunts and pain can be a great tutor

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and guidance. At this point i am leaning to the Salomon Quest 4d 3gtx. They have them for $220 at rei and were comfortable. What are the chance of these going on sale this spring? Most prices about the same online, if they are not going to go on sale i would just go ahead and buy them. Let me know if you have any more thoughts.

Comment

My hunting partner was on a SEAL team and had several pairs of boots in boxes he left the Navy with. He said these were what was issued to the SEAL team and he gave me a pair that was a little too small fir him.

Amazing product. If I wear them out, I’m buying a second pair.

Danner Arcadias. $360-ish but worth every dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                                Thanks for all the replies and guidance. At this point i am leaning to the Salomon Quest 4d 3gtx. They have them for $220 at rei and were comfortable. What are the chance of these going on sale this spring? Most prices about the same online, if they are not going to go on sale i would just go ahead and buy them. Let me know if you have any more thoughts.
                                Not a good chance at all. I don’t think I saw the 2s go on sale until now unless it was a really short sale

Comment

Working...
                                X