Taking the wheels off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the wheels off

I've been interested in traditional bow hunting for several years and after the success I've had to this season with my compound, it's time to up the challenge. I bought a #45 Bear Grizzly recurve this past summer, and from shooting it and reading online, I'm pretty sure it's too short for me. I have a 30.5" draw length and just ordered a 70" #30 Galaxy Black Ridge longbow to develop my form before getting something with more draw weight. My question is what spine arrows should I get for the #30 longbow with a 30" draw?

(Also I'm willing to part with that #45 Bear Grizzly for cheap, if anyone is interested)

Did you order a 30# bow (which is most likely 30@28), or did you order a bow that is 30@30.5?

A 30@28 bow will be about 37# at 30.5”.

Either way, you will need light spine arrows, like .600 or maybe even .700 spine.

Good luck, and welcome to the fun side!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Let me know a price on the grizz!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s 30@28”. I have some arrows that are .350 spine. Will being over spined effect my shooting that much just for starting out?

Comment

I'd personally worry about learning form vs getting too deep into tuning but some cheaper lighter spine arrows might help if the heavy ones are shooting inconsistently.

Tom Clum's "Solid Archery Mechanics" course would be an incredibly help investment of funds too!

Comment

You shouldn't notice the stiff arrows for blank baling or short shots. It probably won't be pretty at twenty yards. Those are so stiff that the arrow may slam into the sight window. If so, you had better find a half dozen 600 spine arrows and at least be in the ball park of what is needed. Fine tuning can come later.

Comment

Just giving a follow up that I'm totally hooked on shooting traditional. I've been shooting every day since January and now using a 68" 45@28" PSE Sequoia longbow. Shooting .500 Black eagle vintage with 150 grain points. Major break through was switching from a glove to a Bateman 3 under tab. Shooting baseball sized groups out to 15 yards. working on 20. Ordered a Tradtech 21" Trident ilf Riser with recurve limbs that Lancaster is setting up to 64" 49@30". If anyone around southwest Houston or Victoria more experienced would like to shoot and give some pointers let me know. I'm willing to pay for lessons but not sure where to start.

Also, looking into getting a nice custom take down recurve, preferably one built in Texas. Will someone share a link with Sarrels pics and pricing? I can't find anything online with their purchasing information.

Comment

Good deal. It's addictive and expensive to be sure. Sounds like you're doing well. If you haven't been shooting the weekly challenges I'd encourage you to get involved. It's a fun way to keep track of where you are and maybe even some fun ways to practice.

Gary

Comment

Congratulations on the switch and not giving up on it fun times ahead .

Comment

Awesome CRC! Sounds like youre doing great!

Bob (Sarrels) likes to advertise on Facebook...I believe. He has told me he gets alot of sales through FB and subsequently focuses marketing there.

Comment

Cooper, another fine Texas made bow is Bob Lee. They are in Jacksonville in E.TX. Back in the day, Bob Lee had Wing archery and produced a great line of bows. Bob is still involved in the business but it is mostly run by his son Rob and his son J.J. These guys will bend over backwards to help you out. They offer custom bows but have a number of in-stock bows on their website. They are not inexpensive but really are fine bows with outstanding looks in my opinion. I know Bob Sarrels makes a fine bow but I have not owned one of his but there are some real shooters who swear by his bows. Good luck on your new path.

Comment

Taking the wheels off

There are a lot of great bowyers right here in Texas! I own a half dz Sarrels bows, and have killed more critters with a Sarrels bow than all the others put together. If you need info on Bob’s bows, give him a call at 512-940-3098 and set up a time to go visit his shop and shoot some of his bows.

Don’t buy a bow based on what someone else thinks, or on looks!!! Go try the different bows yourself, and then pick the one that fits you best, and that you shoot best.

Sarrels Archery-Austin
                        Wagstaff Archery-San Antonio
                        Bob Lee Archery-Jacksonville
                        Dryad Bows-Weatherford
                        Navajo Bows-Henderson
                        Salado Bows-Salado

And, I’m sure there are others I’m not remembering right offhand!!!!!

The main point of my post is to get a bow that you like, and that fits you well.

One more thing, meet the other trad shooters in your area. Go to 3D shoots and find them. Then find someone to help and mentor you as you get started. Having a resource that has already been thru most of the pitfalls can really help shorten the learning and frustration curve!

Welcome to the fun side, and best of luck to you!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Last edited by Bisch; 04-25-2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for the helpful information. Does any Texas Bowyer make a recurve with a flat handle similar to a longbow? I really like the simple vertical grip on my PSE Sequoia.

Is there any trad shooters on here from Wharton County? Or a shoot near SW Houston or Victoria this weekend? If anyone would like to go stump shooting/hog hunting in exchange for some knowledge and tips on gap shooting, I'd be more than happy to take them.

Comment

Don't know about Texas but Big Jim makes the Mountain Monarck and it has a longbow style grip.
                            Trying to talk Randy into building them . . .[emoji57]

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              Don't know about Texas but Big Jim makes the Mountain Monarck and it has a longbow style grip.
                              Trying to talk Randy into building them . . .[emoji57]

Gary
                              The Mountain Monarck looks nice, but that 14 month lead time does not.

Comment

Working...
                              X