6.4 Hemi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.4 Hemi?

I’ve usually owned diesel trucks just because of longevity and minimal repairs. Don’t have anything to heavy anymore to pull just my 22 ft bay boat, full size ranger crew and 30ft travel trailer which stays at least majorly of time. Does anyone own one of these in the Ram 2500 if so how does it pull? What’s the mileage empty? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by chancito1 View Post
    I’ve usually owned diesel trucks just because of longevity and minimal repairs. Don’t have anything to heavy anymore to pull just my 22 ft bay boat, full size ranger crew and 30ft travel trailer which stays at least majorly of time. Does anyone own one of these in the Ram 2500 if so how does it pull? What’s the mileage empty? Thanks in advance.

Love my 6.4, 2017 @ 75K miles. Gas mileage average 13-14 unless I’m in a hurry and then it’s 12-12.5. I have a customer that runs them on all his utility trucks, some have 300K+ miles with only regular maintenance. I’d buy again if I needed another truck.

Comment

Felt underpowered to me when I test drove one, but that truck had 3.73 gears. 4.10 may be a little better.
      If I was to buy a 3/4 ton gas it would be the Ford 6.2 with 4.30 gears.

Comment

If your going from a diesel to a gas, pulling those loads you will notice a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
          Love my 6.4, 2017 @ 75K miles. Gas mileage average 13-14 unless I’m in a hurry and then it’s 12-12.5.

Which rear gear is this with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You’re absolutely going to notice a difference going from a diesel to a gas. That being said, I’ve got a cousin that swears by them. He ranches out of them and is not easy on a truck. Hasn’t owned a diesel in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
              If your going from a diesel to a gas, pulling those loads you will notice a big difference.

It would be super handy if a truck shopper could hook up his load and go for a spin before buying.
              (As far as I know) as a consumer we get the joy of diving in head first to figure out if we actually like our purchase after the fact. Seems like a backwards way of doing things.

Comment

I have a 4wd 2500 with the 6.4 and 3.73 gears. I honestly don’t think it tows any better than my 2wd 1500 with the 5.7 and 4.10 gears. It sure rides a hell of a lot rougher though.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I've had a few chevys with 6.0 3/4 tons I've pulled my ranger with. They pulled it ok but struggled some in hills and sucked the gas down. If the 6.4 pulls even a little better than my 6.0 chevy I'd be pretty happy

Comment

Have a 2017 200 4x4 with 6.4. Little rougher ridea than half ton but it's 3/4 and made for pullin and haulin. Put in tow haul and don't look back. Mileage I'm gettin is 12 to 13 pullin and boUT 17 on highway empty. Will b others that say BS but clocked mine several times and that's what I'm gettin. It's made to work and it does a great job for me. There will b a noticeable difference from diesel to gas but thats just that. Love mine. Will buy again when time comes

Comment

I went from a 2012 6.7 to a 2017 6.4 with no regrets. Surprised by the 3.73 gears. 90% of the ones I have seen when I was shopping came with the 4.10. I average 16mpg on highway and about 12 in town. Pulling is about 10-11.

Comment

I guess I depends on what you are towing.
                        I can get 17mpg on hwy empty, 13-14 around town and 7-8 towing 6500lb trailer, but in east Texas “hills”... and it’s working it on those hills.

Comment

I had one and I felt like it was under powered. Traded it in on a diesel and I am way happier. Dont pull much more than that which you described.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                            Which rear gear is this with?

3.73 only because I got a sweet deal on it. It does what I need it to so I’m happy.

Comment

Working...
                            X