Best All Around Deer Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best All Around Deer Rifle

Yes loaded question but wanted opinions on best all around deer rifle...make, model and caliber all in one. I'm looking to pick one up soon for my son so would like to see what TBH had to say.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My choice would be a semi-custom 7mm-08 built around a Rem-700 action.

If budget it tight, I would get a Ruger American in 7mm-08, 25-06, or similar caliber.
    Last edited by 44mAG; 11-06-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Ruger American Compact .308 topped with a Vortex.

Comment

I like a trusty ol Remington 700 7Mag or .270!!! But will be using a 6.5 creedmore in a few weeks. Let you know what I think of that once I torch em off.

Comment

Probly need to put a budget range on that loaded question. The best I can afford is going to be very different from the best others can afford. There are lots of good rifles in most every price bracket.

Comment

Sako L61R in 30-06.

Comment

.280 Ackley Improved

Comment

7mm08
                And depends on how much you want to spend..
                Ruger M77 Hawk Eye or older M77 or M77 MarkII
                Browning
                Older(before buy out)Remington BDL
                Weatherby Vanguards are very nice shooters
                And there are several more goods ones..

Comment

The old Remington 700 actions are really good. I have one in .280 that is my go to. That action in a 280, 270, 30-06 is good. The latter 2 have better ammo purchase options.

With that said, a Tikka, Savage, or Browning are good too. I have a Browing XBolt in 300 win mag that is awesome as well.

There are lots of good options out there. My 2 cents, get a solid action with a good trigger and spend more money on the glass on top. I'm sure lots of people will chime in.

Comment

I like Weatherby Vanguard in .270

Comment

IMHO you can kill any and all games in Texas with a .270, anything bigger is an overkill....

shot placement is critical, I honestly think a .243 will do just as well in Texas and with less recoil and damage to the meat.

I have a buddy who shoots and drops elk in their track with his .243 in Colorado, remember, "Shot Placement"
                      Last edited by ATI; 11-06-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I don't always use a rifle...but then I do, it's my 6.8mmSPC custom AR.

Shooting 120gr Hornady. Good luck!

Comment

I like overkill so I say get him a .300 Win. Pick your favorite action, I love my Weatherby but nothing wrong with a model 700.

Comment

Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM topped with a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with the green dot. DNZ mounts.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X