No announcement yet.

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats and thanks for sharing the journey. Love these threads.

Comment

Enjoying the updates,looking really good.

Comment

Micah, it's been fun following along! Proud the new place is coming along for you. I can also see how the coonhoods will work as a moisture deterrent as well, adding a little extra buffer over the lip of the funnels. We have to rake protein out of our boss bucks pretty regularly due to moisture, but they always seem to eat around the build up until we get it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          Congrats and thanks for sharing the journey. Love these threads.
          You bet! I’m still in the honeymoon phase and eager to see what happens next! Will continue to share.

Originally posted by fishinguy View Post
          Enjoying the updates,looking really good.
          Thanks. At the end of March will mark our first year here. More good times ahead.

Originally posted by Split_Brow View Post
          Micah, it's been fun following along! Proud the new place is coming along for you. I can also see how the coonhoods will work as a moisture deterrent as well, adding a little extra buffer over the lip of the funnels. We have to rake protein out of our boss bucks pretty regularly due to moisture, but they always seem to eat around the build up until we get it fixed.
          Thanks, Cody! Things sure came together for wingnut at the 160 this fall. Its been fun following that thread as well. You boys are setting yourselves up for the future with your endeavors. [emoji6]

It’s great to have TBHrs close that are experiencing the same journey. Look forward to connecting with you this spring sometime.

Comment

Awesome thread! Congrats to your son on his kills and thanks for bringing us along on your land adventure/journey!

Comment

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

It’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve put out the Coonhood equipped protein feeder and I’m itching to check the camera to see how well the local herd has acclimated to these wonderful new nuggets. I’m also interested in gauging the consumption rate.

The next project is converting this 600 lb corn feeder into a protein feeder. This is double the capacity of the Boss Buck I have out now. Between these two I should be able to keep protein flowing without concern between visits.

More to come!

Comment

Following. Looking good man! Gotta be an awesome feeling and can’t wait to see the progress made. It’s just as fun as the actual hunting

Comment

Can't wait to see what the new protein feeder looks like. Cody and me have two protein feeders out. I'm really ready to see how much the deer will eat this winter. I don't think any of my neighbors are feeding right now. I think the protein bill might be high��

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
                    Can't wait to see what the new protein feeder looks like. Cody and me have two protein feeders out. I'm really ready to see how much the deer will eat this winter. I don't think any of my neighbors are feeding right now. I think the protein bill might be high��

I’m also looking forward to seeing how the deer react to the protein. Pretty sure this is their first experience. The cost of feeding protein will be interesting to see. Time will tell.

Comment

The deer have been eating all year at my place but it seems like they don't eat a lot of it. I'm thinking that is probably fixing to change. What kind of protein are you going to use? We have been feeding a 16% pellet that I use to feed my cows. I've been using it for several years with really good luck at multiple different places. It's $7.05 for 50lbs.

Comment

The deer have been eating all year at my place but it seems like they don't eat a lot of it. I'm thinking that is probably fixing to change. What kind of protein are you going to use? We have been feeding a 16% pellet that I use to feed my cows. I've been using it for several years with really good luck at multiple different places. It's $7.05 for 50lbs.
                        What brand?

Comment

The CoonHoods will allow you to keep more of the feed! Huge plus for long term feeding! Can’t wait for the results!

Comment

It's called HC dairy pellet I buy it at my local coop. I see u are in rockwall you should be able to buy it at Coop in Greenville. Been using it for several years with great results!

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                              The CoonHoods will allow you to keep more of the feed! Huge plus for long term feeding! Can’t wait for the results!
                              I'm can't wait to see the results as well!

Comment

This first batch of protein was Shawnee Feed Super 20 range & breeder cubes. 20% crude protein. It was $8 per 50lbs. Picked it up at Burdine Farm Supply in Eufaula per Darton’s recommendation. Good folks to do bidness with. Funny. When I walked in and asked for 300 lbs. of protein she asked what I was feeding. When I said deer she started ringing up some $20 per 50lbs. AntlerMax....whoa there, I said. Let’s go with the $7 per 50lbs. variety. Give me something with a cow on the bag and not a deer. Batabing-bataboom, $8/50lbs.

If they have a 16% cube a little cheaper I’ll likely go with that next time. This was the very first time I ever bought protein so I’m learning.

Comment

Working...
                                X