Sous Vide Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Sous Vide is a neat way to get it done. I do like mine but it's a traditional Anova model. I have seen a lot of talk over the holidays about folks not salting their meat before the bath and then adding it for the searing process. Anyone have input on that topic?
    I've heard not to salt because it draws moisture out of the meat. I can buy that.

I'd be interested in a side-by-side comparison of pre-salted and post-salted SV steaks... To see the difference in the amount of liquid in the bags after cooking.

That said, I salt before the water bath and have had NO problems with a lack of "juiciness."

Comment

I will give it a try. I had a steak done this way on a hunt just never heard the details of how long. Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        I've heard not to salt because it draws moisture out of the meat. I can buy that.

I'd be interested in a side-by-side comparison of pre-salted and post-salted SV steaks... To see the difference in the amount of liquid in the bags after cooking.

That said, I salt before the water bath and have had NO problems with a lack of "juiciness."
        Same here. I salt prior but I am never going to long on soaks. I heard the same deal on drying out. I did see some data/video on boneless/skinless chicken breasts and moisture loss without salt. It was not substantial at all, 1-3 hours was only a slight difference and 3+ hours was the same amount of liquid left in the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Same here. I salt prior but I am never going to long on soaks. I heard the same deal on drying out. I did see some data/video on boneless/skinless chicken breasts and moisture loss without salt. It was not substantial at all, 1-3 hours was only a slight difference and 3+ hours was the same amount of liquid left in the bag.
          Good point... I've yet to cook anything longer than 1.5 hours in the water bath. Never done larger cuts, though. Just steaks, loins, and chicken breasts

Comment

If you sous vide, this is a great youtube channel.

Sous Vide Everything is all about amazing food! The channel is dedicated to the search of perfectly cooked proteins and more. The name says it all! Everything from, Pork, Beef, Fish and Poultry Everything gets Sous Vide. Most of the times its a total success, but rarely, very rarely its a total fail. This channel is dedicated to anyone looking for a way to cook better without having to be a Michelin star chef. Join our sous vide community today by SUBSCRIBING to the best sous vide channel on YouTube. Nothing else but Sous Vide Cooking and lots of fun! Enjoy the adventure of seeking perfection!

Comment

I will have to check the instant pot I bought the wife for Christmas. I was planning on buying an Anova sous vide machine but that would be great if her instant pot has that setting!

Comment

Salt Comparison
                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeCaGJCnLpw"]Sous Vide SEASONING EXPERIMENT - Should you SALT BEFORE OR AFTER Sous Vide? - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

For those like myself that have trouble viewing links.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                    For those like myself that have trouble viewing links.
                    Or we could save you the suspense... Salt first.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                      Or we could save you the suspense... Salt first.
                      I like to know "why?" … BUT I salt first anyway

Comment

Sous vide make a fantastic sirloin. I use my sv 2 or 3 times a week. I salt right before I sear.

Comment

So that was with an instant pot and not their sous vide wand?? We got one for Christmas and I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Feeling inspired now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                            So that was with an instant pot and not their sous vide wand?? We got one for Christmas and I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Feeling inspired now.
                            If it'll hold a consistent low temp and you're in a vacuum bag I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well.

Comment

I got an Anova for Christmas and have used it twice with great results both times. Taking it to my parents this weekend to do some steaks for them.

Comment

Use my annova often. Even bought my 3 brothers one for xmas, they love it
                                Last edited by ntxshooter; 01-02-2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X