Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who benefits from this? Trying to understand how this is good for outdoorsmen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There seems to be some confusion about what is happening here. This land is not being leased to the exclusion of public use. The feds are simply leasing the rights to capture minerals. Folks will still be able to use the land for recreational (free) or grazing (paid) purposes.

I’d be interested to know why “the split should be 90/10”. NM doesn’t own the land at issue, or the minerals beneath it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
      A few days ago. NM is getting the crap end of the deal as the split should be 90/10.
      Nearly half a billion dollars in fresh money is headed to New Mexico state coffers after a record-breaking oil and gas lease sale this week by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management’s Carlsbad Field Office.

The two-day, online auction generated $972.8 million in bonus bids for 142 parcels in Eddy, Lea and Chaves counties, breaking all records for BLM lease sales across the nation, according to the agency.

The amount generated is nearly three times the $358 million the BLM earned from all sales nationwide last year, and more than two times the agency’s record year for lease-sale income in 2008, when it earned $408.6 million.

New Mexico will reap about $467 million from the Wednesday and Thursday sale, because 48 percent of the revenue from such lease auctions goes to the state where the oil and gas activity occurs. The rest goes to the U.S. Treasury.

The auction results drew praise from U.S. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, who said in a news release that the state’s robust oil and gas development has turned New Mexico into a “centerpiece” for the country’s “all-of-the-above energy future.”

Why should the split be 90/10?

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
        The leasee pays the federal gov't royalties on mineral receipts. The money goes to the US Treasury and is distributed to the counties where the oil and gas is produced. The PILT helps us all by funding schools, roads, law enforcement and emergency services.

Here is a link to a chart that shows payments to counties in Texas. $6,512,880

https://www.nbc.gov/pilt/counties.cf...&Search=Search
        Thanks, that makes sense.

Originally posted by mfsasser View Post
        A bit of apples to oranges in your acreage comparison. You are comparing total federally owned land in the whole lower 48 under any departments control to landlocked BLM controlled land in western states. I don’t know what the real percentage of acres would be and I am not looking to argue over it I just think a lot of times these reports of leasing the “public’s” land is often blown out of proportion was my only point. Would like to see less bias reports that only started coming when this administration took over.

You are right, it's definitely apples and oranges, but in reality, the % of public land that is landlocked is probably higher, but I would bet it isn't more than 4% just because there isn't that many AFB's, missile ranges, etc...I agree, these groups like BHA, TRCP make their donations off "Your losing your land". I am a member of BHA, and called it out at our local level when Land Tawney, president of BHA, posted that "Trump took our land" after Trump reduced the national monuments at Bears Ears and that other one to what they were prior to Obama. All that land was still public, and literally nothing changed. We could hunt/camp/4wheel it prior to monument status, during monument status, and after monument status. Nothing changed. That kind of divisiveness drives people away from our cause.

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
        There seems to be some confusion about what is happening here. This land is not being leased to the exclusion of public use. The feds are simply leasing the rights to capture minerals. Folks will still be able to use the land for recreational (free) or grazing (paid) purposes.

I’d be interested to know why “the split should be 90/10”. NM doesn’t own the land at issue, or the minerals beneath it...

In some cases yes, in some cases no. Lease terms aren't boilerplate terms, each lease is different. For example, if you have a uranium mine on public land, there is no way the public is going to be allowed within a mile of that mine. The land will be shut down. If that is our only way into public property, then it becomes landlocked. I would guess there are multiple other industries that would require full lease of the property, not just rights for what is under it. Uranium is the only one I have any knowledge about.

As far as NM getting money, they pay for the roads all the equipment will use to get to the job site, all the utilities the workers will use, and state level permits. So they should get something. 90/10 sounds like they didn't even try to estimate what it would actually cost though.

My gripe is, if all these places are up for lease, why aren't groups like RMEF, BHA, and TRCP pooling money and leasing these properties themselves? Not to mention the hundreds off Jeep Clubs around the US. The answer is probably no funding, but I would be curious how much they could raise if they tried to do it.
        Last edited by WItoTX; 09-15-2018, 08:53 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          Thanks, that makes sense.

You are right, it's definitely apples and oranges, but in reality, the % of public land that is landlocked is probably higher, but I would bet it isn't more than 4% just because there isn't that many AFB's, missile ranges, etc...I agree, these groups like BHA, TRCP make their donations off "Your losing your land". I am a member of BHA, and called it out at our local level when Land Tawney, president of BHA, posted that "Trump took our land" after Trump reduced the national monuments at Bears Ears and that other one to what they were prior to Obama. All that land was still public, and literally nothing changed. We could hunt/camp/4wheel it prior to monument status, during monument status, and after monument status. Nothing changed. That kind of divisiveness drives people away from our cause.

In some cases yes, in some cases no. Lease terms aren't boilerplate terms, each lease is different. For example, if you have a uranium mine on public land, there is no way the public is going to be allowed within a mile of that mine. The land will be shut down. If that is our only way into public property, then it becomes landlocked. I would guess there are multiple other industries that would require full lease of the property, not just rights for what is under it. Uranium is the only one I have any knowledge about.

As far as NM getting money, they pay for the roads all the equipment will use to get to the job site, all the utilities the workers will use, and state level permits. So they should get something. 90/10 sounds like they didn't even try to estimate what it would actually cost though.

My gripe is, if all these places are up for lease, why aren't groups like RMEF, BHA, and TRCP pooling money and leasing these properties themselves? Not to mention the hundreds off Jeep Clubs around the US. The answer is probably no funding, but I would be curious how much they could raise if they tried to do it.

I would like to talk with you sometime.
          Since I’m no longer able to work at my trade I now have some time to attend all of these public comment forums.

You know the ones that always take place when the working man/woman are out trying to make a living. I want to be able to use my two minutes to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            So it doesn't benefit hunters or sportsmen.......you know that lease money is going in someones pocket. No way to track it. Follow the money.
            So, are you jealous.

Comment

The BLM hosted a public meeting at the Village of Hope to solicit feedback from the public on a revision to the federal agency's RMP.

Resources management plan revisions community discussions.

Comment

Republicans are on the wrong side of this issue. I saw this issue first hand in Idaho this year. The area I hunted, which was awesome, is set to be mined by JR Simplot. I saw the other drainages they mined. They were left as giant gaping holes. The entire area I hunted will be off limits to the public and destroyed for decades to come. Oil wells and such are not a huge issue, but mining is. Do some research on the public land issues. Our land is being taken from us, fact.

Comment

Working...
                X