Generator help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator help.

I was very lucky to come out of Harvey in pretty good shape. I was close enough to the eye to not get all the rain Houston got . Didn't have a generator the first few days. Ended up getting my dads after he got power back . I plan to buy one after the madness settles down . What size would I need to keep my freezers and a window unit running ? Something fuel efficient. The one I had burned about 6 gallons every 8 hrs . Fuel was hard to come by. Had to drive about 50 miles one way to get fuel every day .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would depend on the size of your window unit and the number of freezers, based on the watts and amps that they pull.

I used one of those small 2000 watt Honda generators after Ike and was running 2 refrigerators along with lamps, fans, tv, phone chargers. They are very fuel efficient, but more expensive than a lot of others.

I now own a Briggs and Stratton 3750 watt/5250 starting watts generator, and during Harvey I ran 3 refrigerator/ freezers, tv, lamps, phone chargers, fans.

Best I can tell, it burned about 7-8 gallons of fuel during a total run time of 23 hours. We were without power for 35 hours, but I shut it down 3 times for several hours, as the refrigerators will stay cold for quite a while without power.

I have a 6000 btu air conditioner that I had planned to use, but we were lucky that the temps were in the low 70's, so didn't need to run it. The air conditioner pulls 540 watts, and I had calculated that I still had plenty of capacity with the 3750 watts of the generator.

Your mileage may vary, but these have been my experiences.

Comment

I have two freezers . Not sure on the size of the ac it's a small unit. One I was using was a 6500 .

Comment

I don't have nay input on the generator, but did you lose the stuff in your freezer or did you get the generator in time to save it? Thinking of all that beautiful bacon!

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          I have two freezers . Not sure on the size of the ac it's a small unit. One I was using was a 6500 .

Write down the electrical information on the electric motor plates and talk to Mr. Horvath on Rio Grande next to Auto Zone.
          That man has forgotten more about generators and electric motors than you can imagine. He does the manufacture repairs for Generac and several other generator manufactures.

Also, in advance fill some one gallon jugs 3/4 full and freeze them. once they are solid, cut the tops off and expose the airspace and leave in the very bottom of the freezer. Leave those in the freezer all the time. Sfrozen salt water will stay colder longer because the freeze temperature is lower but I cant remember the ratio of salt / water.
          Our freezer stayed good for 4 days without power because of the block ice. Still had frozen dewberries and blueberries on day 4.

Comment

also, Lentz in vitoria got in a bunch of the 120 / 240 30 amp male twist plugs for generators this week if you have that type of female on your generator and need to connect a water well.

Comment

Just my $0.02 but consider a unit that will run on propane, the fuel will store and not junk up the system. Gasoline in storage goes bad fairly soon. A 50# or 100# cylinder is affordable and will run for extended time periods.

Comment

I assume you ran heavy extension cords. Please- don't back feed into your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                  I assume you ran heavy extension cords. Please- don't back feed into your house.

Nothing wrong with it, as long as you know what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagledad01 View Post
                    Just my $0.02 but consider a unit that will run on propane, the fuel will store and not junk up the system. Gasoline in storage goes bad fairly soon. A 50# or 100# cylinder is affordable and will run for extended time periods.

I would like to hear some real time info on running propane. I read somewhere a 20# tank is equivalent to 5 gallons of gas.

As far a generator goes, buy big enough so you can closer to 50% or less power. That should help conserve fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                      I don't have nay input on the generator, but did you lose the stuff in your freezer or did you get the generator in time to save it? Thinking of all that beautiful bacon!

All my bacon is good [emoji3]. Made sure of that . Took it to my dads . Did lose some chickens and quail.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbar View Post
                        Write down the electrical information on the electric motor plates and talk to Mr. Horvath on Rio Grande next to Auto Zone.

That man has forgotten more about generators and electric motors than you can imagine. He does the manufacture repairs for Generac and several other generator manufactures.

Also, in advance fill some one gallon jugs 3/4 full and freeze them. once they are solid, cut the tops off and expose the airspace and leave in the very bottom of the freezer. Leave those in the freezer all the time. Sfrozen salt water will stay colder longer because the freeze temperature is lower but I cant remember the ratio of salt / water.

Our freezer stayed good for 4 days without power because of the block ice. Still had frozen dewberries and blueberries on day 4.

Thanks will talk to him next time I'm in town

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post

Didn't back feed just plugged in to the generator. I do have heavy cords that I can use it I decide to rig up to back feed

Comment

Originally posted by TallTexan View Post
                            I would like to hear some real time info on running propane. I read somewhere a 20# tank is equivalent to 5 gallons of gas.

As far a generator goes, buy big enough so you can closer to 50% or less power. That should help conserve fuel.

My house runs on propane so that would be the best option. Have a 500 gal tank

Comment

I like the propane suggestion

Comment

Working...
                              X