Interior Paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior Paint question

For those DIYer's, I've done my share of light remodeling and paint work.

Here's my question, one thing that I've always avoided is doors and door jambs. What do y'all recommend for these two items? I'm thinking a quality name brand Oil Based paint. Right or wrong, let me know.

I ask because I'm about to paint a large upstairs family room and the General Contractor (My lovely wife) wants all doors, trim and molding painted including the stairs.

Thanks, Craig

If the General insist on paint I would go with a good oil.

Comment

Oil but paint outside.
      Oil bases paint just STINKS!

Comment

Since you will not be able to paint everything outside, use a good oil Valspar, SHerwin Williams, Glidden...they all have a good one. The key is buy a very good brush for oil. It will make the paint lay down smooth and without stroke marks. Take your time....ventilate well for a few days. You should be able to cover in one coat. Practice if you need to.

(I am not a painter but I did watch a Holiday Inn commercial once)

JayB

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I plan to paint soon before it gets too hot. I agree on the brush, I have had a few paint brushes for several years. A well taken care of quality brush will last as long time if the wife and kids don't use it. They are kept hidden away.

Thanks again.

Comment

A few tips from someone that used to manage a Sherwin Williams, your right Oil base is the most durable for doors and trims, there is a new product out there called a Water-Based Alkyd, all the ease of water baseed paint but durability of oil base. Down side is the cost is really up there somewhere arround 60$ a gal for anything worth looking at. Brushes for Alkyd (oil) paint always use a natural bristle brush, no synthetics or blends paint will stick to brush not surface. last tip dont laugh i have seen it work many times if you do use oil based paint and are worried about the smell raid your wife's spice cabnet in the kitchen and get some liquid vanila extract, add a FEW (2-3 drops/gal) and stir paint again. It does not completley remove the oil based oder but it will reduce the oder and no you room will not smell like vanila.

Comment

@ SMRaider. Ive owned a paint contracting business here in Midland for over 20 years. Just wondering if I know you since you said managed a SW store. ???

Comment

Look at the specs on the Behr paints from Home Depot. They may surprise you.

Comment

I was at the Midland SW store for just over a year in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by SMRaider View Post
                    I was at the Midland SW store for just over a year in 2011.
                    Im Clint Bollier, Bollier & co. Painting/ Construction

Comment

Working...
                    X