Lease Risk - Finding Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Risk - Finding Hunters

OK, I know the literal risk of what I am about to ask. What I am trying to do is figure how risky it would really be.

If I were to pull the trigger on a $10K-$20K lease within 2.5 hours or less of DFW with a per gun price of $2K-$2.5K and 200-250 acres per hunter, are the odds pretty good that I could fill that lease with hunters?

The lease I am on now is overcrowded and we can't reduce hunter numbers because it would make it unaffordable for at least 6 of the 10 hunters.

I probably wouldn't be as concerned about doing this if I had been hunting as long as a lot of folks on here and had all the hunting contacts. But I don't.

Has anyone done this themselves and did it work out?

Putting a new group together on a new lease will be challenging. Finding a good group is harder than finding a good lease IMO.

Comment

If the land is right and you don't get panicky, I'd say do it for sure. Fill it with like minded folks. Lot's of folks looking these days. Depending on the numbers you are looking for I might even be able to put you in contact with a group.

Comment

I think you could do it, just be sure that the new place has game. IMO that is the only deal killer.

Comment

Not asking for specifics on exact location but what areaor county of Texas are you talking about and that would answer 80% of your question.

Also I would get ready for a full PM box.
          Last edited by KactusKiller; 01-25-2015, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks. My two prerequisites are game and a reasonable landowner. And I have time so I wouldn't have to panic getting hunters on board.

One thing that makes one of the properties tricky for getting hunters is no guests and that includes children. Priced fair at $10 per acre, lots of game on a beautiful property, LO has just had some bad experiences with hunters and their guests in the past and doesn't want the risk.

I think on that one, I might have a hard time getting 7 more hunters. The question is could I at least get 5. And that is when the reality of the risk hits home.

Comment

Yep the no guests would be tricky as far as the kids. I myself have me and two others that would be interested if its within 2 hrs especially if its in the Erath area but kids and wife would be a must since it would an extra lease to take the family on quicker trips. Our current place is 4hrs and isn't really conducive to getting the kids out much with all their activities.

If you find such a place I'd probably have 3.

Comment

You could fill it in a second, but it might take you years to fill it with like minded hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
                  OK, I know the literal risk of what I am about to ask. What I am trying to do is figure how risky it would really be.

If I were to pull the trigger on a $10K-$20K lease within 2.5 hours or less of DFW with a per gun price of $2K-$2.5K and 200-250 acres per hunter, are the odds pretty good that I could fill that lease with hunters?

The lease I am on now is overcrowded and we can't reduce hunter numbers because it would make it unaffordable for at least 6 of the 10 hunters.

I probably wouldn't be as concerned about doing this if I had been hunting as long as a lot of folks on here and had all the hunting contacts. But I don't.

Has anyone done this themselves and did it work out?
                  If you find a GOOD lease for 2k-2.5k....give me a call.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    Not asking for specifics on exact location but what areaor county of Texas are you talking about and that would answer 80% of your question.

Also I would get ready for a full PM box.
                    One I already missed out on. Another is about 140 miles east of DFW area where I live (Colleyville). But I just started considering this option after I saw several other properties leased so quickly.

So it would likely be anywhere from Erath County, Palo Pinto County, Eastland, Throckmorton, Stephens, Young, maybe Jack to name a few. Probably not east of DFW.

Comment

Here is my honest opinion. If you have to ask this question, you are not ready to take on this.

Comment

I think you wouldn't have a problem at all filling it. Seems like everyone and their brother is looking for a lease right now.

Comment

i have a group of 6-8 ready to go (with money in hand) -for what you are describing.
                          Last edited by wes122984; 01-25-2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Everybody is looking for a lease, everybody is ready to get on a lease until it is time to pay. Lots of guys are all talk and no action. Good luck to you - it can be done but it can be a pain in the back side too.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                              Here is my honest opinion. If you have to ask this question, you are not ready to take on this.
                              With all due respect, I think I know the answer to the question. I am just trying to be diligent to see if there is anything I have not factored into my thinking. Thus far, there isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X