Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for management minded lease members (Schleicher county)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump

Comment

****, wish it wasnt 5-5.5 hours from dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWfirefighter View Post
        ****, wish it wasnt 5-5.5 hours from dallas.
        4.5 from Mansfield to camp well worth the drive

Comment

Videoed this guy Saturday afternoon
          Last edited by 8pointer; 01-19-2015, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Wait......so an experienced hunter can shoot any baby pinhead "spike" he sees but he has to have a 6 year old six or eight point approved by you?

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
              Wait......so an experienced hunter can shoot any baby pinhead "spike" he sees but he has to have a 6 year old six or eight point approved by you?
              That is correct. The hunter can shoot the 6 year old un-approved as his trophy if he so chooses.

Comment

Sounds like a great place... I am the lease manager on our place in McCulloch county....

I just wanted to ask a question.. Why must you approve what members shoot?

The reason I ask, is that we always see Mature bucks in the rut that have never been seen before and lots of times are never seen again....

Not trying to get off topic.. Just curious.. Looks like a great property!!

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                  Sounds like a great place... I am the lease manager on our place in McCulloch county....

I just wanted to ask a question.. Why must you approve what members shoot?

The reason I ask, is that we always see Mature bucks in the rut that have never been seen before and lots of times are never seen again....

Not trying to get off topic.. Just curious.. Looks like a great property!!
                  It's a great question. We only require a cull/management buck to be approved. This is because unfortunately some hunters try to stretch bucks into culls and management bucks, when they really are not, just to shoot an extra buck.

I completely understand where you are coming from, talking about new bucks showing during the rut that we haven't seen before.

A little back story: When Buck (TXbuck74) and I acquired the lease last year, the landowner had it set where each member could kill 1 trophy and 1 spike, plus does. Not a mention of management bucks. I asked the question "well what about management bucks and culls". I then began to plead my case explaining how important it was to shoot culls and management bucks when necessary. He agreed but under the condition that HE would approve the culls. Reason being as stated above.

After our first season under our belt, the landowner has now allowed me as the lease manager to give the ok on culls. My long term goal with the right group of hunters that are clicking on all cylinders, we could get rid of the whole approved thing......but we're not there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                    That is correct. The hunter can shoot the 6 year old un-approved as his trophy if he so chooses.
                    That rule may be an issue to long time hunters and lessen the people you have to choose from.

Comment

PMs returned

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                        It's a great question. We only require a cull/management buck to be approved. This is because unfortunately some hunters try to stretch bucks into culls and management bucks, when they really are not, just to shoot an extra buck.

I completely understand where you are coming from, talking about new bucks showing during the rut that we haven't seen before.

A little back story: When Buck (TXbuck74) and I acquired the lease last year, the landowner had it set where each member could kill 1 trophy and 1 spike, plus does. Not a mention of management bucks. I asked the question "well what about management bucks and culls". I then began to plead my case explaining how important it was to shoot culls and management bucks when necessary. He agreed but under the condition that HE would approve the culls. Reason being as stated above.

After our first season under our belt, the landowner has now allowed me as the lease manager to give the ok on culls. My long term goal with the right group of hunters that are clicking on all cylinders, we could get rid of the whole approved thing......but we're not there yet.
                        Makes perfect sense to me. I have seen a lot of guys over the years trying to shoot a "trophy" cull instead of whacking the true trash buck that needs to go.

I would think this method would keep down on a lot of the normal lease BS.

Comment

Beautiful country out there. My favorite place in Texas. I hunted on a small part of Holt's place South of Christoval on Toe nail trail for a couple of years it was a blast.

Comment

Nice buck on the video!

Comment

Are there already some blinds set up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jdade24 View Post
                                Are there already some blinds set up?
                                Yes. There are 4 or 5 box blinds that can be moved or used by new hunters. I think there are 2 tripods that can be used. I also have a corn feeder someone can use. There are also some feeder pens that will be left.

Comment

Working...
                                X