No announcement yet.

Amistad NRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the Aoudad on property I own about 15 miles north of area 4 (spot and stalk). Fred scored it. I think it's # 7 in Texas with a bow (fair chase). I spent a number of attempts before I got one. I've taken a dozen or more.

I'm going to share some insight on my experience at Amistad. I'm happy to help anyone with advice on what works best, but won't guide or tell you where to find deer. Just PM me if you want some tips. I haven't seen an Aoudad in any of the hunt areas except 4. I heard someone shot one in 5, but I think that was opening day.

Amistad is very hard hunting, but rewarding. The deer are extremely pressured and amongst the toughest challenge.

Contrary to what Fred said, I've never seen a pig and doubt very seriously that anyone has seen one in the last 5 years (certainly not area 5... Amongst the most rocky). I've never seen Mouflon anywhere but 5. The best time for them is January and February!

I love, love, love hunting with a bow. I have a wonderful wife and have hunted Amistad probably more than 1000 days in the last 7 years. My work schedule is such that I can hunt every evening and most weekends if I want. I have seen good bucks in past years. I've taken 2 doe this year and passed on a number of young bucks. I've seen a 150 class buck the weekend before opening day. I hate seeing so many people walking around in early and late shooting light... That ruins everyone's best opportunity. It ruins my hunt, but I live here. I believe in everyone's right to shoot during legal light. Texas law is very clear on legal shooting light. You won't have much success with spot and stalk on deer, god knows I've tried.

Comment

Do you have something to hide?
      Funny you would mention this...

You won't have much success with spot and stalk on deer, god knows I've tried.
      I think many of us have over the years. And you're right. You won't have much luck. They will always see you first.

The most opportunity I've had on deer out there was finding a good trail and sitting on it in a ground blind (made of natural materials) or driving the points out in the lake with 1 or 2 other hunters. We would always do the latter mid-day, just to pass the time and we often got shot opportunities. I hunt with traditional gear, so a walking or running shot - so long as it's close - doesn't worry me at all.

Driving some of the narrow fingers can provide some of the most exciting hunting experiences a person will ever have. It's not easy, and you must be in shape, but it's a ton of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by boweye View Post
        I hunt Amistad 3 days a week, but if I lived somewhere else I wouldn't be driving here to hunt. Fred is trying to flood the areas... ask him why?
        If you know something fill us in.

Fred. Did you run the amistad bow hunter website?

Comment

All my spot and stalk attempts were while walking into a hunt area. I'm like you and use the brush or my T100 tripod. I've never tried the drives, and usually hunt alone. Hard to drive by myself

Comment

I've jumped does walking in but right after a couple of hops they disappear its really green and thick out there......i had a really good stalk on a muflon full curl but didn't have a clean shot and if any chance I had it would of been a sky line shot and if I missed well it is public land and I ain't taking those kind of chances.....

Comment

This is my brother and my fourth year to hunt Amistad. Im glad we started hunting there. We've carry in tripods and sit on trails or natural funnels. We go three to four times a year for four days and have killed three deer. Ive seen a large influx in people just in four years. Would have loved to hunt there in the earlier days. The crowd doesnt bother me so much and sometimes helps by keeping the deer up and moving. I do get a tad upset when Im hidden in a tripod and someone walks up about 75 yards and plops down on the ground. I kind of stood up and waved and the guy just sat there the rest of the evening. I didnt want to get down because I would hate to mess up others that may be around by walking out during prime time. Needless to say it was a very boring evening. Im going to keep going and see what happens. I think it will go in spurts as the "amateurs" get tired of not killing, but who knows. I do agree with what someone else posted about the price of hunting having something to do with the increased in public land pressure.

Comment

I'm sure this will upset some of you, but we have had a lot of success at Amistad. A group of us will do drives and have been very successful at harvesting deer and mouflon. I won't give specifics of how and where we do them but I'm sure if you see a group of hunters doing a drive you feel like it messes up your hunt.

Comment

There you go...there are a lot of great opportunities here and this is the last post as some took offense which was not the desire. But, it is good to see that those who hunt here regularly can offer up some help to others...thanks Matt. There are not many opportunities in the state of Texas and this is a great place for those willing to spend the time and patience when hunting without the aid of feed. Be respectful of others and there ground and you will do well. Good luck to all and remember that as hunters we need to stick together. Cheers!
                  Fred
                  P.S.....I have never run the Amistad Bowhunter website...I think Mike Reppert is the one you would like to contact.

Comment

I took the Aoudad on property I own about 15 miles north of area 4 (spot and stalk). Fred scored it. I think it's # 7 in Texas with a bow (fair chase). I spent a number of attempts before I got one. I've taken a dozen or more.

I'm going to share some insight on my experience at Amistad. I'm happy to help anyone with advice on what works best, but won't guide or tell you where to find deer. Just PM me if you want some tips. I haven't seen an Aoudad in any of the hunt areas except 4. I heard someone shot one in 5, but I think that was opening day.

Amistad is very hard hunting, but rewarding. The deer are extremely pressured and amongst the toughest challenge.

Contrary to what Fred said, I've never seen a pig and doubt very seriously that anyone has seen one in the last 5 years (certainly not area 5... Amongst the most rocky). I've never seen Mouflon anywhere but 5. The best time for them is January and February!

I love, love, love hunting with a bow. I have a wonderful wife and have hunted Amistad probably more than 1000 days in the last 7 years. My work schedule is such that I can hunt every evening and most weekends if I want. I have seen good bucks in past years. I've taken 2 doe this year and passed on a number of young bucks. I've seen a 150 class buck the weekend before opening day. I hate seeing so many people walking around in early and late shooting light... That ruins everyone's best opportunity. It ruins my hunt, but I live here. I believe in everyone's right to shoot during legal light. Texas law is very clear on legal shooting light. You won't have much success with spot and stalk on deer, god knows I've tried.
                    Now...that is what it is all about!...Way to go Matt!

Comment

If you come to Amistad, please be courteous. Do the deer drives after 10am, don't walk around the whole place at first light, don't target practice with you shotgun like some idiot did on Saturday morning.

I don't know why so many have so little consideration for anyone else.

Comment

If you come to Amistad, please be courteous. Do the deer drives after 10am, don't walk around the whole place at first light, don't target practice with you shotgun like some idiot did on Saturday morning.

Well it sounds like you had a terrible morning.... That's why the more people go out there the more dangerous it gets, last thing someone needs is some bird shot to the back...!!!!

Comment

Agreed, with the crowd now manners become increasingly important.
                          As for the target practice, I thought I read in the rules that practice of any kind is prohibited, even bows.

I'm heading down Friday night from SA if anyone wants to tag along.

Comment

we were supposed to be going Fri-Mon but that got canceled for now. We might try to get out there some time next year. we mainly go after the mouflon and aoudad so later is probably better anyways..........

Good luck

Comment

We are here now. Does anyone know for sure if bikes are allowed? We have been coming for four years and bringing bikes. Last night the ranger was at the gate waiting on us, which was no problem. After he checked us he said that bikes are not allowed, almost as an afterthought. I told him, nicely, that we had been biking in and out for four years. Then he said he would have to check and he'd get back with us. We gave him our phone number but haven't heard back.

We went to the visitor center today after the morning hunt. However, no one there could tell us for sure either but the one guy thought bikes were not allowed except to get deer out of the woods, which really doesn't make a lot of since to me.

Anyone have any insight on this? We'll be here till Sunday probably.

Comment

Ive seen people riding bikes in there but cant find anything in the regs

Comment

Working...
                                X