3.0 Eco diesel owners, engine problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.0 Eco diesel owners, engine problems?

My wife drives 2014 Jeep grand Cherokee with 3.0 eco diesel... it has been our favorite vehicle ever. It gets 28-29 mpg on hwy cruising 75+, we drove it to the top of Cumberland Pass in Colorado, just a great vehicle, until now. It shut down while she was driving last week, and now the dealer has had the engineers out to look at it. I just left and what they told me about it not starting is "it's a head-scratcher for the engineers, the technicians, all of us" ***?!? no codes or anything; now they are gonna pull the trans to check cam shaft position and yada yada yada. Anyone else had similar trouble with this engine? It is the same one they put in the 1/2 ton trucks.

Not that engine, but a ton of electrical issues with my wife's 2012 JGC. Good luck, hope it's under warranty.

Comment

I've read about bottom end letting go on the 2014 ones. Some EGR or oil cooler problems, and a spun camshaft gear that caused pistons to meet valves.

It seems like they got the problems mostly figured out with the new ones. Now if they can get the EPA to back off then they can sell them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas276 View Post
        Not that engine, but a ton of electrical issues with my wife's 2012 JGC. Good luck, hope it's under warranty.
        Yep wife had a 2011 traded it in 2106 and the lights wouldnt even work. P.o.s never again. Cust service was even worst.

Comment

We also have a 2014 JGC ecodiesel with a bit over 70k on the odometer. We had some EGR problems around 20k, they ended up replacing the catalytic converter like they did on pretty much all the early ecodiesels. Fortunately we haven't had any problems since.

How many miles do you currently have?

What were the symptoms before it shut down?

Comment

Forgot about catalytic converter...we had that changed early on also.... but no major problems since, and we are at 60k miles now. 2 weeks ago it "was rumbling really loud" she said.... I got home and drove it and of course it ran perfect....had oil changed next day and the checked for codes...none.... a week later she is driving and it made the same "rumble" and then just shut off.... now it spins over and sounds like an engine without fuel..... no codes... no start
            Last edited by pafdrn; 05-23-2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Did you get the 100k warranty or standard factory warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pafdrn View Post
                Forgot about catalytic converter...we had that changed early on also.... but no major problems since, and we are at 60k miles now. 2 weeks ago it "was rumbling really loud" she said.... I got home and drove it and of course it ran perfect....had oil changed next day and the checked for codes...none.... a week later she is driving and it made the same "rumble" and then just shut off.... now it spins over and sounds like an engine without fuel..... no codes... no start
                Sounds like it "got" (pistons hit the valves) the valves to me.
                Could be the fuel pump, but they should know that by now.

Comment

Not the fuel pump, cause surely that was the first thing checked.... what confuses me on the valves is how it would have done it last week (it was about a 3 mile drive home that she said it was running horrible) and then went back to running perfect for a week before total failure. Seems if it slipped timing, it would not have been temporary like the first episode. ????

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                    Did you get the 100k warranty or standard factory warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotta look, but I am pretty positive I got the 100k warranty. I don't normally buy extended warranties, but I remember saying to my wife that this being the first year for the ecodiesel in the jeep would be good reason to get the extra warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by pafdrn View Post
                      I gotta look, but I am pretty positive I got the 100k warranty. I don't normally buy extended warranties, but I remember saying to my wife that this being the first year for the ecodiesel in the jeep would be good reason to get the extra warranty.
                      When you turned the vehicle into the service writer, it should have showed up with the VIN. If you don't and it's not going to be covered under any warranty, I would not have the dealer do the work unless you feel more comfortable with them and the higher costs.

Comment

If you don't mind scanning to find more info you can look here.

Ram1500Diesel.com is the largest RAM 1500 Diesel forum community on the web with discussions on 2014+ Ram EcoDiesel trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing capacity, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!

Comment

2015 Ram 39k miles no problems so far.

Comment

Where you still running the 5w-30 euro oil, they change the recommended oil to 5w-40 rotella T6 full synthetic sometime in early 2016, you can read all about it and why on that ram1500diesel site, the '15 and '16s seem to have been solid engines since they worked some of the bugs out of the '14, shame the govt. won't let them be sold anymore in 2017.
                            Last edited by bossbowman; 05-24-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                              Where you still running the 5w-30 euro oil, they change the recommended oil to 5w-40 rotella T6 full synthetic sometime in early 2016, you can read all about it and why on that ram1500diesel site, the '15 and '16s seem to have been solid engines since they worked some of the bugs out of the '14, shame the govt. won't let them be sold anymore in 2017.
                              Dealer told me they will have 2018 EcoDiesels
                              Last edited by hunt247; 05-24-2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X