Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > It's All About the Video
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 11:58 PM   #1
Djhester
Four Point
 
Djhester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Keller
Default Doe Kill and Luna's First Track

A couple of interesting things to watch in this video. 1) The buck's exit strategy. 2) The arrows flight after the hit. 3) The dog's first find. It was here that I wish I took the time to video her. I was more concerned about training her than videoing the track. However she did so well for her first track, I wish I would've filmed it.

We rescued Luna at 18 weeks. I had her on the ranch at 2 weeks later where she was first introduced to a blood trail and a down deer. The deer was shot a little far back by a buddy's daughter in the evening hunt and the doe was live so Luna didn't really get good practice.

On January 3rd, I put a good shot on this doe and hoped to have her follow an experience dog. My brother's Catahoula was busy on another track, so I took Luna out on her own. She went above and beyond my expectations tracking this doe in high broom weed.

The doe entered the broom weed further out than I thought and she found the track. The deer took a 90 degree turn and one point and she stayed on the blood helping us find the doe quickly. The doe had traveled about 75 yards.

Luna was described as a Catahoula, but I believe she is likely a mix. Regardless, she has a great nose and the drive to track and has an excellent disposition. She successfully completed this track at 21 weeks old with very little training.


Last edited by Djhester; 01-05-2020 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Having trouble embedding the video
Djhester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
GregO
Eight Point
 
GregO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cedar Park
Default

Great video, thanks for sharing. Luna looks so much like Pepper. Pepper is doing great. She has spent a lot of time at the ranch, but she was at home when I shot a deer a few weeks ago. Hopefully I will have some video of her to share in the near future.
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
Duckologist
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: SW Louisiana
Default

Looks like maybe that arrow skipped off the ground after the pass through. That buck whacked his horns on dat feeder on his way through there.
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Djhester
Four Point
 
Djhester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Keller
Default

Quote:
Great video, thanks for sharing. Luna looks so much like Pepper. Pepper is doing great. She has spent a lot of time at the ranch, but she was at home when I shot a deer a few weeks ago. Hopefully I will have some video of her to share in the near future.
That is great to hear. Luna loves the lease. She's only been out there twice, but she has a ball. She interacts well with the other hunters, dogs, and especially the kids. I was amazed at how well she tracked with almost no training. I wish I'd have had my wife video her on the track. Maybe next time.
Djhester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
Djhester
Four Point
 
Djhester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Keller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
Looks like maybe that arrow skipped off the ground after the pass through. That buck whacked his horns on dat feeder on his way through there.
Yep. The arrow was easy to find thanks to the video. I've rewatched a few times, just to see that buck dive under the feeder.
Djhester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
texaslongshot
Ten Point
 
texaslongshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgetown
Hunt In: Mills
Default

great video congrats
texaslongshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Great shot and video! Congrats!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #8
robbyayala
Ten Point
 
robbyayala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cotulla
Hunt In: LaSalle County, Colorado, Manitoba
Default

I bet doe didn't go far!! Congrats on backstraps!
robbyayala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
Djhester
Four Point
 
Djhester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Keller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyayala View Post
I bet doe didn't go far!! Congrats on backstraps!
You are correct. About 60 yards in the tall broom weed. Just enough to give us a good training track.

And that backstrap chicken fried was pretty dang good.
Djhester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
twdjr
Ten Point
 
twdjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Willis, TX
Default

Congrats!
twdjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #11
Harrisd23
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Default

That's one happy dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhester View Post
A couple of interesting things to watch in this video. 1) The buck's exit strategy. 2) The arrows flight after the hit. 3) The dog's first find. It was here that I wish I took the time to video her. I was more concerned about training her than videoing the track. However she did so well for her first track, I wish I would've filmed it.

We rescued Luna at 18 weeks. I had her on the ranch at 2 weeks later where she was first introduced to a blood trail and a down deer. The deer was shot a little far back by a buddy's daughter in the evening hunt and the doe was live so Luna didn't really get good practice.

On January 3rd, I put a good shot on this doe and hoped to have her follow an experience dog. My brother's Catahoula was busy on another track, so I took Luna out on her own. She went above and beyond my expectations tracking this doe in high broom weed.

The doe entered the broom weed further out than I thought and she found the track. The deer took a 90 degree turn and one point and she stayed on the blood helping us find the doe quickly. The doe had traveled about 75 yards.

Luna was described as a Catahoula, but I believe she is likely a mix. Regardless, she has a great nose and the drive to track and has an excellent disposition. She successfully completed this track at 21 weeks old with very little training.

Doe Harvest with Bow - YouTube
Harrisd23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com