No announcement yet.

Fly fishing out of a kayak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a PMs over what I was referring to as a drag chain.

Finally got around to taking a pic of my drag chain set up cause I guess it's not all too common apparently. All it is is a 2ft section of 3/8 chain, a carabiner, a 25ft ft of paracord, a float, and a cam lock carabiner from nite ize.

Throw the chain out and depending on current or wind speed you adjust your line accordingly. More line out gives you a slower drift. 10mph or under winds, I can anchor my boat using this set up as well. I'll clip this to my anchor trolley and can use that to adjust my boat position and also unclip it I'm fighting a big fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      The Predator is now a $300 rod.
      I looked at them on line and they have completely changed them. Mine are dark brown. I will keep using my Sage Smallmouth and Largemouth before buying any more.

Comment

I bought a new rod and gave it a go on the river Saturday. Much different than my 9 ft rod and felt like a broomstick in the beginning, I cast in the yard for an hour till I got a feel for it.

Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Caught a few bass on this little deal, till the wind kicked up. The darker the color the better the bite and I had lost the black and silver clouser earlier that morning to a large wood bass.

Comment

After the wind kicked up, I switched over to my ultralight rod. I rigged up a Berkley 3" Power Grub weedless. I caught a lot of fish with this setup that day. Bream, warmouth perch, gar, bass and one little channel cat. You never know what you will catch on the river.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
              Got a PMs over what I was referring to as a drag chain.

Finally got around to taking a pic of my drag chain set up cause I guess it's not all too common apparently. All it is is a 2ft section of 3/8 chain, a carabiner, a 25ft ft of paracord, a float, and a cam lock carabiner from nite ize.

Throw the chain out and depending on current or wind speed you adjust your line accordingly. More line out gives you a slower drift. 10mph or under winds, I can anchor my boat using this set up as well. I'll clip this to my anchor trolley and can use that to adjust my boat position and also unclip it I'm fighting a big fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

We used them a lot in corpus Wade fishing to keep the yaks behind us while working a flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                Good info, thanks. Where are you finding the frog flies?
                I see you're in Wilson County. We flyfish in kayaks at the confluence of the Guad and the Comal often. Go check out Gruene Outfitters if you ever get a chance. Couple of younger people in the back who love to provide good help. Lots of cool flies to choose from, even deer hair frogs.

Comment

Working...
                X