Spicewood Swine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spicewood Swine

I picked up a pig trapping job just a few miles from the house a couple of weeks ago.
    I also just got a new Texas Hog Trap at the same time. Coincidence? I think not.
    My yellow brick road of corn was irresistible and i dropped the gate about 9 PM. Got them all out last night with the help of my trusty truck broom and a little brute force.
    1 boar, 2 sows, and 6 shoats. All shoats got butchered this am then hauled the others to town. Boar weighed 225 and was a real pendejo.
    Attached Files

Looks like this guy missed the big dance.
    Attached Files

Comment

Golden Corral back open for holiday buffet.
      Attached Files

Comment

Very cool. Nice payday

Comment

Originally posted by ostey22 View Post
          Very cool. Nice payday
          As long as I don't count corn or fuel I come out on top every time!

Comment

First, great job, catching them!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the procedure? Are you turning in live hogs for x-amount-per-pound, on the hoof, or do you dispatch them and have to field dress? I know Bastrop County did have a bounty of $5 per tail at one time.

Comment

Yes the buyer won't purchase a hog under 60 lbs. The bigger the pig, the better price per pound with bonuses for pigs over a certain weight.

Anything under 100 gets butchered at home. 60 lb hogs are only worth .05 yes 5 cents per pound. So they go in the freezer.

Comment

Nice, where you getting them in Spicewood ? Been seeing some towards Stonewall. Looking at making some traps to try and stop the invasion.

Comment

Just a couple of miles N of 71.

Comment

Been seeing a few hit off 71 right before 281. Hard to believe their thriving in that rocky area

Comment

Well, it has been quiet until earlier this week.

The boar that showed up late last month started coming through with a little running buddy between 3 and 4 AM every night since Sunday.

I set a 4 AM alarm for this morning and had them caught at 4:16. I should have him over to the buyer by 6:30 PM.

Any weight guesses? He is wider and rounder than the last boar, but not quite as tall.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I just painted the ground gold in my pen trap tonight--pigs have been in it for about 15 nights running, so I should have a good catch in the AM.

Comment

188 lbs. Thanks so much for playing!!

And to think I was going to randomly select one participant for an all expenses paid trip to Furr's cafeteria.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                            I just painted the ground gold in my pen trap tonight--pigs have been in it for about 15 nights running, so I should have a good catch in the AM.
                            Sounds like the odds are stacked in your favor. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                              Sounds like the odds are stacked in your favor. I like it.
                              Yep--odds were in my favor but no hogs. Corn under the feeder 50 yds away was gone though. I'll check again tomorrow . . . and Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X