Val Verde County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
    One of our guys was hunting this weekend. He said he was still seeing plenty of chasing on our place.
    I have been out and about this last three days and have seen multiple bucks cruising in broad day light. I have never seen such an extended period for the rut.

Comment

I'm hoping to make it back out either the weekend after Christmas or the final weekend. If all else fails, I'll go back the first weekend of spike/doe season. I kinda hate to go during the spike/doe season because I always see the big ones then.

They seem to come out of hiding knowing they're not in danger anymore.

I'm down to shooting culls, sheep and pigs anyway. I let the GF shoot my other mature deer.

Comment

Originally posted by jheflinland View Post
        Anybody have recommendations for cell phone boosters? We have excellent AT&T service on about 1/2 of our lease. Zero service in our camphouse. If we walk out the door 100 yards it works perfect. We want to invest a good booster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Did you get your booster yet? Did it help?
        That was sure a nice buck your hunter killed. Wasn't that one supposed to walk out in front of you and pose for a shot?

I know y'all have feeder pens. If you had to build another one what kind of panels would you use?

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sotol View Post
          That was sure a nice buck your hunter killed. Wasn't that one supposed to walk out in front of you and pose for a shot?

I know y'all have feeder pens. If you had to build another one what kind of panels would you use?

We use the hog panels for our pens! Works great!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
            We use the hog panels for our pens! Works great!

I would but we have Satan's spawn on our lease. Effing goats!!!

Comment

We only need to exclude hogs. There aren't any livestock on our place.

We have mostly hot panels for our pens with a couple cattle panels mixed in. The smaller hogs get through the bigger holes on the cattle panels so we're gonna have to fix those this spring. All hog panels from now on. 9 panels is a great size.

Comment

I would but we have Satan's spawn on our lease. Effing goats!!!

Cattle panel is taller. Would that help?

Comment

There are goat panels. They have very small holes that make it less likely goats will decide to get their heads stuck in the panel and die at your feeder. But the last time I checked they're significantly more expensive than hog or cattle panels.

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
                    Cattle panel is taller. Would that help?

Those little devil tend to stick their head in things and their horns get hung up.
                    I know Jackie has dealt with them.

The big billies are the worst.

Comment

Goat panels

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                        There are goat panels. They have very small holes that make it less likely goats will decide to get their heads stuck in the panel and die at your feeder. But the last time I checked they're significantly more expensive than hog or cattle panels.
                        That sort of enters into it. It ends up being a big investment on a place that is leased.

Comment

That sort of enters into it. It ends up being a big investment on a place that is leased.

Investment that'll make it worth it I'm
                          When you get off take them with you or sell em to someone on the lease.

Comment

That's true, but they are not permanent. Wire cutters and a tpost puller will take a pen down quickly. Then take the components to your next lease.

Comment

We haven’t got a booster yet. Waiting until I get deposits gathered up from everyone for next year.

You have to use the panels with the 4x4 inch squares. They call them utility panels, and they come in 20 foot lengths. The first pens we built we bought the 48 inch tall ones, and found a couple dead deer hung in them a few months after we set them up. We cut them down to 40 inches and have had no problems since. I have also used the 36 inch tall panels and a select few of the most “athletic” goats can jump them. From now on I will buy 48 inch panels and cut them down to 40 inches.

I bought all my panels from Triple C Hardware in Ozona. I think they were around $40 each.

Minimum of 7 panels and 14 t-posts per pen. I would prefer to have about 10 panels per pen but we have done everything on a budget. I pick spots where I can drive t-posts pretty deep before setting anything up any more. Some areas where we can’t drive t-posts we have used barrels filled with rocks.

Comment

PS: if you come across cheap or free cattle panels, you can use them. Just wrap chicken wire or welded wire around it, and it will keep goats from stick their head through.

Comment

Working...
                                X