Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrel break in

I got a new Windham AR-10.

The directions say to run 100 rounds through it to break in the barrel, clean it, and then sight it in.

Does it really take 100 rounds to break in the barrel?
    How much are the rounds apt to stray during the break in period?

He was in the military and a police armorer. Plus, he's old . He says don't worry about it

Comment

I'd just about reverse those steps. Clean it first: many manufacturers put oil or grease in the barrels to prevent rust or contamination, sight it in, and keep shoot. Clean it again when accuracy falls off in however many rounds (hundreds usually).

Comment

When all else fails follow the directions. If something goes wrong and you didn't follow their break-in instructions you may be SOL.

Comment

I would clean it before shooting it. Sight it in and enjoy it.

Comment

Clean. Hammer down.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
              I got a new Windham AR-10.

The directions say to run 100 rounds through it to break in the barrel, clean it, and then sight it in.

Does it really take 100 rounds to break in the barrel?
              How much are the rounds apt to stray during the break in period?
              That doesn't look like a barrel break in procedure to me. It looks like a semi auto functionality break in that many manufacturers recommend for pistols and AR rifles.

Here is a link to the barrel break in I use.

Comment

I asked the guy who rebarreled a gun for me about break-in. He said "Just go out and kill somethings"

Comment

Theoretically, if there are no burs or anything from manufacturing, every shot will be aiding in throat erosion, etc. So if the barrel is lapped it should be most accurate straight out of the box and only go downhill from there. Albeit, very slowly. I'm no metallurgist though, just hearsay.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    He was in the military and a police armorer. Plus, he's old . He says don't worry about it

https://youtu.be/jCIi-SklcP8
                    I love watching that guys videos.. gunblue.. he is great, gives basic information, lots of historical info and has a cool accent! I've watched almost everyone on his channel.. I do wish they were a little shorter..lol. shoot just his passion for the 257 Roberts makes me wanna go find a vintage one to add!

Comment

There so many thoughts and techniques about breaking in barrel it's mind-boggling. I just finished breaking in a barrel today using Larry Potterfield's (Midway USA) technique. It took 50 rounds and was about the most simplistic, so it may be worth a try.

Properly breaking in a rifle barrel is one more step in achieving the ultimate in rifle accuracy. Larry Potterfield, CEO and Founder of MidwayUSA, demonstra...

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                        I love watching that guys videos.. gunblue.. he is great, gives basic information, lots of historical info and has a cool accent! I've watched almost everyone on his channel.. I do wish they were a little shorter..lol. shoot just his passion for the 257 Roberts makes me wanna go find a vintage one to add!
                        I found him a month or two ago and have watched a ton of his videos. He's great

Comment

I have a windham ar15. Been shot about 30 times and I can put a quarter over my groups @100 yards. using a led sled.

Comment

Working...
                          X