Broad heads for elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broad heads for elk hunting

Would you reccomend fixed or mechanical broad heads for hunting elk? What about grains for tips..100 pr 120?

Fixed.. 125-150 grain

Comment

You can shoot either 100 or 125 or any other size head as long as it is well constructed. I have a couple friend that will only shoot 125+ grain cut on impact heads. I personally like 125 grain 3 blade muzzy's because they are well constructed and shoot great out of my bow.

Comment

Slick tricks or VPA's on any thing bigger then javis and turkey. JMO

Comment

I personally like fixed 125. You should use what shoots good with your setup that you have confidence in.

Comment

100 grain G5 montecs did the job for me!

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
              I personally like fixed 125. You should use what shoots good with your setup that you have confidence in.
              For me it's ST 125 gr. Mags.

Comment

If you put the shot where it needs to be and the BH is sharp and well built, any head you want will work. If you are very confident in your set up you use for whitetail, tht will work on elk.

A well tuned bow, a sharp well built broadhead and the correct shot placement are more important than what BH to use.

Personally, my choice would be a fixed head, but again that is just an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  If you put the shot where it needs to be and the BH is sharp and well built, any head you want will work. If you are very confident in your set up you use for whitetail, tht will work on elk.

A well tuned bow, a sharp well built broadhead and the correct shot placement are more important than what BH to use.

This. You must make sure elk are either broadside or quartering away or your chances of a recovery go way way down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post

X2
                    I use slick trick standards in 100 grain because of the confidence I have in them. Elk have huge bones so the shot placement and angle are crucial.

Comment

I killed my 5x5 with a 4 blade 100 grain Muzzy.

Comment

100grn Slick Tricks Mag's did great for me!

Comment

Really thought a mechanical would be a bad idea on anything larger than a bit whitetail but...after speaking to the folks at Grim Reaper I would now use a Razor Tip at 125 grains on an elk but I would limit the distance to 40 I think. I would not use this on a bear though as I think you just might p#ss it off just enough and the repercussions would be extreme. And, some states make it mandatory to use a fixed blade I believe. Cheers!
                          Fred

Comment

Hartcraft X-change trophy 2 fixed blade!!!

Comment

silver flame

Comment

Working...
                              X