Advice for those who video alot....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for those who video alot....

In the last 3 yrs,i burn maybe 50 MiniDV tapes thru my video camera.Last week,it started showing lines in playback mode on the display.The head needed cleaning.After a trip back into Best Buy ,i got a head cleaner for $26 and now my video quality is great!
    Remember,get a head cleaner for yalls video cameras and keep em clean for great video!

thanks for the advise

Comment

I run a head cleaner tape every time I install a new tape. But pay attention to the instructions on the tape. Only run it about 10 seconds. Too much use can damage the heads.

Trailboss

Comment

The guy at best Buy told me to clean it every 5-7 tapes....TB,before every tape?The head cleaner i got, does it for 10 seconds at a time and is only good for 40 cleanings.Should i clean it before every tape?

Comment

I've never cleaned mine. And to be honest with you, I doubt I would have even thought of it until I started having problems. Bowwiz, thanks for "heads up." (Pun intended.) I'll get one of those cleaners.

Comment

Bowwiz, thanks for the tip. Like everyone else, something I would not have thought of. I video a lot and will need to do that. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Bowwiz!!!

Comment

I had the same problem as Bowwiz, but the head cleaner fixed it. It is a good tool to have.

Comment

Bowwiz it's probably not necessary to clean after every tape, but since I'm filming for commercial production, I can't afford to film a hunt only to find out it is unusable due to a dirty head, so I clean it with every new tape. Probably not the best thing for the camera, but I can't take a chance.

Trailboss

Comment

I understand what your saying TB,Thanks again!

Comment

a quick word of warning----even cleaning tapes emit an 'emulsion' when run across the heads that can and will pit/damage/burn/chip/dent/melt/ the heads to eventually make them worse than just cleaning them by following the instructions. It's the same principle that if you scratch the same place so often then you will wear the paint or skin off of that spot! I wouldn't use the tape cleaner for every new tape change but for every 3rd, 4th, or 5th maybe.
                      Also if you have another camera or can afford a tape machine, use it for viewing and rewinding your tape and never do it in the camera which also runs by the principle of putting less miles on your car than necessary.
                      The least amount of wear and tear you can put on your video cameras heads the better! Pat

Comment

Should i clean it before every tape?
                        Not unless you've got the money to replace the heads before their time.

Comment

Great video advice yall!*Team Poor Folks can't afford another camera right now,so i'm babyin' my Sony TRV-33 as much as i can.
                          Snakelover,this scarecrow has at least 1 good brain cell left!
                          Last edited by Bowwiz; 11-01-2006, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Most of the advice I've seen from those in the business indicates to clean the heads only "when it needs it", and no more frequently, for the reasons mentioned above.

Good thread...but I'm moving it to the proper forum...

Michael
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I guess i should have paid more attention Michael,I'm still learning the new site!Great job by the way-I see ya smilin'

Comment

Working...
                              X