Serious bow shoulder and elbow pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious bow shoulder and elbow pain.

I tried the FSC challenge earlier and missed by several inches with my usual bow. Spent about a half hour out there trying to dial it back in and get warmed up. I tried pulling the bigger bow to try the same challenge and something in both joints "popped" when I came to full draw, I couldn't even release the arrow safely I had to let down and drop both bow and arrow into the dirt. I've got three "Ranger candies" (800 mg Motrin) on board but **** this hurts. Inflammation is visibly apparent, joints are hot to the touch, red, and stupid sensitive, swelling has started and it's hard to move my left arm. I have a TENS unit on both shoulder and elbow right now hoping to work it out. I've contacted our Dr. and he recommends TENs and ice alternating unless I want to come in for a check up. With our insurance I can't afford the check up. As a gov't employee I have terrible insurance.

Thoughts? Help? I know at least one of you has been through this and would really really appreciate some advice here.

Richard.

how many arrows you shooting what poundage? When i first started i had left elbow and right elbow , shoulder , wrist, fingers etc. pains not all at once pain just moved one point to another as my form became better and body adapted they went away now if feel no pain.If your shooting like 100 arrows or something your body is going to feel it, especially if your not used to it, muscles adapt. If your bow arm is too rigid not enough bend the shock is going to go right up your arm and joint pain, can be many factors or combination.

Comment

No one can advise you like the doctor can. You need xrays/mri's, but since you aren't going to go to the doctor:

Alternate the ice & tens as you are doing. Alternating heat & ice works well also.

"GENTLY" Do shoulder rotation exercises. If there's a lot of pain, and/or grinding & popping going on STOP, and you may have to sling it for a while.

If you aren't better in a weeks time, I don't care if you have to take out a loan to do it - Go To The Doctor, and get it taken care of.

Rick

Comment

Ice and ibuprofen are your friends.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Aleve

Comment

Dang man, hope it feels better tomorrow. I know this isn't what you wanna hear, but you may want to give that 60 lb bow a break. Maybe even sale it. I know some guys shoot heavy bows, but the majority of the trad guys I've met personally shoot bows around 50 lbs. Or even lighter.

Comment

I have a jacked up shoulder also and the Dr told me Aleve is one of the best pain meds for your shoulder as far as over the counter goes. I always have some on hand. Also icy hot cream is good stuff too. It's a long road to recovery once you mess it up. Take it easy on it and let it heal

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Doc to told me...any shooting...painful or not ice to keep swelling and inflammation down.
                - Wear a brace or ace bandage around the forearm to change the biomechanics of the tendons.
                - most recovery and injury repair happens when you sleep and its best when arm is straight and not bent...Doc suggested stuffing my arm into the case of a stiff pillow to aid in keeping the elbow and arm straight during the night
                - warm up and exercise to strengthen

I stayed off the recurve for a couple of weeks and it helped. Elbow tendonitis is something that apparently reoccurs very easily and often.

Really sucks when it keeps you awake at night.
                God bless!
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-01-2017, 10:07 PM. Reason: NoSpake

Comment

Something I forgot to stress...stretching. Regardless of shooting or not...before and after shooting...stretch. It helps the muscles and tendons be more flexible and rejuvenate faster. No stretching before warming up.

I stayed steady on a cocktail of 1 ibuprofen, 1 aceteminaphin, 1 asprin. Red pepper will increase pain tolerance.

Comment

Mine randomly still hurts from this past season. I had drawn about half way when I realized once I get to full draw I will hit the front of the blind (setting to close to the window) I backed it down slow popping all sorts of stuff. Still killed him though!

Comment

There are lots of conflicting opinions in the medical world about whether to use cold or hot. I found myself in the middle of the controversy when I was having almost unbearable muscle spasms in my back. I read and heard both sides of the theory. The one that I used was heat and it was recommended to me in a long email from a doctor friend up in Amarillo. The short argument is that in order to heal there needs to be a lot of blood flow. Heat helps that to happen and cold does not. I used muscle relaxants and capsacin and a heat pad. It worked on the back. If you heard a pop that may be a torn something or other or you just may have rearranged the ball and socket alignment of your shoulder. I have had the same thing happen to me in the past, including the cracking sound. The sensation was that the bow was pulling the ball out of the socket and I backed off at the first little pop. That made me realize that my muscle structure is strong enough cause damage to the attachment points and it scared me into not wanting to shoot heavy poundage bows.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
                        Mine randomly still hurts from this past season. I had drawn about half way when I realized once I get to full draw I will hit the front of the blind (setting to close to the window) I backed it down slow popping all sorts of stuff. Still killed him though!
                        That's the spirit!

Comment

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. Pain is just weakness leaving the body. Suck it up and get it done.

I type this as I spend 15 minutes laying on an ice pack on my lower back before I go off to work for the day. [emoji1]

Comment

Stalker.

Richard.

Comment

Working...
                            X