Homemade Catfish Bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Catfish Bait

Whats yalls favorite catfish bait? Im looking at doing some homemade, but didn't have an exact recipe.. Whats yalls favorites?

I slice my deer livers into thin strips and freeze them in HEB bocadillo ziplock bags. That way I can thaw them out and eat them myself grilled with onions and rice or take them fishing as bait for catfish that I will eat. It is a win/win.

Comment

Cheap hotdogs cut up in small chunks, mixed with can of garlic powder and two packs of strawberry cool-aide.

Heard about it last year, tried it, ended up with about 200lbs of channel cat fillets in two days of fishing 12 noodle setups.

Comment

bonemeal, brains, and limberger cheese. Put that in a bucket with some condensed milk and let it sit in the sun covered for a week or more. use carpet pad on a treble hook and dip it in the bait.

Comment

I was buying some catfish soap some years ago and I would love to find a recipe for that. It looked and felt like lard only slightly harder and was about the size of a large slab of baking chocolate. It was easy to mold around a treble hook and flat tore up catfish for me.

Comment

Blood bait. 5 gallon bucket of bull blood chilled and coagulated. Cut into 2"x2" squares. Place on screen from an old screen door above ground in the sun. Sprinkle with sugar and let sit till hard and dark on top side. Turn and repeat process on the other side. It'll bleed in the water for 24-36 hours if you get the right consistency. Best channel and blue cat bait I've found.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
              Cheap hotdogs cut up in small chunks, mixed with can of garlic powder and two packs of strawberry cool-aide.

Heard about it last year, tried it, ended up with about 200lbs of channel cat fillets in two days of fishing 12 noodle setups.

This for rod and reel. For jugging I use gizzards soaked in liquefied livers. Most disgusting stuff on the planet but doesn't get stolen by turtles like the hot dogs sometimes do.

Comment

No need for nasty stinky baits. Take panty hose and cut into 3"x3" squares. Make a pouch out of the panty hose and fill it with chicken liver, I use cheap small tie wraps to cinch it up.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                  Blood bait. 5 gallon bucket of bull blood chilled and coagulated. Cut into 2"x2" squares. Place on screen from an old screen door above ground in the sun. Sprinkle with sugar and let sit till hard and dark on top side. Turn and repeat process on the other side. It'll bleed in the water for 24-36 hours if you get the right consistency. Best channel and blue cat bait I've found.
                  First time I've heard about doin' that in many years! When I was a kid, my dad and his brothers (my uncles) used to save the blood from a spring kill when butchering a calf and do it exactly like that. screen, sugar and all! Used to catch some nice blues in the Angelina and Neches rivers!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    First time I've heard about doin' that in many years! When I was a kid, my dad and his brothers (my uncles) used to save the blood from a spring kill when butchering a calf and do it exactly like that. screen, sugar and all! Used to catch some nice blues in the Angelina and Neches rivers!
                    Yep learned it from my Daddy as well-and he died in the early '70's. Been using it for years. Really hard to beat at the bottom end of some rapids on the Guadelupe.

Comment

Cast net, shad cut into chunks...homemade well, lakemade...lol...no stink...I will outfish all on fresh cut shad..

Comment

Chicken liver. Pour a packet of strawberry jello mix in the tub the night before.

Comment

Chicken liver. Pour out the juice and pour out the livers. Put in a layer and cover with regular salt - do another layer and another etc.
                          Use tons of salt.

Cut into small pieces and tear them up.......

Comment

Here's a super super duper catfish secret...can't believe I am letting this buisness secret out. Everything posted will work.

Comment

catfish cheese, flour/cornmeal, whole can of salt, bacon grease, add more cornmeal/flour if you need it thicker, use water from chum (soured wheat/milo) for additional stank if you need it thinner. 1 thing for certain is it will be some stanky, salty, oily stuff.

easy to mix up in a 5 gallon bucket with a paint stirrer & drill.

Comment

Working...
                              X