Hourly VS Salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
    I was asked once what my thoughts were on going to a salary pay for same job I was doing hourly

I said I was not interested in working more hours for less pay as any overtime would be lost. I was told that they would factor overtime worked the past year into the salary number.
    Told them that would not help me because I had worked 0 overtime in past year. Told them I did not want overtime

Comment

Without more information I would also consider some of the more intangible aspects. Is the role any different(more or less appealing to your satisfaction), does salary come with any perks like increased vacation, bonus, 401k, stock options, etc, does taking the role offer more opportunity for advancement within the company?

There are lots of things to consider when trying to decide this. I can’t speak for all situations, but I am in a similar hourly role that makes significant overtime. If I was offered a salary position that meant I lost OT, I would gladly take it if it was not a significant paycut.

Comment

It really depends on the salary. My base/hourly rate is pretty good and I work a lot of OT, not really by choice though. I try to stick to 40. I like getting paid for the hours I work. If I could get a bump in salary, and only work 40, I'd be all over it. If I had to continue to work overtime I would pass. Just my opinion though. With my company if I want to move up I'll have to accept a salary role, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Comment

Generally speaking, moving from hourly to salary can be challenging in terms of $$ only. But, it often comes with added responsibility, upward potential, higher bonuses and greater flexibility in terms of hours.

Lots of things to consider and only looking at the $$ can be short sighted.

Comment

Depends on the salary and what the long term prospect is for moving to the salaried role is. If it is a step up professionally with growth potential then to me $10-15k for 1-3 years isn’t that bad depending on what the return looks like.

Also think about he extra time with your family and what that is worth to you

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
              Without more information I would also consider some of the more intangible aspects. Is the role any different(more or less appealing to your satisfaction), does salary come with any perks like increased vacation, bonus, 401k, stock options, etc, does taking the role offer more opportunity for advancement within the company?

There are lots of things to consider when trying to decide this. I can’t speak for all situations, but I am in a similar hourly role that makes significant overtime. If I was offered a salary position that meant I lost OT, I would gladly take it if it was not a significant paycut.
              There are no added perks to the job as far as benefits or vacation. The job would offer more opportunity to advance in the future. I find the job very interesting and something I think I would enjoy doing but I also enjoy the job I have now. So even if I don't get the job, I'm perfectly fine continuing the job I have now. I am fine with a pay cut to an extent, I understand I wouldn't be working the same hours I do now but not willing to lose a whole heck of a lot

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                It really depends on the salary. My base/hourly rate is pretty good and I work a lot of OT, not really by choice though. I try to stick to 40. I like getting paid for the hours I work. If I could get a bump in salary, and only work 40, I'd be all over it. If I had to continue to work overtime I would pass. Just my opinion though. With my company if I want to move up I'll have to accept a salary role, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
                I understand, I am at the point where If I want to move up it will pretty much have to be salary. I've already promoted through the other positions and running out of options as far as advancement. I can still grow with pay and such but as far as continuing to advance my career, I'm limited

Comment

Sorry if I missed this in a post above I didn't read but for me it would greatly depend on the industry you are in. I would say that salary positions would have a higher ceiling than hourly positions however it might take time for the salary position to get ahead.

I work in construction and when I was a laborer I was always making more per week with my OT than some of the assistant superintendents and assistant project managers which are salary positions. I took a pay cut to become a PM but I got better benefits and within a couple years I was ahead and now I am making almost triple even if I would have figured in raises and 20 hrs or OT as a laborer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                    Sorry if I missed this in a post above I didn't read but for me it would greatly depend on the industry you are in. I would say that salary positions would have a higher ceiling than hourly positions however it might take time for the salary position to get ahead.

I work in construction and when I was a laborer I was always making more per week with my OT than some of the assistant superintendents and assistant project managers which are salary positions. I took a pay cut to become a PM but I got better benefits and within a couple years I was ahead and now I am making almost triple even if I would have figured in raises and 20 hrs or OT as a laborer.
                    I'm in the pipeline industry and yes, the ceiling for salary is significantly higher for the long run as far as base pay.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                      Depends on the salary and what the long term prospect is for moving to the salaried role is. If it is a step up professionally with growth potential then to me $10-15k for 1-3 years isn’t that bad depending on what the return looks like.

Also think about he extra time with your family and what that is worth to you
                      very true, projects have been slow lately and I have been fishing with my kids and family a lot here in the last few weeks. Man, has it been nice! I could get used to a 40hr work week

Comment

OM

My office manager manner during myself set down and talked about this this year. She worked a lot of overtime last year. Her sour was great. We switched her to a salary based position this year. It seems to have worked well. She does still work quite a bit but I believe it is more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                          My office manager manner during myself set down and talked about this this year. She worked a lot of overtime last year. Her sour was great. We switched her to a salary based position this year. It seems to have worked well. She does still work quite a bit but I believe it is more efficient.
                          W t f did you just say?

Comment

When my company asked me to come in to the office they initaionally tried to pay me what I was making in the field, but I lost my company truck.
                            After discussing how I was getting screwed they matched what I was making with overtime and gave me a truck allowance and yearly bonus.
                            I now make more than double what I made in the field.
                            I would recommend discussing your terms now instead of waiting.

Comment

I took a pay hit to come to my current position, but it was absolutely worth it. I was working 70-90 hour weeks hourly before this, and currently 35-45 hour weeks at only a 10-15% pay cut. I see the house every night except when I’m traveling, which is at my own discretion. I have more responsibility now, but it takes less time to accomplish. I wouldn’t trade it at all. I’m about 3 years in now, and my current salary is about where I was hourly though. It sure is nice having that constant check though.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                                W t f did you just say?
                                I was curious as well lol I think he was using tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X