Bringing in Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing in Spring

There was a time when I hunted turkeys most everyday of the season either with clients, family or buddies. Since my hunting buddy from Mississippi passed away about 10 years ago, don't hunt them as much.
    I still hunt occasionally with Miss Deb but the only hunt that I go on "for sure" is with one of my best buddies who is also in the hunting business. We don't take any cameras and rarely photograph a bird as we don't to slow down to do so.
    My buddy is coming down this weekend and I will hunt with him for a day or two. It seems that spring is not officially here until I sit down in the turkey woods and hear an old gobbler responding to my lovesick yelps. While I hope my buddy kills a couple of birds, I am there not only to hear and see the show but visit and enjoy time with a friend that I have seen grow up in this great industry.
    We will be hosted by some dear friends who are ALWAYS entertaining.
    Adios,
    Gary

Good hunting, Gary. We went out to Waddle's on opening weekend. The weather was ok, but very windy. I killed a bird Saturday morning and 2 other birds were killed Sunday. It didn't really seem to us as though the birds were really "going" good at that time. It was pretty cool and I'm not sure if the cooler weather has been a factor in what seem to be a late start.
    I think the forecast for Menard has another front coming in this weekend. Good luck and keep your powder dry.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Good Luck Buddy!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Guys and good luck to you. I think that we need a good rain to "green up" the country side so that the hens can get enough keratin so that they will begin to cycle. I really think that this may have more to the birds being late than the cool weather.
            As a courtesy, I asked the rancher buddy if he wanted me to bring anything and he said, "why don't you cook a brisket and a pot of those pinto beans?" Looks like I will be busy on Saturday....
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

Working...
            X