Keechi Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keechi Creek WMA

Got drawn for the archery hunt, never been there any info that might help would be appreciated. Are you able to use tree climbing stands?

Yes, climbers work if you find the right tree.

Which hunt did you get drawn for? We will be there for the last hunt.

Comment

I hunted out there last year and it is a really cool place. I was able to get around with my truck just fine. There is hardly any cell service and it is easy to get turned around out there. Either have a gps or marking tape. I didn't shoot anything but I saw the most deer on the roads driving to and from my stand. Get out there on the first day and do as much exploring as you can. Stay on the look-out after dark whenever you're driving back to camp. I saw a couple real nicer shooters on the road right at dark on the last day. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Comment

Originally posted by RobinBradbery View Post
        Yes, climbers work if you find the right tree.

Which hunt did you get drawn for? We will be there for the last hunt.
        l will be there the 2nd week, anyone else out there got drawn for the 2nd week?

Comment

Originally posted by jakefromtx View Post
          I hunted out there last year and it is a really cool place. I was able to get around with my truck just fine. There is hardly any cell service and it is easy to get turned around out there. Either have a gps or marking tape. I didn't shoot anything but I saw the most deer on the roads driving to and from my stand. Get out there on the first day and do as much exploring as you can. Stay on the look-out after dark whenever you're driving back to camp. I saw a couple real nicer shooters on the road right at dark on the last day. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
          Jake thanks for the info, how did you hunt from climbing stand or on the ground? I have a ground blind, but I think deer always notice them. Also have a tripod that I could use. Gave my 4 wheeler to my brother in law because I never used it, but will be able to borrow it if needed. How is the camping area, is it safe to leave your stuff out without having to pack it all up in your truck everyday? I hunt the Sam Houston National Forest which is mostly pines and some hardwood bottoms. I am thinking this area is mostly hardwoods also or is it more swampy? The rut should be starting, so I will be looking for scrapes and rubs or try to find creek crossing areas. I am sure there will be more questions that I will ask you before the hunting date.

Comment

Been there twice on a youth hunt. 4whlr comes in handy. The camp site is ok. You won't have to worry about your stuff unless some of the other hunters looks "shady" to you. All I can tell you, just past the ck station, turn back to right, then a little ways to the right is a bridge going across a creek. Just cross the creek a 100 or so yards, is a pretty good deer crossing.
            Being it was a youth hunt, didn't get to spend a lot of time to scout it out. There is another good spot I found, but me tryin to tell you, yall never will find it. My boy shot a doe at that spot. We also encountered 2 bucks that would put some at the Chap to shame. Couldn't do any thing with those being this was a doe/spike only hunt. That was Bummer!!

Comment

Originally posted by TreeStandMan View Post
              Jake thanks for the info, how did you hunt from climbing stand or on the ground? I have a ground blind, but I think deer always notice them. Also have a tripod that I could use. Gave my 4 wheeler to my brother in law because I never used it, but will be able to borrow it if needed. How is the camping area, is it safe to leave your stuff out without having to pack it all up in your truck everyday? I hunt the Sam Houston National Forest which is mostly pines and some hardwood bottoms. I am thinking this area is mostly hardwoods also or is it more swampy? The rut should be starting, so I will be looking for scrapes and rubs or try to find creek crossing areas. I am sure there will be more questions that I will ask you before the hunting date.
              I'd recommend using a treestand rather than a ground blind. I hunted out of my ground blind one morning and the deer clearly noticed it and stayed away. I took it out and hung my stand in the same area and the deer started coming back. The camping area is decent. I slept in a tent the whole hunt with no problems. Also I felt comfortable leaving my stuff out while hunting because it was a great group of guys and it is a bit of a trip to get from the main road to the gate so I never worried about other people coming in to the camp that weren't supposed to be out there. It is a mixture of swamp and hardwood but I mostly hunted the hardwood. A 4 wheeler would be nice to have out there but it is not necessary. I did however get some nice new Texas pin stripes on my truck from squeezing through some areas that were overgrown.

Comment

Howdy guys, I'll be there 10/4-10/14. Happy to meet up with anyone else there also.

Comment

Make sure to check on flooding....was there on an awesome duck hunt but would have been tough on a deer hunt, lot of flooded timber when it floods.

Comment

Tagged for the hunting reports.

I put in but was not selected. Wondering how many "free $48" entries this year?

Comment

Take a climber. Good place to hunt.

Comment

Same

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone have any luck at Keechi this year? I was selected for the November 15-24 hunt. Does anyone have a map of the place? I won’t have an ATV but do have a truck with 4x4, so I may have to walk for a while.

Comment

Got drawn for a squirrel hunt out there this year, never been there before, what’s the terrain like?

Comment

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post
                              Got drawn for a squirrel hunt out there this year, never been there before, what’s the terrain like?
                              I did that hunt last year and had a blast! I didnt see all of it but what I did see was all hardwood bottomland. It's just beautiful squirrel woods with tons of cat squirrels! You should have a blast. I didnt get picked this time but may try and do a standby hunt. PM if you have any questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X