Look who came to dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look who came to dinner

12 years of being married to an awesome lady came Sunday. We decided to head to Port O'Connor as we needed to do a little work on our rental condo. We also decided to take the boat out to the Peninsula so we could walk out and pic the final spot on the building a house. On the way back we were running late so I was pushing the Explorer as hard as I could with the slight wave action we had. My bride tapped me on the shoulder and said "Birds" while pointing off into the distance. We ran up on them and she hooked up immediately. So I threw a a spoon and hooked up too. Hers came in fairly easy, mine was ripping that 10 lbs test off like crazy. Turns out she was on a Spanish mac. Mine breached, a 3 foot black tip. 20 minutes later I was amazed he hadn't bitten off or sanded off the light line. My bad to the bone bride got down on her belly and was reaching down in the water with a trout net trying to get that shark in. She got it. I cut the fillets into manageable pieces and blackened them in a black iron skillet. I love black tip blackened like that. We will be targeting this species once we get the house built. A couple of those at a time can fill a freezer.

Congrats

Comment

Black tip is some darn good table fare

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
        Black tip is some darn good table fare
        I got a feeling the black tip numbers are going to go way down when we spend weeks on end out there. I can't wait to mesquite grill some and make fish taco with some pico or a mango chipotle sause. A beach house, case of Shiner Bock, fish tacos, a good woman, what else would you need?

Comment

Educate me on eating shark. Are we filleting it and cutting off the skin, or cutting it into hunks and eating skin and all. I've never had any.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
              Educate me on eating shark. Are we filleting it and cutting off the skin, or cutting it into hunks and eating skin and all. I've never had any.
              These I filleted with the skin off. I washed and dried the pieces to be cooked. I smattered olive oil on the meat and spiced it with Pike's Fish Market seasoning from Seattle. I turned the black iron skillet on high and waited until it started changing color. I added some more olive oil to the pan and put the fillets in. I left them until I could see the pink changed to white through the whole piece. Then I flipped them and turn it off while I prepared the green beans, onion and squash in a wok.

Now on the grill I would leave the skin on, olive oil the meat and spice it. I would let the mesquite fire come up through the grill and lay the meat side down in the flames to get a good crisp finish on on the meat. When you get it crisp, flip it to the skin side and let it finish out. I do my reds the same way. Yo talk about fish tacos!!! I cook my corn tortillas in oil before I eat them. Changes the whole entire taste of a corn tortilla.

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                I got a feeling the black tip numbers are going to go way down when we spend weeks on end out there. I can't wait to mesquite grill some and make fish taco with some pico or a mango chipotle sause. A beach house, case of Shiner Bock, fish tacos, a good woman, what else would you need?
                So what time is dinner?

Comment

Yum...looks fresh

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                    So what time is dinner?

I just finished the left overs for lunch

Comment

Cool..

Comment

My inlaws and kids just got back from Crystal Beach and while down there they caught some black tip. Got in from work Sunday eve and wife had them on the grill along wh ribeyes and some fresh squash. They were awesome!

Comment

You're right, your wife is awesome. Mine would throw a fit if I left a shark on the granite countertops.

Blacktips are some great eating.

Comment

Dang watch the rattlesnakes on the Peninsula...saw two the last time I was over there.

Comment

Originally posted by GOODEN View Post
                              My inlaws and kids just got back from Crystal Beach and while down there they caught some black tip. Got in from work Sunday eve and wife had them on the grill along wh ribeyes and some fresh squash. They were awesome!
                              You Sir have a bad arse wife!

Comment

Working...
                              X