Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone on here sell insurance or own an insurance agency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m contemplating a career change. I have done some basic research on the this but am looking for more info.
    Tossing around the idea of becoming an insurance agent(auto, home, life, marine, Atv, etc.), with my end goal being to own my own agency.
    I’m 27, no wife, no kids, and currently sell metal buildings and roofing in the conroe area. I would want to move closer to the coast, more specifically the Alvin, Manvel, and Angleton areas.

Any information, pointers and more in-depth knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated. Specifically the ups and downs of the industry and the do’s and dont’s on becoming an agent.

-Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
    I’m contemplating a career change. I have done some basic research on the this but am looking for more info.
    Tossing around the idea of becoming an insurance agent(auto, home, life, marine, Atv, etc.), with my end goal being to own my own agency.
    I’m 27, no wife, no kids, and currently sell metal buildings and roofing in the conroe area. I would want to move closer to the coast, more specifically the Alvin, Manvel, and Angleton areas.

Any information, pointers and more in-depth knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated. Specifically the ups and downs of the industry and the do’s and dont’s on becoming an agent.

-Stephen

Yes for 39 years - PM me and I will help any way I can -

Comment

-Stephen

Stephen, pretty sure you have my pens on your desk!!

Holler at me one day and we can grab lunch and visit!
      -Cody Sweat

Comment

Originally posted by cksweat678 View Post
        Stephen, pretty sure you have my pens on your desk!!

Holler at me one day and we can grab lunch and visit!
        -Cody Sweat

I moved to a different branch, I’m now in conroe. Wanting to move back down that way.
        I’ll shoot you a pm.

Comment

My wife and I each have our own agencies, we at captive agents for the largest home and auto insurer in the country.

Feel free to reach out. I started agency at 26.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
            My wife and I each have our own agencies, we at captive agents for the largest home and auto insurer in the country.

Feel free to reach out. I started agency at 26.

Thank you! Pm sent

Comment

Hey Stephen I’m looking at the same career choice.

I’d say do it now before you have a litter of kids and wife. That’s my one hold up is figuring out how to live on a possibly limited income.

Lots of ways to approach as an independent agent or captive

Comment

I am an independent. I wouldn’t want to be a captive agent. I like the ability to pick and choose which companies I represent. That being said, I’m 100% commission. So no sale no paycheck until you get your renewals built up. I’ve been doing this for 19 years. Strictly life and health.

Wish I would’ve started at your age. I’m 58 now.

Good luck brother.

Last edited by Rotney; 05-08-2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I'm an independent agent, and agency manager, and have been in the biz for a while, I too started when I was 26-27.. I have some thoughts on the independent vs captive. Also some thoughts as to marketing, developing niches, and how to get started in the business. I'm sending you a PM...

Comment

I’m interested in the replies as well. Always been curious about the industry and I graduate in 8 months

Comment

Better have thick skin because every bad day is the insurance agents fault.
                      And remember, your a scam artiest, crooked and generally just ripping people off

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        Better have thick skin because every bad day is the insurance agents fault.
                        And remember, your a scam artiest, crooked and generally just ripping people off
                        All day errr day.

Still better than having a boss tell me what to do.

I also have 5 employees, they handle most of that. I just get the worst of the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          Hey Stephen I’m looking at the same career choice.

I’d say do it now before you have a litter of kids and wife. That’s my one hold up is figuring out how to live on a possibly limited income.

Lots of ways to approach as an independent agent or captive

Exactly! I figure now is the time for me to make the change!

Thinking I want to start out as captive and then make the jump to independent? But that is where I hope to gain information to help make that decision

Comment

Let me guess. You're being recruited by Farm Bureau?

Trailboss

Comment

Exactly! I figure now is the time for me to make the change!

Thinking I want to start out as captive and then make the jump to independent? But that is where I hope to gain information to help make that decision

I did that exact thing. I would not recommend that.

Comment

Working...
                              X