Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
Black-N-Red
Six Point

Default Carni-four

How do these fly? I read several threads & never seen anything about flight. Was the any tuning involve? My bow is stacking wac'em fixed blades right with my field points. Hopefully gonna get to try them out weekend after next. I really didn't want want to use a new head for practice, y'all think a 3 blade practice head would fly like these carni-fours?
Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

No, they are mechanical. They fly like field points.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

They fly just like field points
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #4
Burnadell
Pope & Young

I lost a doe and a big 10 with carni-fours last year. The got mayber 3 inches of penetration! The doe ran for about 30-40 yards, then just walked across the field with most of the arrow sticking out!

I am convinced they did not open correctly. I called the company, and they admitted that they had some with springs that were too stiff!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
Jared.King
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eden, TX and Yoakum County

discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621360

My experience with them.
Very bloody
Jared.King is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Agree with ^^
I typically NEVER loose an arrow unless it's 30 yards or less. I just feel like their is to much that can happen, except last season I was hunting with my dad when a doe stepped out in a lane and ranged her at 38 yards. I put a carnifour in the boiler. I believe the blood trail could have been seen from an airplane, and she was out in 15 yards.
My biggest buck to date was the same way only a lot closer shot.
-They fly right with my field points, even in VERY windy conditions which is why I went to a mechanical head to begin with. I LOVE the old thunder head, but in a stiff cross wind I had noticed some movement in flight.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
bmc09
Six Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

been shooting reapers for a long time. mostly the 1 3/4". have had nothing but pass throughs and big blood trails on deer. the big pigs that I didn't get a pass through on didn't go very far. Even though I firmly believe in "if it aint broke, don't fix it", I am very interested in trying these.
bmc09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I lost a doe and a big 10 with carni-fours last year. The got mayber 3 inches of penetration! The doe ran for about 30-40 yards, then just walked across the field with most of the arrow sticking out!

I am convinced they did not open correctly. I called the company, and they admitted that they had some with springs that were too stiff!
sounds like you have other things happening , "stiff springs" would likely increase penetration because they did not open, not reduce it,,, bad hit location, could be a light weight arrow, not getting on you but I do doubt the lack of penetration was caused by stiff springs
my son was one of the very first people in the state to actually use them ( I was a dealer) he killed 4 animals with the same head and it opened perfectly each time, and I even told him I thought the head might not open right because it was stiff...
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #9
mighty
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
They fly just like field points
This
mighty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
sounds like you have other things happening , "stiff springs" would likely increase penetration because they did not open, not reduce it,,, bad hit location, could be a light weight arrow, not getting on you but I do doubt the lack of penetration was caused by stiff springs
my son was one of the very first people in the state to actually use them ( I was a dealer) he killed 4 animals with the same head and it opened perfectly each time, and I even told him I thought the head might not open right because it was stiff...
Believe me, I 2nd guessed myself severely aabout shot location, but these were 17 yard shots!

The unopened broadhead would have 4 blunt portions of the blade stopping the penetration through bone.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #11
redman_78
Spike

Want to try these on a pig
redman_78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #12
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

Quote:
Believe me, I 2nd guessed myself severely aabout shot location, but these were 17 yard shots!

The unopened broadhead would have 4 blunt portions of the blade stopping the penetration through bone.
The Fatal Steels had a problem with the blades being to stiff to open. I smoothed the bottom part of the blade and it fixed the problem. You might want to look at that.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #13
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:

so you do think you hit bone? not many heads including fixed will do well on bone bigger than a rib
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #14
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Quote:

Yes they came with a gold spring and were very hard to open, a lot failed to open. They have replaced the gold spring with a silver ( I believe its silver) colored spring now. They are not the most durable head either.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  72.2 KB

Last edited by critter69; 04-21-2017 at 08:57 AM..
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Good head we shoot them out of our xbow.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #16
bartosh317
Six Point

Hunt In: Smithville, Mexia

I was not all that impressed with the entry and exit holes but my buck only made it about 30 yards before he was down. I'll keep shooting them!!
Attached Images

bartosh317 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #17
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
Yes they came with a gold spring and were very hard to open, a lot failed to open. They have replaced the gold spring with a silver ( I believe its silver) colored spring now. They are not the most durable head either.Attachment 851227
That's not a carnifour. It's a blade short.

Burnadell, what poundage are you shooting? If I remember correctly they say the minimum should be 60. That could play a factor.
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #18
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
so you do think you hit bone? not many heads including fixed will do well on bone bigger than a rib
Yeah. Had to have hit bone to stop like it did.

Quote:

Burnadell, what poundage are you shooting? If I remember correctly they say the minimum should be 60. That could play a factor.
64 lbs
Old 04-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #19
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Looks like others have encountered the same problem!

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4383713

Disclaimer: I do NOT do A. T. I just found this on Google...PROMISE!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #20
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Revived this thread in hopes someone out there can help me.. I'm looking for replacement blades for my heads. Grim Reaper site says "currently unavailable." Anyone looking to get rid of some fresh heads or know how to get new blades?
Old 05-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #21
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Quote:

That is a carni four, the other blade broke off, hence my " not the most durable"
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #22
Dry Bones
Ten Point

One more time if anyone has some.
I tried contacting Grim Reaper via email, been a week, and nothing. Probably call tomorrow and then the search is on for another all purpose head. Look for Which head bleeds for you thread. Coming soon.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #23
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
One more time if anyone has some.
I tried contacting Grim Reaper via email, been a week, and nothing. Probably call tomorrow and then the search is on for another all purpose head. Look for Which head bleeds for you thread. Coming soon.
If you call them I'm sure they will help you out

But what are you looking for in a head??
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #24
Dry Bones
Ten Point

They sent an email back. " there are a few things we need to work out but they should be released before fall hunting season this year." in response to my question to the replacement blades with the carnifour. I had good experiences with the head and Exceptional blood trails even on an older buck that I had a very marginal shot on (shot was higher then I really liked).
KD350- to answer the question. I really liked my Thunderheads, but man they are super finiky about perfect set up bows. I know my bow is well tuned when they fly right with my field points out to 60 yards. The idea of going mechanical was (and sorry to say this) alleviate some of the stress with such perfect tune. I knew there was a slight issue with alignment but could not get it perfect matched and of course it exaggerated the further out I went.
The Carnifour undoubtedly shot right withe the field point, as I am sure any mechanical would have, but the performance was the best part.
I have used a few different heads, some are good, just did not have the same effect. I liked the Spitfire but after a few shots they seem to rotate back further and crush into the ferule then making a smaller cut path by the blades sweeping back further.
--I need a head that has good penetration ability and durable enough to get the job done. As a side note I finally have the thunderhead flying true, but with all the mechanical BS of today's compounds I feel like that may just be short lived.