Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas
Default Cruise to cozumel

In May, wife and I are taking 4 day break and going on a cruise to Cozumel. We do not want to do any excursions that they charge for this time. Looking to relax and chill out. Any ideas on shopping areas or things to do that's not related to the tourist trap? Something relaxing, no sports oriented/fishing stuff.
Any nice local markets?
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
stickman
Pope & Young

When we went to Cozumel we just walked around town, ended up at a Seņor Frogs and got hammered. Not saying it's not safe to wander around, but I'd stay around other folks from the ship if you don't speak Spanish.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
akstigo01
Six Point

We go to a place called Mr. Sanchos Beach. They sell tickets on the boat but we usually wait to purchase there. It's all inclusive food and drinks plus relaxation on the beach. Been our favorite spot so far.
akstigo01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Hire a taxi driver for the day. Tell him that's what you want, they will take you to some awesome places. That's what we usually do, or rent motorcycles.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Texas007
Eight Point

Hunt In: Midway,

We stay in a timeshare there and walk all over downtown. Most ports have a central shopping area close so you can walk through all of those. Plus I believe you can do day pass at most resorts to enjoy the beach or what not. We will be there at the end of May for my sons high school grad trip
Texas007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx

Rent a car or scooter depending on your sense of adventure. Drive to the back side of the island and eat at coconuts. Awesome place on a cliff overlooking the beach with good food and a relaxed atmosphere. There are beach areas down the road a bit also. Can't really get lost as the main road just makes a big loop. The best beaches are on the back side of the island (real beaches, not the coral studded fake stuff between Cozumel and the mainland). Haven't been in several years so it may or may not have grown touristy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
ken
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dew

If you want to shop and find decent priced local food go as far away from the waterfront side of town as you can get.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstigo01 View Post
We go to a place called Mr. Sanchos Beach. They sell tickets on the boat but we usually wait to purchase there. It's all inclusive food and drinks plus relaxation on the beach. Been our favorite spot so far.
This! Private beach and nice. All food and drinks included and I think it was like $60 a person. Book through Mr. Sancho's online its much cheaper. But book ahead of time to make sure you get in. When we went it was booked up so you wouldn't have been able to buy it there.

Beach chairs and huts
Name:  15355595_10211127555135507_8966469808364829834_n.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  71.2 KB

Blue water and all the Sol you can drink
Name:  15327428_10211127555055505_506655070731646297_n.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  59.0 KB

Pool with swim up bar if you want
Name:  15267682_10211127612256935_2436472995952489001_n.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  75.7 KB

Shrimp cocktail and Tiki huts
Name:  15356613_10211127557655570_1333578392485493473_n.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  76.5 KB

If you do go ask for this guy, Hector. Top notch service and our plates stayed fulled and our drinks.
Name:  15337528_10211127560375638_5234201778440200043_n.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  68.9 KB
Jaybo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
gig one
Ten Point

Hunt In: huntsville tx and moline, kansas

****o did you move down there
gig one is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushtrooper View Post
In May, wife and I are taking 4 day break and going on a cruise to Cozumel. We do not want to do any excursions that they charge for this time. Looking to relax and chill out. Any ideas on shopping areas or things to do that's not related to the tourist trap? Something relaxing, no sports oriented/fishing stuff.
Any nice local markets?
Rent a car or taxi and go to Punta Sur...beautiful beach and great snorkeling and rarely if ever crowded. I got to Cozumel a few times a year to dive and the shopping is pretty much all tourist crap...
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #11
Bweger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County, Manitoba Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo31 View Post
This! Private beach and nice. All food and drinks included and I think it was like $60 a person. Book through Mr. Sancho's online its much cheaper. But book ahead of time to make sure you get in. When we went it was booked up so you wouldn't have been able to buy it there.

Beach chairs and huts
Attachment 850730

Blue water and all the Sol you can drink
Attachment 850731

Pool with swim up bar if you want
Attachment 850732

Shrimp cocktail and Tiki huts
Attachment 850733

If you do go ask for this guy, Hector. Top notch service and our plates stayed fulled and our drinks.
Attachment 850734
Yup and Hector was our waiter the last 2 times we been there
Bweger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #12
Thumper
Pope & Young

Beach dive just down current from their "national park" beach when the cruise ships are in port. A lot of money floats out of pockets.
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 AM   #13
Old Ranger
Four Point

Hunt In: Spur

Lol, we love Hector, I would exit restroom and he would be waiting outside with a fresh beer!
Old Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #14
Txbownut
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas, East Texas, Colorado

Some friends of mine always rent a jeep and take a lap around the island stopping at different beaches.
Txbownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #15
deerplanter
Ten Point

Depending what you want to do but we always hit Coconuts at least once a trip, Punta Sur is a very nice beach, there is a small reef in front of The Money Bar that is good to snorkel for free. We always stay there at resorts so I have never went to Sancho's but it's looks okay, plenty of shopping right there at the dock and some good eats around there also.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #16
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

My wife and I loved Mr Sanchos. If relaxing is what you're after, this is the place. I can't remember our waiters name, but he would actually wade out in the water some to bring us drinks. Everyone is super friendly. We booked outside of the cruise and it was $40 something dollars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #17
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstigo01 View Post
How do you get to the Mr. Sancho Beach? Taxi, shuttle? I think that's what the wife wants to do
Old 04-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #18
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Quote:
How do you get to the Mr. Sancho Beach? Taxi, shuttle? I think that's what the wife wants to do
Taxi. When you get off the boat you go through an area that has some shops and stuff to a taxi/bus terminal area. There will be signs saying which taxis are going where and you get in that line. Hop in tell them where you are going....and hang on
Jaybo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #19
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Hire a taxi driver for the day. Tell him that's what you want, they will take you to some awesome places. That's what we usually do, or rent motorcycles.
I think shopping is what we want to do. So rent a taxi for the day to shuttle us around is the way to go? Whats an average cost for the taxi for the day? We do not speak spanish, is that an issue?
Old 05-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #20
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

Mr Sanchos. Book it online.
Taxi is like $16

Great Food , Tip The waiter when you get there and the drinks will be strong ALL day.
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #21
BrandonH
Pope & Young

We've been several times and the last 3 we've hired a driver for the day. Here's a screen shot of our driver's Facebook. Just book well in advance and give him an idea of what you want to do. He takes us to the less touristy areas to shop and then to the other side of the island to sight see. He'll do whatever you'd like and the price is very reasonable.
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
We've been several times and the last 3 we've hired a driver for the day. Here's a screen shot of our driver's Facebook. Just book well in advance and give him an idea of what you want to do. He takes us to the less touristy areas to shop and then to the other side of the island to sight see. He'll do whatever you'd like and the price is very reasonable.

Thanks for the heads up. I made contact and have him reserved for our arrival. Any other advice, feel free to throw it out there.
Thx again
Old 05-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #23
wal1809
Eight Point

When you get off the ship, all those shops you have to walk through are all in cahoots with the cruise ships. Rent a jeep, go to a local grocery store, get what you need for the day and go to the other side of the island. There are miles of bad arse beach over there. It sounds like you don't want the tourist BS. I am the same way and thats where I go.
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #24
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I made contact and have him reserved for our arrival. Any other advice, feel free to throw it out there.
Thx again
Great to hear. Just tell him what you're interested in doing and he will take care of you. If there are certain things you want to shop for he will take you to places off the beaten path for the best deals.
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top