Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #51
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Mike, PM me some info on your VMC and abilities, I may be able to sub some work to you. If you end up quitting where you are shoot me a resume.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #52
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy wonder View Post
Does your employer ever get on TBH?
Not that I know of, but I am well aware that the world can see this.
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #53
J Wales
Six Point

Hunt In: Taylor County

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Other shops charge a premium to get parts immediately, and when it is busy many shops wont even call.you back.
If you do go out on your own, or even if you don't but you keep doing jobs on the side, keep this quote at the forefront of your mind. I don't think it is hard to compete in business as long as you keep your focus on the wants and needs of the customer. It sounds like you could do well for yourself to deliver quick turn around times (without sacrificing quality), and always return phone calls quickly.
J Wales is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #54
mjbtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Nebraska, Missouri

can you machine something that isnt in oil or can sell to more people? You have the skill set and the tools just need to make a sale.

Read "outliers" chapter on making aprons: http://www.obooksbooks.com/2015/3797_19.html

what I love about it, if you look and respond to actual purchases, you can find something people will want to buy. (or companies)

granted, i'm still looking
mjbtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #55
Mesquite Archer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney / Abilene, KS

I don't think anyone knows the situation you are in better than you. The decision to start up your own business is a huge undertaking and no matter how much you know going in there is always more to it. The best advice I can offer is whether you decide to stay, look for another company, or start your own do one or the other, not both and go all in. If you continue doing both you will always be conflicted with should I, or shouldn't I. Make a decision and commit 100%. Best of luck to you.
Mesquite Archer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #56
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I havent read al this yet and maybe this has been discussed but have you talked to the folks that bought the flagship product? You have been making it for years. Maybe work for them or make the product at home depending on what it is?
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #57
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
I havent read al this yet and maybe this has been discussed but have you talked to the folks that bought the flagship product? You have been making it for years. Maybe work for them or make the product at home depending on what it is?
Been thinking about that. Quite possible, I will have to find the right person to get ahold of.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #58
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Mike, PM me some info on your VMC and abilities, I may be able to sub some work to you. If you end up quitting where you are shoot me a resume.
Will do! I appreciate it!
Old 02-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #59
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBGP View Post
I would look at it with the perspective of what can I do. How can I help and what can we as a team do to get through this hard time.
This.
They are going through tough times and your best shot at continuing to provide for your family is going to be to suck it up and help out wherever you can, without adding to the stress by complaining about it.
If they are good people, they will recognize this and do all they can for you.
If they aren't you should be looking for other work while still trying to hold on to what you've got for as long as you can... and probably should have been doing that a while back.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #60
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Long term I would much prefer working for myself. I will admit I am not a risk taker. I am very conservative so it does make going out on my own pretty nerve wracking, but at the same time I feel like I have accomplished something at the end of the day. Working for someone is not fulfilling at all for me.
Nobody has a crystal ball to answer your question accurately. I do know for certain that if you "wait" for the "right time" to go out on your own that time will never come. Line up some work and take a leap of faith.
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #61
miket
Pope & Young

A little update:

I have to be very generic in how I say this to hopefully keep myself out of trouble because specifics shouldnt be public knowlege ( for the companies sake, not mine )

I made an offer to upper management ( not the owner ) to buy one of the smaller cnc lathes along with an offer to program on contract, guarantee preferential treatment in job routing, consulting and whatever else I can do to ease the transition. The offer was basically ignored and "upper management" ask what the problem was. So I admitted that at first I was pretty irritated at the situation and that ai was put back on a machine while the "favorite" person status was unchanged despite my performance. But that now I have come to realize that the owner has a right to do what he wants in his company and there is nothing I can do about it. "upper management" said that is correct, that this guy is the favorite and nothing we can do will change it. That it will never change, thats how it is and basically I have to live with it. "upper management" said I am important to the company blah blah. " upper management" said that I am still expected to manage the shop while on a machine. I told him that I do not feel that I can adequately manage the shop while programming and running a machine.
( running a machine is a fulltime job in itself-you cant know whats going on in the shop when you are in front of a machine all day )

So now my duties now are managing the shop, running a machine and programming. I will admit Im pretty good at programming and machining. But attempting to do all 3 is a setup for failure.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #62
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Back when I got started we had "working foremen". They basically did what you are having to do. It's tough. I also both program and machine. I'm not sure if I could take on anything else. I wish you all the good luck in the world on whatever you decide.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #63
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Back when I got started we had "working foremen". They basically did what you are having to do. It's tough. I also both program and machine. I'm not sure if I could take on anything else. I wish you all the good luck in the world on whatever you decide.
Thanks bud, I appreciate it. From 2008 till a couple of years ago I was a working there as a supervisor/programmer/machinist. Ran the machine fulltime while doing the other stuff. That was sometimes tough but manager has other duties and requires more knowledge of whats going on in the shop, dealing with assembly, quality, routing jobs, hiring firing ( of course no hiring right now ) etc
Old 02-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #64
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Thanks bud, I appreciate it. From 2008 till a couple of years ago I was a working there as a supervisor/programmer/machinist. Ran the machine fulltime while doing the other stuff. That was sometimes tough but manager has other duties and requires more knowledge of whats going on in the shop, dealing with assembly, quality, routing jobs, hiring firing ( of course no hiring right now ) etc
There isn't any way a person could add the manager duties on top of the rest. Some part of the duties is going to suffer. You can't put 100% into all of them at once.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #65
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
There isn't any way a person could add the manager duties on top of the rest. Some part of the duties is going to suffer. You can't put 100% into all of them at once.
And to be honest, Im not very good at being a manager. They just think Im good because the owners pet sucked so bad at it. Kinda funny actually.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #66
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
I program and machine too. I can't imagine trying to manage as well. We are a job shop and most jobs are rush, which would make it dang near impossible to do all three. Luckily all our CNC guys program and run.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #67
Joshua Flournoy
Ten Point

Speaking as someone who has been self-employed for 21 years, in several different businesses, my suggestion would be the following:

Do everything you can (working extra hours at night, more hours on the weekend) to build up your side business closer to where it can support your family by itself. Continue to do your best at your "full-time" job in the meantime. It doesn't sound like you feel the greatest currently about your job security. If you build up your side business in an aggressive manner, maybe if it gets to the point you are layed off from your full-time job, your side job will be at the point it can support you. And if you don't get layed off any time soon from your full-time job, you may come to a point where your side business is hopefully built up enough that you will have the option to quit your full-time job if you so choose.

I would definitely agree with the person who commented above about never quitting your current job unless you have a new one already lined up. Especially if you have a family.

Edit: I just read your latest update from today and would just reiterate to try and get cranking on getting that side business built up. From the sounds of things, you are "too reliable and responsible" for your own good, which means they will try to give you more than you can handle because they feel they can depend on you (and not so much on their other employees), but without appreciating what all you do. My brother-in-law ran into the same type situation when he worked for a Fortune 500 company in Texas, and eventually they just totally overworked him and he decided to go into business on his own in a different field. He's been doing really well ever since.

Last edited by Joshua Flournoy; 02-07-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Joshua Flournoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #68
Jackal
Spike

Make sure that you haven't signed a non compete for anything that you are currently making for the shop before you leave it.
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #69
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by marceco View Post
My career path exactly parallels yours , except I started in 1977 on Acs , then NCs , and finally CNCs with just enough Manual and Welding Knowledge to make the things I needed for jobs / setups . I also had to do Quality Control / Instrument Certification which helps for an ability to cover all aspects . The only difference is my Wife's Job , Oil Company , had us transferred around a bit . For that reason I never bought my own equipment , although I had many friends who have . The biggest problem they encountered was not having money set aside for broken machines / tooling which you probably already understand how expensive that can be . The next biggest problem was if their shop grew and they purchased additional equipment was finding competent help . The ones that have been the most successful were the ones whoo kept it to just them ; a one man shop . Their wives / kids even help with some of the work . One other thing to consider is the area you are in ; obviously the closer you are to a Large Metro Area the more opportunities to find small run jobs . One individual back in Oklahoma somehow hooked up with a Company in either Montana or Wyoming making a little part for them back in The 80s and they have continued to use him . That little job year in and year out has always provided him with enough income to meet expenses so that everything else he would pick up was profit . He runs his business out of a building that is basically a Two Car Garage with a little work area . All that said , i would work for The Company you are with and build up a Cash Reserve for Your Business . You have obviously proved your worth where you are at . If possible I would have your wife or yourself try to find the time to take some Business Classes to better prepare you for that side of Your Business . Good Luck !
I have put quite a bit of thought into the idea of hiring someone or not. As you stated, finding competent help is a serious issue. I have had quite a bit of trouble finding decent employees for my fulltime job so I am sure it will be harder to find good ones for my shop. Add in the cost of equipment and the relatively low margins in a mchine shop I also believe it may be best to just do it all myself. I would have to invest ( very roughly ) $250k ( easily up to 1 million ) at a bare minimum to clear the same hourly pay I get running one machine myself. At the added risk employees inherently bring.

Thankfully, machine repair costs for the most part will be just for parts. Most things I can handle myself though electronic stuff is far out of my league.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #70
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Employees are kind of like kids, you look at some of the things they do tear up, shake your head and wonder WTH!
tex4k is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #71
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
The best cure for red azz is trail dust!
The way I see it, they have no loyalty to you at at. I'd find another company and never look back. I've worked in the oil / chem construction and maintenance industry since the late 80's....so thats just how I'm geared.
lol
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #72
texsdr
Six Point

Hunt In: Africa,Dryden, Garden City, Utah, Wyoming

I have a lead for you if you are willing to move to Midland! PM ME if interested in uprooting.
texsdr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #73
Roy Munson
Four Point

Quote:
Long term I would much prefer working for myself. I will admit I am not a risk taker. I am very conservative so it does make going out on my own pretty nerve wracking, but at the same time I feel like I have accomplished something at the end of the day. Working for someone is not fulfilling at all for me.

I am not in that industry, so take this with a grain of salt. If what you wrote above is true, then bail. It is nerve wracking, but worrying won't alter the outcome. If you are good at what you do people will pay you to do it. Its a tough decision and may result in some lean years. What if this gamble results in financial freedom you only dreamed about? if you can weather the storm, take the risk. Fortune favors the bold.
Roy Munson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #74
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

Something I learned long ago that has stood up over time - a good, general rule of thumb in these situations:

If it's a good company, but a bad boss - stay put, hunker down, and it will change (usually) for the better.

If it's a bad company but a good boss - start looking for something else/somewhere else to go. The good boss will eventually get fed up and leave, and then things will really get bad/worse.

Best of luck to you, Miket,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #75
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

I have been in your position as far as being asked to run a machine, program, and manage a shop at the same time. It was a challenge to say the least and was extremely difficult at times when we were slammed. We were a small shop so I can't imagine being asked to do this for a larger shop. I hope whatever route you take, you are very successful.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #76
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

You were looking for a job when you found that one.
You can't worry about **** out of your control, but you can control the **** you are worrying about.
Being underappreciated sucks. Being underpaid sucks. Spending your days wondering when its your turn to be fired sucks.
I think you know you've answered your own questions on what to do. Just have to read the words you wrote.

Prayers and good luck.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #77
wal1809
Eight Point

You got 2 choices, stay or start your own. You aint getting any younger, step off into the darkness and go start your own business. That or stay and wonder if you could have succeeded. Every self made rich person told me they took a chance, worked harder than anyone else and made a rich living. Go for it.
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top