Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 02-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #51
Bowman01
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
Yep Bow, no response. I'd be up for a meeting.
Yes sir Iam game!!!!
Bowman01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #52
SFAbowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
SFAbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #53
Kirby86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Have bow, will travel

Working on trying to get the web page portion going. Sorry this isn't moving any faster guys.
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #54
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Persistence is a mosquito, that if not slapped down, turns into a hive of angry hornets that get their way.

Don't let the anxiety of the time it takes to do something right, slap you down. Momentum is key.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #55
rwkiel
Four Point

Bam!

http://www.keeptexaspublic.com/

Adding all of the info will be an ongoing process, but the first step is done! Pretty cheap domain name costs too.
rwkiel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #56
Kirby86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwkiel View Post
Bam!

http://www.keeptexaspublic.com/

Adding all of the info will be an ongoing process, but the first step is done! Pretty cheap domain name costs too.
Good work! Thank you very much!

Heres a little bit to the thought process on the name. Part of the success against HR 621 recently was because that bill brought together both hunters and non-hunters who accessed public lands.

I know that at several of these areas, we have hiking trails, cyclists, anglers and other groups that use these areas. This gives us a wider appeal, therefore more leverage.

Thanks again for all the work that has gone into this guys.

Last edited by Kirby86; 02-15-2017 at 03:24 PM..
Old 02-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #57
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I'm going to copy and paste this link into the SHNF forum if you don't mind. There are a number of people there who are concerned about the FS's recent trail development spree. They put in these trails and since we're supposed to be x number of feet off a trail when hunting it's sort of a de facto way taking away huntable areas.
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #58
Kirby86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
I'm going to copy and paste this link into the SHNF forum if you don't mind. There are a number of people there who are concerned about the FS's recent trail development spree. They put in these trails and since we're supposed to be x number of feet off a trail when hunting it's sort of a de facto way taking away huntable areas.

Please do!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #59
rwkiel
Four Point

I'll make a note on the website that it's under construction and more information will be available in the future (with a timestamp so people don't think it's an abandoned website)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #60
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land
Default National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)

All federal public land management agencies are required to comply with the National Environmental Policy Act.

Land management agencies are required by law to notify the public of all proposed projects or changes in regulations. They must send out a scoping letter (public notice) to all interested citizens asking for comments on the proposed action.

Interested citizens/groups are given the opportunity to comment with substantive concerns and issues during the scoping period. Once comments are received they must be addressed in the Environmental Assessment (EA) and decision document. Commenters then have status to appeal the decisions.

You must ask to be placed on the interested citizen list at each land management unit to receive the scoping letters.

Here's a link to the National Forest and Grasslands in Texas "Schedule of Proposed Actions".

https://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/forest-level.php?110813

I'm not familiar with the Corp of Engineers NEPA process but it will be similar to the Forest Service.

Partnering with these agencies by groups and individuals is one of the best ways to have our voices heard.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #61
Froggy
Pope & Young

Default National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)

Last edited by Froggy; 02-15-2017 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 02-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #62
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)

A lot to read, but I've been trying to do just this for the Sam Houston National forest.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #63
rwkiel
Four Point

Start shooting me info that you've saved up so I can start adding it to the page. I built a prototype layout for now, but once I see the scope of the data I can reassess how best to display/organize it.

First- we need to post something describing our intentions with the website. Right now, while people might know that it is incomplete, they do not know what to expect when it is finished. Let's fix that
Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #64
Kirby86
Ten Point

Guys, Rwkiel has been nice enough to head up building this website, so I am going to be sending him the stuff that a few of you guys had worked on.

If you had something in the works, feel free to send it to him.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #65
jbhunting39
Six Point

Kirby I will have my list ready Tomorow . Sorry for the delay. My mom past away last week and it slowed everything down for me abit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbhunting39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 03:43 AM   #66
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Up early getting ready for a hunting trip.

The SHNF has its own unique set of problems. Right now there is an active bicycle club and a trails coalition linked in with the Sierra club. They both have already started working with Warren Oja ( Person in charge over SHNF) to make bike and hike trails throughout the SHNF. The bike group had 12 miles of trails put in one of 2 archery only areas of the SHNF. Since there is also the LSHT ( lone Star hiking trail) through that same section, it has reduced the huntable area significantly. The rules of the SHNF state that you must be 50 yards away from these trails. So a 100 yard path for 12 miles is a lot of land. Plus we believe the FS has designated the LSHT as occupied, which means you have to be 150 yards away from it, or a 300 yard piece of land we can no longer hunt.

There are an additional 60+ miles of trails scheduled to be added to the SHNF.
Slowly but surely the forest is being made so that the hunters can hardly use the forest.

It's public land and we all get to use it. However there is no group to speak up for the hunters. There also seems to be a bias from Warren Oja against the hunters.

Their own regulations states that all recreational users must wear hunter orange. However Warren says only the hunters must wear it. Not everyone else who uses the forest and roams freely in areas where year round firearm hunting is allowed.

I've got to get going now, but you can see from just these couple of examples that we have a long road ahead of us here for the SHNF.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #67
Cable
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktex View Post
Which lake in dfw do you think will cease hunting?

I have been harassed by home owners on Lake Lewisville. They called the cops. Cops tried to get our attention but we weren't leaving the lake, and they weren't willing to walk through 400 yds of mud to get to us.

They left a note on my truck with their badge number. I called the GW and he called the police and told them to stop harassing hunters in that cove. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if all lake within an hour of DFW all ban hunting eventually.

These people retire, or build out there for peace and quiet with no regard for our rights as public hunters. They don't care. It's pretty much how our great state has handled public hunting throughout history. We suck at it.

Best thing we can do is try to fight it as long as we can. Apathy will be our undoing as sportsmen and women in not only Texas, but this country.
Cable is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #68
Cable
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I am looking forward to seeing this website. We need a united voice in Texas.
Cable is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #69
locolonghorn
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere/Anytime

Agreed��
locolonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #70
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Default Name Ideas

PLOT - Public Land Owners of Texas (if you're planning on including non-hunting interests)

PHLOT - Public Hunting Land Owners of Texas (if you're not)

I've recently been mulling over the same idea of creating a nonprofit for this purpose as another nonprofit I was formerly involved with had little to no desire to focus any energy toward public hunting. I've got some ideas on how you could really grow this organization once it gets up and running. When we get to that place, let me know so I can share my ideas and get involved myself.

Pablo
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #71
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Man I'm glad to see some folks with some know-how and experience in these matters taking charge of this. It's long over due, and I say this as someone who hunts public land very little.

You need only read what Damian (aka huntinfool) wrote to see that we're getting screwed in the SHNF.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #72
Kirby86
Ten Point

Fellas, here it is. http://www.keeptexaspublic.com/

Working on the rest of it currently. At this point we have a list of areas, but what we will need in the future is data on the issues facing each area. We're hoping to have some sort of drop-down list to make it easy to know what each area is dealing with, and how we can have a collective way to voice our concerns.

Also, you need to be aware of the "master plan revisions" taking place at Lake Lavon, Lake Whitney, Canyon Lake and Sam Rayburn. http://www.swf.usace.army.mil/About/...-Plan-Updates/

If we can have all of this information up and running, my next step is to go to archery shops within the metroplex and see if they will let us put up fliers or some sort of advertising.

There are almost a dozen archery shops throughout DFW that would likely be interested in this issue considering it affects some of their clientele.

From there it just becomes advertising and getting the word out and figuring which issues to put to the forefront.

Sam Houston National Forest has a ton of hunters. Unfortunately, hunters are the easiest group to solidify until you start talking about taking away our hunting rights. It sounds like this is needs to be a priority issue.

Last edited by Kirby86; 02-22-2017 at 02:39 PM..
Old 02-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #73
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

That opening page looks great!

To establish the organization with funding, and help pay for expenses such as advertising, web-sight, travel, ect, I'd suggest create a set of by-laws and a mission statement. Then filing it with the IRS and opening it as a 501c3, non-profit. Even though it is a "non-profit" per say, the entity would still be able to make some increases per year in holdings per year. It will also help keep funding from intermingling with personal interest/assets. I've had to do this before with a triathlon club I helped in founding in Ft. Worth. Then managed it for a few years. I'm beyond that capacity now. But it would be a great opportunity for some younger persons. And you can always add it to your resume for future job prospects.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #74
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I tried opening that http://www.keeptexaspublic.com/ but got a pop-up that said it was blocked by a security threat.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #75
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Thank you for the link.

I've posted it on the SHNF threads and asked those to get on board.

I opened the SHNF and it opens a box that says leave a comment.

What are you looking for there? If you're looking for problems I can give some, if you're looking for suggestions, I've got some of those too.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #76
Dave_
Six Point

Hunt In: Where I can

Looks great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Dave_ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #77
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I was able to open from my phone. It does look good!

Be sure and put a link to FB so people can post it to their walls.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #78
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land, Hill country

Quote:
I was able to open from my phone. It does look good!

Be sure and put a link to FB so people can post it to their walls.
Or create an actual FB page, then people can join and follow!
Bigyummy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #79
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
Or create an actual FB page, then people can join and follow!
Or there's that.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #80
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Quote:
Or there's that.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #81
Kirby86
Ten Point

Okay, so Rwkiel and I have been talking.

Currently I am active on the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Texas Chapter page, but what we need right now is hard data.

What do I mean by that? Well, if we think that deer hunting should be allowed at some place like Lavon, we are going to need information. If we create an online petition of some sort, we need to have statistics, etc. at our disposal, otherwise we are just arguing from a position based off of opinions and nothing else.

Same goes for the SHNF. Personally, I would think that Backcountry Hunters and Anglers would be our best bet to deal with these and use the KeepTexasPublic page as a resource in concert with BHA. I know that I have been sort of listed as the de facto head of this, but at this point I feel like I have reached the extent of what else I know to do other than the creation of a webpage and group.

I highly recommend joining the BHA Facebook page found here https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texa...ountryHunters/

If you have any recommendations, let me know, but we're getting to the point where we probably need to have an in person meeting to discuss organization and goals.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #82
CurrentTide
Four Point

Hunt In: Hall County, Callahan County, Kerr County

Just seeing this and I am in. Been a member of BHA, TRCP and TU (I know its fishing, but they fight pretty hard for public land and access) for some time now and would love to be able to get involved locally. Just recently saw the Texas BHA chapter and I want to pitch in.
CurrentTide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #83
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post

Currently I am active on the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Texas Chapter page, but what we need right now is hard data.

What do I mean by that? Well, if we think that deer hunting should be allowed at some place like Lavon, we are going to need information. If we create an online petition of some sort, we need to have statistics, etc. at our disposal, otherwise we are just arguing from a position based off of opinions and nothing else.

Same goes for the SHNF. Personally, I would think that Backcountry Hunters and Anglers would be our best bet to deal with these and use the KeepTexasPublic page as a resource in concert with BHA. I know that I have been sort of listed as the de facto head of this, but at this point I feel like I have reached the extent of what else I know to do other than the creation of a webpage and group.

I highly recommend joining the BHA Facebook page found here https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texa...ountryHunters/

If you have any recommendations, let me know, but we're getting to the point where we probably need to have an in person meeting to discuss organization and goals.
I believe I saw, in one if the links above, that Lavon is going to be doing a study of the WT population and discussing allowing hunting or a lottery system for them.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #84
jbhunting39
Six Point

Site is looking good. Let me know if I can help out with anything fellas.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #85
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
I believe I saw, in one if the links above, that Lavon is going to be doing a study of the WT population and discussing allowing hunting or a lottery system for them.
I've talked off and on to the head guy at Lavon for a few years. He has told me several times that this isn't going to happen as long as he is in charge. I squirrel hunt units 2 and 3 at Lavon and see plenty of deer for a draw hunt. The problem is the surrounding land owners. Pretty much every property backing up to the COE land has a feeder by the fence. They don't want to lose their sanctuary. Unit 3 is on the Environmentally Sensitive Area list. I figure my best squirrel spot will go away shortly.
Goldeneagle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #86
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
I've talked off and on to the head guy at Lavon for a few years. He has told me several times that this isn't going to happen as long as he is in charge. I squirrel hunt units 2 and 3 at Lavon and see plenty of deer for a draw hunt. The problem is the surrounding land owners. Pretty much every property backing up to the COE land has a feeder by the fence. They don't want to lose their sanctuary. Unit 3 is on the Environmentally Sensitive Area list. I figure my best squirrel spot will go away shortly.
If you haven't, try areas 6-8.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #87
lsoutdoorstx
Four Point

This must all be due to political pressure & the general public safety concerns? Recently the Bailey & Barnum Circus (?) will stop circus due to same type of public pressure issues. Sad
lsoutdoorstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #88
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post

Old 03-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #89
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Williamson Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Same deal with granger, private landowners pull kept the deer hunting to a minimum with limited draws, its a little more open with the post card deal but still restricted compared to other projects. While hog hunting at granger I see more deer there than any public land I've hunted in the state the last few years.

Last edited by bossbowman; 03-02-2017 at 09:43 AM..
bossbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #90
Knot at work
Spike

Should be free for feral hogs on any public land just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Knot at work; 03-05-2017 at 01:38 PM..
Knot at work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #91
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Quote:
Old 03-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #92
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:

Seems like there is a lot of work ahead.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #93
jbhunting39
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot at work View Post
Should be free for feral hogs on any public land just my 2 cents.

Agree

Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #94
jbhunting39
Six Point

There should be hunting on almost all the tracts as well. Post card/ Lottery or something. It isn't like we just go in there and shoot every **** one of them. I wish it was that easy. From the 30 years of experience I have hunting, it is pretty **** hard to outwit an old mature whitetail in their own environment. And getting close enough to shoot one with a bow is even more challenging.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #95
jbhunting39
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhunting39 View Post
There should be hunting on almost all the tracts as well. Post card/ Lottery or something. It isn't like we just go in there and shoot every **** one of them. I wish it was that easy. From the 30 years of experience I have hunting, it is pretty **** hard to outwit an old mature whitetail in their own environment. And getting close enough to shoot one with a bow is even more challenging.

There should be Deer hunting

Old 03-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #96
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
All federal public land management agencies are required to comply with the National Environmental Policy Act.

Land management agencies are required by law to notify the public of all proposed projects or changes in regulations. They must send out a scoping letter (public notice) to all interested citizens asking for comments on the proposed action.

Interested citizens/groups are given the opportunity to comment with substantive concerns and issues during the scoping period. Once comments are received they must be addressed in the Environmental Assessment (EA) and decision document. Commenters then have status to appeal the decisions.

You must ask to be placed on the interested citizen list at each land management unit to receive the scoping letters.

Here's a link to the National Forest and Grasslands in Texas "Schedule of Proposed Actions".

I'm not familiar with the Corp of Engineers NEPA process but it will be similar to the Forest Service.

Partnering with these agencies by groups and individuals is one of the best ways to have our voices heard.
I've asked to be added to that list in the past. I was told there was no such thing.

However a friend was placed on it. However he has recently discovered he has been removed.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #97
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Default 501c(4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
That opening page looks great!

To establish the organization with funding, and help pay for expenses such as advertising, web-sight, travel, ect, I'd suggest create a set of by-laws and a mission statement. Then filing it with the IRS and opening it as a 501c3, non-profit. Even though it is a "non-profit" per say, the entity would still be able to make some increases per year in holdings per year. It will also help keep funding from intermingling with personal interest/assets. I've had to do this before with a triathlon club I helped in founding in Ft. Worth. Then managed it for a few years. I'm beyond that capacity now. But it would be a great opportunity for some younger persons. And you can always add it to your resume for future job prospects.
I would go with a 501c(4) corporation. That is the non-profit structure that allows lobbying and activity to influence legislation. If you go this route you can't get in trouble for saying something if a (fill in the blank) candidate is running who would be against increased public hunting land. I would really like to see the organization grow to a point where we could actually be invited to the table with the other groups that can actually influence TPWD policies. One of the biggest tragedies (in my opinion) is the fact that none of the monies raised for public draw hunts as well as those raised from APH permits go to the WMAs that host the hunts. I think this is a big part of the reason so many State Parks choose not to host public hunting. They have no incentive to do so. In fact, when they do they lose money by closing down the park to other patrons. I don't see this problem being fixed any time soon but maybe in the future...
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #98
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Exclamation

The National Infrastructure Report Card has been released and it is not so great, as expected: D+

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

The National Public Parks, Which include OUR PUBLIC LANDS, came in looking unacceptable as well: D+

http://www.infrastructurereportcard..../public-parks/

The Texas grade has yet to released, but you can check different aspects ($86.71 million in unmet needs for the parks system):

http://www.infrastructurereportcard....te-item/texas/

If you would like to voice your opinion to our legislators, about how you feel about how all of this stands now, Here is the link:

http://www.infrastructurereportcard....r-legislators/

This would also be great to add to http://www.keeptexaspublic.com/ !!!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #99
Froggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
I've asked to be added to that list in the past. I was told there was no such thing.

However a friend was placed on it. However he has recently discovered he has been removed.

Contact them again and ask for the District Ranger. Demand to be put on the scoping list. By law they must give all interested citizens the opportunity to respond to all proposed projects.

You can also go to this link to see and reply to scoping letters for the Schedule of Proposed Actions (SOPA).

Old 03-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #100
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Contact them again and ask for the District Ranger. Demand to be put on the scoping list. By law they must give all interested citizens the opportunity to respond to all proposed projects.

You can also go to this link to see and reply to scoping letters for the Schedule of Proposed Actions (SOPA).

I've sent two emails asking to be put on that list.