Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 01-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
BowHuntOrDie
Spike

Hunt In: Brackettville ,Huntsville,coldspring,somerville
Default muleys

Anyone had any luck hunting muleys on public land ?
BowHuntOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

Any state in particular?
solocam_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
BowHuntOrDie
Spike

Sry in tx mainly but any state is fine
Old 01-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Utah, Idaho, Colorado, NM, AZ, MT what kind of hunt are you looking for? High country? Rut hunt? Etc
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowHuntOrDie View Post
Sry in tx mainly but any state is fine
I dont believe there are any opportunities to hunt Muleys on public land outside of the draw system. If that is what you were referring to, there are several on here that were successful in this.

I have yet to be drawn in 5 yrs of applying, and I figure I have many more years to go before actually having a good chance to draw.
solocam_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
BowHuntOrDie
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
Utah, Idaho, Colorado, NM, AZ, MT what kind of hunt are you looking for? High country? Rut hunt? Etc
It dont really matter to me im just wanting to hunt a mule deer buck haha
Old 01-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
BowHuntOrDie
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
I dont believe there are any opportunities to hunt Muleys on public land outside of the draw system. If that is what you were referring to, there are several on here that were successful in this.

I have yet to be drawn in 5 yrs of applying, and I figure I have many more years to go before actually having a good chance to draw.
Oh reallly i figured there would be at least one place you didn't have to draw anything but i guess not
Old 01-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
drube75
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM / TX

My wife shot this buck while 8 months pregnant back in November. Unit 40 New Mexico. Not a lot of folks harvest deer in this unit because of how flat and difficult it is to hunt it. We both shot muleys...mine was a small fork so i'll keep the pics to myself!
Attached Images

drube75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
BowHuntOrDie
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by drube75 View Post
My wife shot this buck while 8 months pregnant back in November. Unit 40 New Mexico. Not a lot of folks harvest deer in this unit because of how flat and difficult it is to hunt it. We both shot muleys...mine was a small fork so i'll keep the pics to myself!
awesome deer man
Old 01-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #10
Puncher51
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Do you have to be drawn for Lake Meredith? I didn't think you did
Puncher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #11
justhrowit
Ten Point

Hunt In: Your tree stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncher51 View Post
X2.... I was thinking the same thing.
justhrowit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Meredith is only place I am aware of you can just go hunt mule deer without being drawn as far as public goes...
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #13
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

Draw or no draw questions can be answered by visiting each state's Division/Department of Wildlife site. If you want to analyze your probability of a successful draw in an area, you'll need to look into historical data that has been broken down into the individual units (or counties). I know Colorado shares all of this information (tags applied for and tags granted) as well as CWD data for each unit.

I've gone in Colo, Utah, WY, and Missouri. Each state has it's own system and laws.

Last edited by tigerscowboy; 01-20-2017 at 10:00 AM..
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

yep
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
robie
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowHuntOrDie View Post
Oh reallly i figured there would be at least one place you didn't have to draw anything but i guess not
If you just want to go Idaho has and OTC tag you can purchase. Montana has leftover tags each year in July. Everything in CO is draw. I'm pretty sure everything in NM is draw as well.
robie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #16
justhrowit
Ten Point

Gohunt.com

The best collection of resources including draw odds, units, preference points, bonus points, success rates, etc for all the western states. They have podcasts as well that give more insight how to use the site. For instance, you can't just look at the odds for unit. You might end up with a unit thats all private lands, etc. You can also pay to join Insider, which I have not done yet as I don't plan to hunt out west this year. Anyway, something to look at if you're venturing outside of Texas.

J
Old 01-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #17
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhrowit View Post
Gohunt.com

The best collection of resources including draw odds, units, preference points, bonus points, success rates, etc for all the western states. They have podcasts as well that give more insight how to use the site. For instance, you can't just look at the odds for unit. You might end up with a unit thats all private lands, etc. You can also pay to join Insider, which I have not done yet as I don't plan to hunt out west this year. Anyway, something to look at if you're venturing outside of Texas.

J
The problem with that site and others like eastmens is everybody is reading them and it makes the draw odds harder in the more desirable units.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #18
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

I would suggest Idaho archery over the counter tags. Tons of public land. I killed a doe second day, should have waited, i saw multiple decent bucks in bow range. I was elk hunting and decided to grab a mule deer tag. These were mountain muleys and were not monsters, but it was public land DIY and it was a blast.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #19
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: I used to hunt in Culberson County, but now I hunt in Val Verde County.

I drew Sierra Diablo about 5 years ago. Had a great time, but only was allowed to hunt 1300 acres. Everyone killed a deer except me. Not that I didn't see any, I just didn't see one I wanted. I've already got 3 on the wall and was waiting for something exceptional. I did see bighorn sheep though. That was definitely a plus. I'm looking at maybe trying again this next year and maybe New Mexico.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #20
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

Quote:
Gohunt.com

J
Of course. It goes without saying that you have to research each state and it's units for BLM areas vs private land owner.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #21
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

2013 killed a muley buck scoring 146 at Matador WMA in Texas! Haven't been drawn again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #22
justhrowit
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
The problem with that site and others like eastmens is everybody is reading them and it makes the draw odds harder in the more desirable units.
Oh I know... it makes the site completely useless
Old 01-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #23
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncher51 View Post
It's not a draw. Just put on your orange and go.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #24
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Oh I know... it makes the site completely useless
That's not what I was saying. Just saying if a unit looks good on there or they talk up a unit everybody is reading it so you can expect the odds to go down the next year.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #25
justhrowit
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
That's not what I was saying. Just saying if a unit looks good on there or they talk up a unit everybody is reading it so you can expect the odds to go down the next year.
That's this era of social networking. It happens on this site, AT, and every other site. The information they have isn't anything magic. You can go to all these states individual sites or call their wildlife departments for the same info. Odds won't change THAT much. Success rates won't change at all. There will be ups and downs with all the units with drawing success.
Use the tools that are available to you, learn how to use them to your advantage. 99% of hunters are lazy and won't do the work before or during the hunt, especially out west. Know how to put in to multiple states and multiple units and put the odds in your favor. Then bust your tail scouting and on the hunt. Very few people do this.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #26
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

The second part of your post is what I was talking about. All the information is already out there for those of us that know where to look. But when they put a lot of it in one spot like on go hunt it becomes easy. Therefore the people that were to lazy to look into the info before will start putting in.
I dread when something I was planning on putting in for shows up in a magazine because the odds of getting drawn usually go way down after for a while at least.

Also to the op. Like others said lake Meredith is the only public place in Texas without drawing. Other options are to put in for tpwd draw hunts and hope for the best. But if you want to be able to go consistently you'll have to look into other states.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #27
justhrowit
Ten Point

I definitely get what you're saying. My thought process is regardless if the information is in one place or not, people are still required to do a lot of leg work. Most people still wont do it. One top of that, to get the really good stuff in that site, you need to join/PAY for the information. That weeds out a heck of a lot of folks. Knowing how to read a map will weed out a bunch more. Draw odds are not changed much by sites like this. The biggest factor to changing draw odds are government regulations and changing of those regulations as it applies to preference or bonus points, in state vs out of state hunters, amount of tags issued for the unit, etc. Per usual, the Gov't will screw you much faster.

J