Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
Cardinal
Six Point

Default A 58 acre slice of our own...

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I made the plunge and became landowners in Henderson County. I am no stranger to this land - its 58.193 acres that sits adjacent to my parents' 70 acres.

I was blessed to be raised on these properties; running through the woods, building forts, fishing on the ponds, working cows and baling hay since I was a kid out here. When I was 18 I thought I had enough of the hard work and blood, sweat and cow mess. After being gone a year or two I realized how much I already missed being here.

After a stint in Tyler and a few years in Houston, we decided that my home town was the best place to raise our boys and set down roots and get out of the craziness of the big city. We were blessed for my wife to get a great job offer here and I took the plunge in starting my own small business and both have worked out much better than we could have ever planned. This purchase was made possible by my wife's hard work and sacrifice to get through 9 years of school, and I will always be grateful to her.

A little history on the land: this property was purchased by my great grandfather around 1933. Obviously not as long as some Texans and some of our TBH members have had land in their families, but I am proud to be the 4th generation to work on this place and look forward to slaving my boys as the 5th generation in a few years The portion we purchased was a part an uncle and aunt had received in the will when my grandmother died. They were in no hurry to sell, but fortunately we came to an agreement on an offer after going back and forth a few times at holidays and family get-togethers.

Here is a Google Earth shot of what we purchased as it looks today, along with what it looked like in 1995 (when I was around 7 years old) and in 1947ish, when my granddad would have been about 15 years old. Ours is in red and my parent's is in green. Images may be a little grainy as I downsized them a little to get them to load.
Attached Images

Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX

Awesome!!! Congrats!
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Cardinal
Six Point

So, what's the point in the D-I-Y thread? A few reasons I guess. There are tons of threads on TBH that I have enjoyed watching over the years and I've learned a lot from. Chew, Stan R, unclefish, Sneaky are a few on land that I've enjoyed following over the years (there are countless more I could list, these are just a few on the top of my head). I want to be elgato when I grow up (lol), even though this property has no shot at being anything like that in regards to hunting. I've enjoyed watching the live home build threads as well, from solocamaggie and duckhunter2007's barndos to Oscar's beautiful home in Houston.

All have given me ideas to think about and inspire for the future. So I figured I'd let everyone follow along in my adventures, and maybe inspire others as these guys did for me or maybe scare them away from doing what I'm doing (what have I got myself into )
Old 09-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Cardinal
Six Point

So, first off... I guess my goals for the property are to get it whipped back into working shape. Its gotten a little on the rough and wild side. Growing up, we baled hay off of this part primarily. My dad occasionally ran cattle over here, but the creek is a deep cut channel and after fighting cows and calves over the years he hasn't ran them for almost 10 years on our part north of the creek. I'd really like to keep the cows off of us and bale it several times a year to avoid our small cattle operation from having to buy it anymore.

Our cattle operation is more of a hobby at this point that gives a little bonus income to offset the costs of having land and of course to keep it in ag for taxes. My dad used to run anywhere from 30-50 head when I was a kid, but he has more like 10-15 now. I guess in time I'd like to build up the herd again and maybe make a little more living off of them.

We are planning on eventually building a home out here. I'd love to sell our house in town and build a barndominium right now, but my wife would rather save as much as possible to build a home in 7 years.

In regards to hunting, I see that as just a little bit of a bonus on this property. Growing up we mainly quail hunted. I didnt deer hunt until junior high and didn't start bowhunting until 2 years ago (this will be my 3rd season). We occasionally would see deer growing up, but the numbers have jumped in the last few years (or my game camera has just showed me what I didnt know)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Cardinal
Six Point

With bow season just around the corner, I wanted to post a few pictures of what we have going and what I have planned in time.

Our family has 40 acres east of this property that is surrounded by a larger ranch and some land that is a church camp that is not hunted at all, so that has always been my primary hunting property along with my in-laws property in Rains county.

In 2013 while still living in Houston, I walked along the creek and found a few rubs around. I picked up an extra game camera and just set it out on the creek on our property just to see what was around.

This guy was hanging around pretty consistently, along with a few spikes and does. Nothing crazy and I had better deer on our other property, so I just continued to occasionally hand corn until I was able to put up a feeder.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
ACook
Eight Point

Hunt In: NM, MS

Congrats on the property! I have a barndo or similar build in my ten year plan back home in MS. Can't wait to follow along on this journey with ya!
ACook is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

So the Red and Green is your? Congrats BTW!!!
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
libertybow
Eight Point

That is great--and being family land makes it even better!
libertybow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Cardinal
Six Point

In 2014, I had the feeder up and running during the later part of the summer and throughout the season. I had the same little pack of does that seemed to hang around our place and likely the place west of us that is a jungle and is owned by non-hunters. I had to rearrange cameras and put a little junker wildgame innovations camera over here, which crapped out on me and this was really the only pictures I had of bucks during the season:
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #10
Dchilds
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River Co.

Awesome and congrats!
Dchilds is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #11
Cardinal
Six Point

In 2015, we moved back from Houston and I said I was going to get serious about hunting and pursuing deer here rather than at the other property. Starting my company up took way more time than I anticipated though

Once again, I ran corn through my feeder and hand corned some other spots. I was surprised to see some pretty nice bucks (for us) start showing up.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #12
Cardinal
Six Point

If you notice the time stamps from 2015, EVERY ONE of these pictures are from the 27th and 28th. The chocolate horned buck with the extra junk at his base would have been a great buck to my standards.

These guys were all around those two days though and moved out. I had a ground blind about 20-25 yards from the feeder brushed in very well. Opening morning I got busted by a doe around 9:30 am getting out of the blind, but I really don't think the bucks were even around the property at that point - I just have a feeling they were passing through. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Regardless, I knew a basic goal I wanted to set: keep the does I have in there happy, healthy and comfortable. I planted 1/4 of an acre of an elbon, oats and clover mix at this location and at 2 other locations. I didnt have an exclusion cage at any of them but it appeared they were hammering it pretty hard vs. the plots I had planted at my family's 40 acres.

I played the wind, drowned myself in scent cover but never saw any bucks during bow season. With the business kicking off and being swamped, I tried to dedicate hunting to Thursday evenings, Saturday morning and evening and Sunday evening. Would occasionally see does, lots of coons and the occasional fox and coyote. All were getting a pass in case that chocolate horned buck came back, but no such luck.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
Devin
Administrator

Congratulations on your 58.193 acre (only a surveyor would carry it to 3 decimals... ) slice o' heaven!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #14
Cardinal
Six Point

During rifle season, I had a decent 8 that I took a crack at with my rifle at about 220 yards one evening very late in the season. I pushed the shot a little, gave him time and found a few drops of blood. We searched hard for him the next week but had no luck finding him. I did have an 8 show up after the season on camera I am 95% sure was him. I don't have the game camera picture on this computer for some reason though.

This season, I have a few bucks and a few other critters that have showed up that need to be exterminated...the dang hogs.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #15
Cardinal
Six Point

Ok, back to the D-I-Y...

First plans are to keep it simple and cheap for the time being. Our youngest had a rough start with viral meningitis at 4 days old and a few days at children's in Dallas. We need to knock out those medical bills along with the ones at his delivery before we splurge and make too many jumps financially.

I'd like to get a culvert set on the FM, really doesn't need one I guess, but as wet as it was the last two years I don't think it would hurt. Next is just to get my food plots in the ground (I know I'm running out of time). The only other plan is to find time to enjoy it, lol.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #16
Patriot-2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Texas

Congratulations my TBH Brother as my wife and I purchased our piece of Texas back in May. Even sweeter because you're next to Family.

Like those Wildgame Pics ... Even more because they're what I use (Also Wildgame feeders).
Don't know why everyone Rags on them ... Never had a failure.
Patriot-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #17
Cardinal
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
Awesome!!! Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACook View Post
Congrats on the property! I have a barndo or similar build in my ten year plan back home in MS. Can't wait to follow along on this journey with ya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertybow View Post
That is great--and being family land makes it even better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchilds View Post
Awesome and congrats!
Thanks guys. Its exciting and scary all at once, running a business, doing this and then chasing a two year old and a 2 month old around. I love me some mayhem though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
So the Red and Green is your? Congrats BTW!!!
Yep, the red outline is ours, and everything outlined in green adjacent to it is my parents. So the woods east of mine is open for hunting but I'm trying to keep it more of a sanctuary for now. And thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
Congratulations on your 58.193 acre (only a surveyor would carry it to 3 decimals... ) slice o' heaven!
Hey now...an engineer would find a way to make it more complicated than that with an equation Thanks Devin! BTW, been really enjoying following your thread and your place is looking good. Hoping we can have something that nice one day!
Old 09-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
Cardinal
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
Congratulations my TBH Brother as my wife and I purchased our piece of Texas back in May. Even sweeter because you're next to Family.

Like those Wildgame Pics ... Even more because they're what I use (Also Wildgame feeders).
Don't know why everyone Rags on them ... Never had a failure.
Appreciate it!

In regards to the Wildgame Innovation Equip., I've come to the conclusion they are what they are...a cheap camera and cheap feeders. There is nothing wrong with that though for some of us. If I can get 2 seasons out of a $50 camera I cant complain too much. I've had that polybarrel feeder for 5 years now and it has been thrown all around by cows and hogs at different places and it was $75. I've had some of their cameras last 4 years and some not even make it 4 weeks. Its just a preference thing, like the never ending battle between Bison, Yeti and RTIC and us poor boys who only have igloos

I will say that I am now considering trying to phase all of my cameras to Brownings after the success I've had with a strike force. I think I've had it out for 6 weeks and its sitting on 100% battery power after taking around 4000 pictures. Not bad for a $99 camera. We'll see how it holds up once it gets really cold.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #19
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

CONGRATS! Nice looking place!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #20
Slickrick
Six Point

Hunt In: Shackelford CO

Congrats. My dads side of the family had 360 acres in Rusk Co. that I stomped around on all my life. Beautiful property that my grandfather bought in the mid 20s. I always loved going there but no one in the family wanted to keep it and I did not have the money to buy it when it was sold in 2003. I would give anything to have that land.
Slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #21
TXgringo83
Four Point

Hunt In: Trout Creek, TX

First of all I love threads like this. One day ill purchase a 50 plus acre tract myself.

You have some good bucks. I grew up in Hawkins and we used to drive through Henderson coming back down to the coast. Lots of deer and hogs.

Browning strikeforce are the best bang for your buck in my opinion. Ive had several brands and that is by far my favorite camera.
TXgringo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #22
tps7742
Ten Point

Congratulations on your family land purchase! Awesome history on you land also.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #23
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

Congrats on your land purchase!
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #24
Grizzly1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Carthage TX, Victoria TX

Congrats on the new place and good luck hunting
I think the buck in the first pic from 10/11/13 is the same buck you have a pic of on 10/10/2014......a year later he is much bigger but from his frame and G1's its the same deer I believe.
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2016, 12:51 AM   #25
WTJim
Eight Point

Nice ivory on that lone boar...
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #26
Cardinal
Six Point

My wife had a wedding shower back in Houston this weekend, so I wasn't able to get out for the opener due to watching my boys and trying to stay caught up with work. Did have a chance Sunday to do a little shredding to prep for food plots, and pulled cards. Hoping to sit out next weekend and stick a pig at least...the weekend after that I will be on the bench, have to get some dental surgery done on Friday the 14th.

Got in a rather large yellowjacket nest somewhere along the way yesterday while shredding, bailed off of the tractor and luckily only got popped a couple of times. Really hoping to get a cab tractor in the future to avoid the elements, lol. Also missed a 3-4' water moccasin with the shredder. Didn't have a way to kill him but just try and chase him down on the tractor, but he got away.

Food plots are going to go in next weekend on this place and the 40 acre place down the road. Will probably go with an oats/elbon/clover mix this year, as I've had luck with that in the past.

Little discouraged so far, not many deer pictures the last 2-3 weeks, just hogs. I guess they are pushing the deer out.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #27
PorkNation
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason county and Milam county

nice
PorkNation is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #28
b-wayne
Nubbin' Buck

Very nice
b-wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #29
DJames
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lease-less

You did good! One of these days...
DJames is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #30
Cardinal
Six Point

Just a little update...

Haven't got to hunt near as much as I'd like to this season...running a business and having 2 kids under 3 years old will do that I guess, lol.

Sadly, I haven't had but one legal buck on camera on this property all year - hunted hard during the rut hoping someone new would show up, saw several young bucks and does...and way too many hogs.

I have access to another property down the road with some better deer, so a lot of my effort hunting (when I can) has been over there.

Anyways, in regards to progress, did a little bartering for some dozer work recently. The guy just happened to have a job close to my place he was finishing up, so I had him just come on out and clean up some of the sweet gum thicket out here. I hate those trees with a passion. Doesn't appear that the deer have minded, he saw several does moseying around the other morning before he got started again.

I don't think the deer were utilizing any of that thicket at all, nothing for them to eat and couldn't see any signs of them bedding in it...however, the hogs loved bedding in it lol.

Thinking about grabbing a bag of elbon rye or oats and throwing it out just to see if some comes up with these warm spells we keep having...but we do appear to have some cold weather coming next week again so not sure if its worth fooling with.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #31
poisonivie
Ten Point

Hunt In: wise co and anywhere I can

That looks better. Rye seed is cheap. Throw it, can't hurt. Might help with erosion anyway.
poisonivie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #32
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Williamson Counties

Where did you find the 1947 aerial?, never seen any that far back.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #33
tradtiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Congrats on the place; good luck with improvements. Looks like you could get some bacon hunting your feeder.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #34
Gradams
Four Point

Nice
Gradams is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #35
Cardinal
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Where did you find the 1947 aerial?, never seen any that far back.
Found them Here.

You can preview for free, but they charge you a small amount to download the older aerials. The nice thing is, they send you several image files (.jpg, .tif, etc.) as well as a Google Earth KMZ overlay - it will overlay into your Google Earth over the 2010's imagery.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:51 AM   #36
JP Weld
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas TX

Congrats!
JP Weld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #37
Bumpy
Ten Point

Man if it was me I'd plant some Durana Clover. I've been doing some reading about it and its what I'm planting in the spring.
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #38
Cardinal
Six Point

Planning on doing a prescribed burn on the 28 acre pasture north of the creek Saturday...wish us luck.

We have some good fire guards in, have the volunteer fire department coming out with about 10 people and brush trucks. Wind looks to be about 8 mph out of the south so hopefully idea conditions if we start at the FM and burn south.

Going to give the fire department a little donation and feed them lunch as well. They have been busy chasing fires in Henderson County the last couple of weeks and I figure it the least me and my wife can do for their help.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #39
Cardinal
Six Point

Burn went well, had a little rain and extra wind that wasn't expected Saturday, but anywhere that had a good mat of bahia or coastal burned hot and fast.

Have a few patches of weeds that didn't burn and a few spots that were still too wet to burn that didn't catch, but I will finish all of them off with the shredder.

After shredding, next is killing gophers. Its getting a good rain today so most of the soot and ash is getting soaked into the soil...going to try and do a soil test and see what needs to be done next for the hay meadow, and see what needs to be done for my food plot spots.

Only picture I was able to snag Saturday:
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #40
jvig1014
Spike

Nice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jvig1014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 06:34 AM   #41
Allaroundhunt
Four Point

Hunt In: Wise County, TX, Hyatt and Union County,NC

Any updates this month? I'd love to see what plans are coming around for this season, and how'd the gopher eradication go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Allaroundhunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #42
BobsAndBlues12
Spike

Hunt In: South Texas & Permian

Thats awesome congrats
BobsAndBlues12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #43
Cardinal
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaroundhunt View Post
Any updates this month? I'd love to see what plans are coming around for this season, and how'd the gopher eradication go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for bumping this up...we got the remaining weeds shredded, and the place is really greening up and looking great. I don't have any pictures on my phone of it at the moment but will get some this weekend. It actually looks like a hay meadow north of the creek again and not like a jungle. A lot of coastal has bounced back and I plan on hitting it with fertilize soon. I need to sprig or plant something where we cleared the sweet gums and elms, I think I may have missed the sprigging window though. Anyone have any suggestions what to do about 6-8 acres of bare dirt? Just keep it shredded and sprig the whole thing next February? Throw down some common bermuda seed from Hancock? I have bahia as well, our cows eat the coastal/bahia bales just fine but I may have trouble selling any excess hay I may have down the road.

I priced around some gopher machines and man they are high. I saw prices from 1800-3500 on them around here. For some reason I thought I could get one for 1200 or less. My dad has an ancient one in his barn that I have debated on getting out and trying to see what it can do, but gopher killing is on hold at the moment.

We are getting some bids for a new fence along the FM and a cattleguard/entry as well. Hoping that we can tackle that over the summer. We like the Priefert Ponderosa fencing but its about $12/foot for materials according to their website...cheaper than pipe and sucker rod, but does anyone have any experience with it?