Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 04-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)
Default Shnf 16-17

Here it is! It's time to get scouting and seeing where you're going to hunt this season.

Please do not post up locations.
Know that everything you post here is open to public scrutiny. Ie, you may get called out for no tag, no orange, and you may get a visit from the GW. ( it has happened)

No name calling, keep it serious. If you just want to talk smack, then go to the other thread.
Please don't post up pics of deer not taken from the SHNF.
If you're new and you have a question, please read the SHNF threads or get online and read the rules, almost every question has been answered. Also, we all work for a living, so it may take us a day or two to see your post. Have patience.

Most of all, show some respect.

GO!
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #2
Coon
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

I'm going to try to get out there this year. I've lost 70 lbs. and feel great! If I can manage to save some vacation time, I'd like to connect with some of you guys this year and have some fun. I live in a little subdivision in the SHNF and my property is bordered by NF. I grew up hunting and roaming SHNF and would like to get together with you guys. I have been following on here for the last few years. The deer raid my garden every spring and I want some revenge. I'm really looking forward to meeting up with you guys.
Dave
Coon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 05:25 AM   #3
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Sounds good Dave. Big congrats on the weight loss. What have you been doing? I'm not huge, but I could certainly stand to lose 20-30 lbs. I've tried watching what I eat, but it seems I'm always hungry and just overeat. I've tried skipping a meal, but that just makes me hungry...and I overeat. Seems no matter how much I eat, I stay about the same weight. I just need to stop overeating.

Not sure when I'll be up that way, but I'll message you and we can make a scouting trip together.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
cmh2007
Ten Point

You know just to confuse people we could secretly talk about the forest in the other thread
cmh2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
dmack
Pope & Young

Hunt In: shnf

I feel so left out. It's all about being serious this year.
dmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
cmh2007
Ten Point

Yeah me too
cmh2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
jer_james
Ten Point

What is about being serious ? Are you serious ?
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
dmack
Pope & Young

I don't even know how to be serious.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
More Liberty
Ten Point

Hunt In: My land

I live pretty close to SHNF but I've got my own deer hunting land. What I want is hogs that I can hunt during the day, the hogs on my property are pressured and only come out at night. Any more info regarding SHNF hog hunting would be awesome. I want to take my son and daughter along. Sitting in a tree stand or blind for hours waiting for a hog to come out isn't too exciting for them at 7 and 9. I figured walking and stalking, as I would be the hunter, would be a good intro.
More Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
dmack
Pope & Young

4952. I think today could be the day
Old 04-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #11
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

In. Should be chasing tree rats up there in a month.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
AJMag
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon View Post
I'm going to try to get out there this year. I've lost 70 lbs. and feel great! If I can manage to save some vacation time, I'd like to connect with some of you guys this year and have some fun. I live in a little subdivision in the SHNF and my property is bordered by NF. I grew up hunting and roaming SHNF and would like to get together with you guys. I have been following on here for the last few years. The deer raid my garden every spring and I want some revenge. I'm really looking forward to meeting up with you guys.
Dave
What you lost I think I gained. I have got to get back in the gym! You should have come to the house a couple weeks ago when we did the bi-annual gtg. Usually do one more just before season starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Liberty View Post
I live pretty close to SHNF but I've got my own deer hunting land. What I want is hogs that I can hunt during the day, the hogs on my property are pressured and only come out at night. Any more info regarding SHNF hog hunting would be awesome. I want to take my son and daughter along. Sitting in a tree stand or blind for hours waiting for a hog to come out isn't too exciting for them at 7 and 9. I figured walking and stalking, as I would be the hunter, would be a good intro.
For the most part, the pigs out there are pretty nocturnal. I don't know how any of these guys get lucky enough to get one out there, but it is by pure luck. Getting out and walking is going to be the only hope. And it can happen, just won't be quick or easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
In. Should be chasing tree rats up there in a month.
I'd be tempted to make a trip with you and try it with the longbow. Probably need to get some bunny buster tips. Some flu flus wouldn't hurt either to slow it down or I may lose all my arrows.
AJMag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
Coon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
Sounds good Dave. Big congrats on the weight loss. What have you been doing? I'm not huge, but I could certainly stand to lose 20-30 lbs. I've tried watching what I eat, but it seems I'm always hungry and just overeat. I've tried skipping a meal, but that just makes me hungry...and I overeat. Seems no matter how much I eat, I stay about the same weight. I just need to stop overeating.

Not sure when I'll be up that way, but I'll message you and we can make a scouting trip together.
I'm using Quick Weight Loss Center. They're pretty expensive, but it works. They sell snacks and supplements, but the diet plan is what's effective. The sad part is "no pork, period" while on the diet. I don't use their supplements and snacks any more, they're too expensive. But the plan has me eating my 3 meals, 3 fruits and 3 snacks a day, and drinking 80 oz of water. I still have 95 lbs to go.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #14
dmack
Pope & Young

Dang. 95pounds! That's like a whole DMACK too lose.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #15
AJMag
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack View Post
Dang. 95pounds! That's like a whole DMACK too lose.
Now you know you're using it in the wrong context. As eddie said last year, he loses 95 lbs every time he takes a dmack.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #16
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMag View Post
Now you know you're using it in the wrong context. As eddie said last year, he loses 95 lbs every time he takes a dmack.

Oops. My mistake. I forgot. Lol
Old 04-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'd be tempted to make a trip with you and try it with the longbow. Probably need to get some bunny buster tips. Some flu flus wouldn't hurt either to slow it down or I may lose all my arrows.
What weight BH do you use?

I made up some simple small game heads that are very effective on rabbits (and should be on squirrel.) They weigh in at 175g, but you could adjust.

For the Flu-Flus - I like to use them if I am shooting up into the air. I use the spiral wrap method. I don't think I have any pics of those on my phone, but will try and post a picture. The max they travel is 40 yards and pack a punch inside 10 yards.

It make sense to carry regular and flu-flu depending if you see them on the ground or up on a limb.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #18
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Old 04-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #19
AJMag
Pope & Young

Quote:
What weight BH do you use?

I made up some simple small game heads that are very effective on rabbits (and should be on squirrel.) They weigh in at 175g, but you could adjust.

For the Flu-Flus - I like to use them if I am shooting up into the air. I use the spiral wrap method. I don't think I have any pics of those on my phone, but will try and post a picture. The max they travel is 40 yards and pack a punch inside 10 yards.

It make sense to carry regular and flu-flu depending if you see them on the ground or up on a limb.
For the longbow, 145 gr. The recurve shoots 175, but no way I could hunt small with that thing, it's just way too fast and heavy hitting.

You going to Vanderpool this weekend?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #20
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
For the longbow, 145 gr. The recurve shoots 175, but no way I could hunt small with that thing, it's just way too fast and heavy hitting.

You going to Vanderpool this weekend?
How heavy we talking? My recurve and longbow are 50 lbs. All the rabbits I hit with those heads out of those bows were fine. Well... dead... but that is fine by me

I will not be at Vanderpool... I opted to go on my first ever Turkey hunt instead
Old 04-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #21
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

The more I think about it... even if you were pulling 80lbs, small game are fine with it. You want all the oomf you can get. A guy on here has plenty of pictures of rabbits that I know he took out with small game heads and an 80lb bow. A heavier hit to the head is better than a light one.

Now... what you might be concerned about with a heavier bow is getting it stuck in a tree trunk... or shooting too far. The flu-flu will handle the "too far" and if you use those heads I showed... they are so cheap that you won't care about unscrewing them and leaving them in the trunk. They cost about $.50 to make.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #22
AJMag
Pope & Young

Quote:
How heavy we talking? My recurve and longbow are 50 lbs. All the rabbits I hit with those heads out of those bows were fine. Well... dead... but that is fine by me

I will not be at Vanderpool... I opted to go on my first ever Turkey hunt instead
Well my recurve is 50 lbs. Roland built it with 2 strips of carbon that make this thing sing. Tod and I keep talking about chronographing it. We just say it's fast. Point being, shooting it horizontal or anything but towards the ground is sure to mean a lost arrow, especially if it ricochets. I'd be interested to see what a flu flu might do to slow it down, but probably still not enough to justify taking it over the longbow. I have a draw hunt close to home I'm thinking about putting in for, which I would probably opt to use the recurve, otherwise I need to take it a couple times this year, just to say I did
Old 04-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #23
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well my recurve is 50 lbs. Roland built it with 2 strips of carbon that make this thing sing. Tod and I keep talking about chronographing it. We just say it's fast. Point being, shooting it horizontal or anything but towards the ground is sure to mean a lost arrow, especially if it ricochets. I'd be interested to see what a flu flu might do to slow it down, but probably still not enough to justify taking it over the longbow. I have a draw hunt close to home I'm thinking about putting in for, which I would probably opt to use the recurve, otherwise I need to take it a couple times this year, just to say I did
The spiral wrap flu flus will make you laugh when you realize you can't hit your 3D target in the side set at 30 yards yet you are point on at 10!

For shooting small game on the ground out to 15 yards... the head makes a difference. Last year I was chasing arrows pretty far with a dull zwickey. This year, the arrow was within 3-4 yards of the missed target 90% of the time.

I'd go with which ever you shoot best first.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #24
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Like you avatar says... "just shoot it!"
Old 04-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #25
huntinfool
Pope & Young

So the BS thread didn't work?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #26
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

So I am new to SHNF. Can anyone tell me where, when and how to hunt? Know any good locations?
Thanks,
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #27
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

Quote:
Here it is! It's time to get scouting and seeing where you're going to hunt this season.

Please do not post up locations.
Know that everything you post here is open to public scrutiny. Ie, you may get called out for no tag, no orange, and you may get a visit from the GW. ( it has happened)

No name calling, keep it serious. If you just want to talk smack, then go to the other thread.
Please don't post up pics of deer not taken from the SHNF.
If you're new and you have a question, please read the SHNF threads or get online and read the rules, almost every question has been answered. Also, we all work for a living, so it may take us a day or two to see your post. Have patience.

Most of all, show some respect.

GO!

Sorry Damian
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #28
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
So the BS thread didn't work?

You were serious?? Lol
Old 04-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #29
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
You were serious?? Lol
It's there. I'll try and post a link.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #30
huntinfool
Pope & Young

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=585293
Old 04-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #31
dmack
Pope & Young

My mistake. I didn't see that one lol. I will post on here when I am not drinking I guess.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #32
AJMag
Pope & Young

Quote:
My mistake. I didn't see that one lol. I will post on here when I am not drinking I guess.
Yeah, get outta here. We trying to have a serious conversation about killing tree rats
Old 04-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #33
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yeah, get outta here. We trying to have a serious conversation about killing tree rats

My bad dog
Old 04-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #34
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
And with bows too!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #35
AJMag
Pope & Young

Quote:
And with bows too!!!
Except you're trying to kill them with nuts.... which is twistedly ironic if you ask me. what giveth life, taketh life away
Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #36
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
And with bows too!!!

I wonder if I could hit a tree rat with a bow. Naaaaaa. I doubt it.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #37
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Except you're trying to kill them with nuts.... which is twistedly ironic if you ask me. what giveth life, taketh life away
DAAAANG!!!! I never thought about that. Here's a nut!!! Oh and wash it down with a couple washers!!!

They are wing nuts. You know what squirrels say about wing nuts? They give you wings
Old 04-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #38
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
DAAAANG!!!! I never thought about that. Here's a nut!!! Oh and wash it down with a couple washers!!!

They are wing nuts. You know what squirrels say about wing nuts? They give you wings

Wow!!
Old 04-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #39
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
I wonder if I could hit a tree rat with a bow. Naaaaaa. I doubt it.
I am embarrassed to say that I have never hit a tree rat with a compound bow. And it wasn't for a lack of trying a half a dozen times.

I have yet to try one without the sights and do-dads. I am mentally prepared that it won't be easy.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #40
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

oh wait... there aren't any washers... I pulled those off when I realized I didn't need them to get to an ideal weight. Anywhoo....
Old 04-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #41
AJMag
Pope & Young

My first official kill with a bow was a squirrel under a feeder at 25 yards. The slick trick unzipped him, it was gruesome
Old 04-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #42
dmack
Pope & Young

Quote:
I am embarrassed to say that I have never hit a tree rat with a compound bow. And it wasn't for a lack of trying a half a dozen times.

I have yet to try one without the sights and do-dads. I am mentally prepared that it won't be easy.

I bet it will be hard. I have seen them jump an arrow coming at the at 295 fps.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #43
AJMag
Pope & Young

was tree rat season all of May????
Old 04-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #44
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
was tree rat season all of May????
Yes sir, all of May.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #45
Coon
Ten Point

Quote:
Yeah, I topped out at 385. My Dr. told me how lucky I was that at 54 years old and 385 lbs., my cholesterol is perfect, blood pressure is great and no heart problems. Then she said I was pushing my luck, so I decided to do something about it.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #46
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Wow. I'm only 220-230 and not that seasoned. I started taking testosterone because I was feeling run down. Since taking that my cholesterol had skyrocketed. So I'm off it now. Hopefully it'll come down too.

Biggest problem is that switch that says I'm full, doesn't switch on until I'm pushing it down the back of my throat I'm so full. That's when it usually kicks on.

If I'd eat a normal portion, I'd probably drop 20-30 lbs quick....I'm just always hungry.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #47
wanderin39
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx, Ok, Wy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
So I am new to SHNF. Can anyone tell me where, when and how to hunt? Know any good locations?
Thanks,
Don't waste your time, no deer in the Sam.

Does anyone know a way to find where the burns will be in the forest? Was out Saturday and there were a couple going then. Would be nice to concentrate scouting elsewhere.
wanderin39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #48
wanderin39
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx, Ok, Wy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon View Post
Yeah, I topped out at 385. My Dr. told me how lucky I was that at 54 years old and 385 lbs., my cholesterol is perfect, blood pressure is great and no heart problems. Then she said I was pushing my luck, so I decided to do something about it.
Proud for you, I need to drop a few myself and same age.
wanderin39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #49
Coon
Ten Point

Quote:
Wow. I'm only 220-230 and not that seasoned. I started taking testosterone because I was feeling run down. Since taking that my cholesterol had skyrocketed. So I'm off it now. Hopefully it'll come down too.

Biggest problem is that switch that says I'm full, doesn't switch on until I'm pushing it down the back of my throat I'm so full. That's when it usually kicks on.

If I'd eat a normal portion, I'd probably drop 20-30 lbs quick....I'm just always hungry.
I was that way, too. I've found that after I eat one normal portion, if I wait 10 to 15 minutes before getting seconds, I'm full. The problem is, I'm a typical southern boy, I love to eat, just because it's good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderin39 View Post
Proud for you, I need to drop a few myself and same age.
Thanks! All of the encouragement I get helps keep me on track!
I'm looking forward to sharing a fire with you guys this year, and maybe helping to trail, or skin one with y'all.
Dave
Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #50
huntinfool
Pope & Young

We'll make it happen. I like to eat too. I try and wait, but that doesn't work. I can eat a late lunch at 4-4:30 and come home at 7 and eat 2 full plates of food. Trust me....that ain't good.