Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #201
rockyraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
12U tournament last weekend.
Here's my boy about to bat.

But that Catcher..
Not your average 12 year old, eh?
What are they feeding that boy?

Attachment 793016
That doesn't surprise me much. We also play 12u select here in Austin and I've seen home huge kids playing in tournaments over the years. Makes you wonder how some of these kids are so big by 12 years old. Who do ya'll play with if you don't mind me asking?
rockyraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #202
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
That catchers dad must be huge....look at the 3rd base coach...might be his son.
3rd base coach is our coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyraider View Post
That doesn't surprise me much. We also play 12u select here in Austin and I've seen home huge kids playing in tournaments over the years. Makes you wonder how some of these kids are so big by 12 years old. Who do ya'll play with if you don't mind me asking?
That catcher was awesome.
He went 3 for 3, all home runs over the fence.
12U diamond plays dangerously small for skilled kids that big.
I'm glad none of our boys got hurt.

My boy plays for the Texas Fire.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #203
chrisk
Ten Point

My daughter plays 14u travel ball. I will be glad when it's over. I watch her when I can but it's expensive and involves crazy schedules. I don't know how my wife finds the pennies and the time.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #204
Kev
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Eastland

I have no idea who any of the younger teams are for Ropes. At 8U, I would put more focus on finding a great set of parents/kids who are all on the same page and hopefully a good dad/coach that works on teaching the fundamentals.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #205
Kev
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Eastland

Yes, after I said that I realized what a stupid comment that was.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #206
tonyt79
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

My boy had his first walk off home run here is a video.
https://youtu.be/VtKJUrSck50

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #207
MikeConner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Motley County

My oldest grandson who is 15 now and playing on a 16u team has played select ball since he was 8. He's a southpaw and pitches and plays center field.
I know that select ball has it's critics but he's had good coaches and has progressed to the point that he lettered in varsity ball as a freshman this year and made the UIL first team all district.
Played their last showcase tournament for the summer league this past weekend so he'll have a few weeks without games until the fall season starts.
They are just going to play a Sunday double header league this fall since most of them will be playing varsity football on Fridays and need Saturdays to rest and heal.
MikeConner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #208
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt79 View Post
My boy had his first walk off home run here is a video.
https://youtu.be/VtKJUrSck50

Beautiful stroke and congrats! How old is your boy?
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #209
tonyt79
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
He is 11

Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #210
jer_james
Ten Point

That's awesome - Congrats to the little guy.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #211
jrfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan co.

Quote:
X2^^ that was a great stroke. It was also nice to see the boys from the opposing team high fiving him as he rounded the bases. Great sportsmanship right there.
jrfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #212
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Who all is gearing up for another season? I've got one in 9u, Dallas Tigers-Miller, and one in 7u, NTX Generals Elite, this year, we should be all over dfw pretty much every weekend this spring and summer...anyone else 9u or 7u?
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #213
akstigo01
Six Point

We have practices starting quickly and will be playing in Austin, Waco and may hit a tournament in San Antonio, Houston, or the Metroplex.
akstigo01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #214
bjg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country, Coastal Plains, Piney Woods

my $.02 having coached for ten years and having my oldest playing at the college level now.

A few things I learned:
1. Limit the games to spring. Start in February and end in June. If you play a ten tournament schedule and suck, you will play at least 30 games. If you are good, that could easily play 50+. Add in a 16 game schedule for the guy who insists that his kid is going to play league ball as well and that is 46 to 66+ games a season. Most college schedules are about 50-60 games.

2. Parents will be parents. Set the ground rules before you start. If lil Johnny isn't producing on the field, he won't be on the field. Explain that to the kids. Establish some standards by which the kids will be evaluated and let the kids know what they are (fielding, hitting, baserunning, pitching, etc.........). Example: Its easy to talk to lil Johnny about the fact that while he is fielding and hitting well, the fact that he got picked off 3 times in a weekend means he need to focus on his baserunning.

3. Spend more time working with the less talented kids. Focus on bringing the bottom up.

4. Until they reach puberty, don't let them throw anything that will torque their elbow. (Hard to do as every 12 yr old wants to throw a curveball) Use your pitchers sparingly. What's important at young ages is learning to hit their spots, what pitches produce what hits (low in the zone = ground balls, high in the zone = fly balls, etc......), slide steps with runners on, essentially get the kid some experience on the bump. The goal is to have the kid shine at 16, 17, 18 yrs old at a high school level so he can get some looks from a recruiter rather than be a 12-14 yr old ace.

abuse of the above are what I think is hurting too many of our young players in the select leagues.
bjg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #215
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjg View Post
my $.02 having coached for ten years and having my oldest playing at the college level now.

A few things I learned:
1. Limit the games to spring. Start in February and end in June. If you play a ten tournament schedule and suck, you will play at least 30 games. If you are good, that could easily play 50+. Add in a 16 game schedule for the guy who insists that his kid is going to play league ball as well and that is 46 to 66+ games a season. Most college schedules are about 50-60 games.

2. Parents will be parents. Set the ground rules before you start. If lil Johnny isn't producing on the field, he won't be on the field. Explain that to the kids. Establish some standards by which the kids will be evaluated and let the kids know what they are (fielding, hitting, baserunning, pitching, etc.........). Example: Its easy to talk to lil Johnny about the fact that while he is fielding and hitting well, the fact that he got picked off 3 times in a weekend means he need to focus on his baserunning.

3. Spend more time working with the less talented kids. Focus on bringing the bottom up.

4. Until they reach puberty, don't let them throw anything that will torque their elbow. (Hard to do as every 12 yr old wants to throw a curveball) Use your pitchers sparingly. What's important at young ages is learning to hit their spots, what pitches produce what hits (low in the zone = ground balls, high in the zone = fly balls, etc......), slide steps with runners on, essentially get the kid some experience on the bump. The goal is to have the kid shine at 16, 17, 18 yrs old at a high school level so he can get some looks from a recruiter rather than be a 12-14 yr old ace.

abuse of the above are what I think is hurting too many of our young players in the select leagues.
AMEN!!!!

Well said....too bad parents want them to win the SO AND SO World Series Championship when they are 8-12 years old.

I have begun giving lessons to a few kids in my neighborhood but refuse to get into Select coaching or tournament ball for this reason
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #216
CFBASEBALL09
Six Point

Hunt In: McCullough County, Tx and East Texas, Freer, Arkansas

if any of yall ever play out at Premier Baseball @99 and Cypress Rosehill let me know. I have been coaching out there for a couple years now.
CFBASEBALL09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #217
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFBASEBALL09 View Post
if any of yall ever play out at Premier Baseball @99 and Cypress Rosehill let me know. I have been coaching out there for a couple years now.
That's a nice place! What age group do you coach? My boy plays 11u and we were considering letting him try out at premier, but went another route secondary to dates of tryouts.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #218
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #219
Full Throttle
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

Have a 20 year old, 16 year old and 12 year old that play and I coach. Yea, spring is a lil crazy round here...
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #220
tonyt79
Ten Point

I can't wait for it to start, hate the first month or so when it's old though

Old 01-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #221
CFBASEBALL09
Six Point

Hunt In: McCullough County, Tx and East Texas, Freer, Arkansas

Quote:
That's a nice place! What age group do you coach? My boy plays 11u and we were considering letting him try out at premier, but went another route secondary to dates of tryouts.
This season I will be coaching a 13U team.
CFBASEBALL09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #222
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

My son is about turn 11. Has played select ball since he was 7 (spring, summer, fall). He's burnt out. I saw he had potential and i burned him out. I took the fun out of it....made him practice way too much...and I regret that. He didn't want to play this past fall, and doesn't want to play this spring. It's tough on me, especially being a high school baseball coach. Hopefully he will pick it up again later.

He decided he wanted to shoot shotguns competitively so we're going that route. So far he loves it and is having fun with it. I've learned not to push. He's still a kid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #223
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Sitting here at a private hitting lesson for my son, just finished Matheny's book and I will be changing my approach to being a baseball parent.
I'm not a coach and outside of playing catch, throwing/hitting ground balls, and pitching in the cage I'm going to rely on the expertise of these kid whisperer coaches that he responds better to.
I also will curb my cheering and calls of encouragement and reminders while my kid in on the field...as well I will stop being the dugout dad constantly giving advice.
He already knows what to do and who he's supposed to be listening to...doesn't need dad to be in his ear.
Doesn't want dad in his ear.
That's my promise for 2017.
Let him enjoy the game.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #224
dosrobles
Spike

Hunt In: Bertram

As with anything, there are pros and cons with select sports. A lot of these clubs have kids playing well out of fear of their big fat coach yelling. I would much rather see a coach let kids learn the game by making mistakes. Be hard on them at practice, but let game time be for them. I played and coached for years. Have a son playing 18U ball now. If you find the right fit, it is a great experience.

Coaches are cheaper then couches (kids busy with sports are better off then kids on a counselor's/rehab couch)
dosrobles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #225
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Sitting here at a private hitting lesson for my son, just finished Matheny's book and I will be changing my approach to being a baseball parent.
I'm not a coach and outside of playing catch, throwing/hitting ground balls, and pitching in the cage I'm going to rely on the expertise of these kid whisperer coaches that he responds better to.
I also will curb my cheering and calls of encouragement and reminders while my kid in on the field...as well I will stop being the dugout dad constantly giving advice.
He already knows what to do and who he's supposed to be listening to...doesn't need dad to be in his ear.
Let him enjoy the game.
I've taken this approach with my younger son but sadly it took 2 years of doing all that to my older son for me to realize it. Luckily he still loves the game as much as ever.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #226
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Let him enjoy the game.
Great book
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #227
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Well I have my team set for another spring season. Got a great group of boys and even better parents. Can't wait for the spring season. We start batting practices this week.
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #228
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

We started tonight got to get the boys in shape with a little strength and conditioning and then start working on fundamentals in a couple weeks. Good Luck to you guys playing this year.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #229
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
We started tonight got to get the boys in shape with a little strength and conditioning and then start working on fundamentals in a couple weeks. Good Luck to you guys playing this year.
That's great and good luck to you guys! Glad you had enough interest to get a team together for the spring. My 11 year olds starts practice this Saturday and says he's ready to go. We shall see. LOL
Old 01-17-2017, 05:17 AM   #230
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ DUPLECHAIN View Post
My son is about turn 11. Has played select ball since he was 7 (spring, summer, fall). He's burnt out. I saw he had potential and i burned him out. I took the fun out of it....made him practice way too much...and I regret that. He didn't want to play this past fall, and doesn't want to play this spring. It's tough on me, especially being a high school baseball coach. Hopefully he will pick it up again later.

He decided he wanted to shoot shotguns competitively so we're going that route. So far he loves it and is having fun with it. I've learned not to push. He's still a kid.

Ive seen this so many times....... Hard to look forward to the Christmas tree when you never take it down.
My son has played select and I could see the excitement/ fun draining away so we stopped. Spring ball only now. I can see the fire back in his eyes. This will be his 6th year playing (he's 10). We have had several coaches call us wanting him to join their teams...... I want him to have fun worse than I want to win.

Whatever brand the kids play it should be more fun than work at this age.

Can't wait for the spring season to start !!!!
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #231
westguy76
Ten Point

Hunt In: central TX

My son just turned 9 and we are gearing up for league ball, workouts etc. I have been an assistant coach on his teams for several years. We have not played select as of yet but have been asked to tryout. We have a solid group of kids in our local little league at that level with a good core of 5 or so kids on each team that push each other, but of course we lose talent every year. We just keep trying to coach them up. in the fall he has played baseball too but also enjoys flag football and winter basketball. If the right type of team comes up, with the right mix of coaching, and he needs the level of competition increase we will consider it. I understand the daddy ball stuff we have all seen it, we make an effort to push the kids that can SAFELY play in the infield to do it and get them innings there when we can. and we encourage ALL the kids to try and pitch. Just like in school work though some parents do not take the time to nurture and encourage practicing skills at home and that makes a big difference.
westguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #232
rockyraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out West

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ DUPLECHAIN View Post

"Sitting here at a private hitting lesson for my son, just finished Matheny's book and I will be changing my approach to being a baseball parent.
Let him enjoy the game."
Lots of truth in these two posts, all baseball parents would be well served to read and heed all of the advice given in Mike Matheny's book. My son plays 13u select, I've been involved in the coaching aspect of it and now I've backed off and allow the paid coaches to handle things. Overall its been a great experience. While coaching, we had great parents for the most parts. Now that my son plays for a larger organization, I'm starting to see some of the gypsy-style overzealous parents who club hop on an annual basis hoping to push little Johnny to become the next 12yo MLB all star. This fall we had an outstanding team, albeit a brand new group of players who were mostly brand new to the club we are with, but they played very well in the majors division and success moving forward was very easy to see. Unfortunately, a small group of the players parents made the entire fall a drama fest b/c they were obsessed with 12yo little Johnny's every move and gave the coach and other club directors a hard time. I loved the kids and hoped they would stay together, but the parents pretty much ruined that, to the point that one of the club directors almost canceled our last tournament due to non stop drama that he was having to deal with from a select group of our team's parents. Baseball isn't what it was when I was growing up playing, in a lot of ways its morphed into an ugly creature. I try to still make it a great experience for my son, we have a ton of fun with it and he is crazy about playing so I guess that's all that counts. I have to force time away from playing during Dec./Jan. and honestly I'm not even real thrilled about him playing fall ball. 9 months of baseball a year is too much IMO but we've created this mess and turned it into what it is.
rockyraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #233
JVasquez
Eight Point

My son completed the NPA week long class at Doxco Pitching academy last September. I highly recommend it for any young pitcher. Coach Doxakis son is a freshman pitcher at ATM and was taught by his dad. Kevin Bierne also teaches the program in the Woodlands.
JVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2017, 06:30 AM   #234
westguy76
Ten Point

Hunt In: central TX

It's been mentioned so just going to put this here.

http://mikematheny.com/sites/default...yManifesto.pdf
westguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #235
DKirk
Ten Point

My son is 8 about to be 9 and we have avoided select so far, it's tough though because he knows that some of his friends are playing ball and wants to know why he's not. I've considered starting a team and only playing Feb-June/July because a lot of the best ball players aren't playing select due to other sports and just not wanting to play year round.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2017, 06:46 AM   #236
systemnt
Pope & Young

We went select this year, after carefully picking the team (even after trying out)..
We actually went through the little league tryouts and were fully registered to do that but got calls, and figured we'd entertain the idea.
We asked a lot of questions and did not want a team that was looking for position players at 7u.
Wanted a team that was looking to grow together without heavy emphasis on winning out of the box but rather on learning, getting better, and building character through activities off the field.
Think we found and chose/got chosen by the right one.
Great first practice, boy didn't want it to end.
Looking forward to the future.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #237
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Quote:
We went select this year, after carefully picking the team (even after trying out)..
We actually went through the little league tryouts and were fully registered to do that but got calls, and figured we'd entertain the idea.
We asked a lot of questions and did not want a team that was looking for position players at 7u.
Wanted a team that was looking to grow together without heavy emphasis on winning out of the box but rather on learning, getting better, and building character through activities off the field.
What team did you end up playing with?
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #238
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Nice, hope the coaches stick to it and it works out.

We start practicing this Tuesday, looking forward to it...
Old 01-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #239
chris1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion

started practice a couple weeks ago....have practice today...first tourney in dallas for the Mavs tournament....11uAAA
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #240
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
What team did you end up playing with?
Drillers out of montgomery
Old 01-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #241
huntingjunkie
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX & OK

It's go time! There are two seasons in our household...baseball season and hunting season. High school season is now officially underway. Boys start the season with a top 10 preseason rank in 6A so now it's time to play up to it. My youngest (14u) starts his season next Sat and they'll have a target on their back all year with Perfect Game having them ranked the best in the country. Should be an exciting season. Play ball! Go Pokes!

And as mentioned above....Mike Matheny's email to parents is one every baseball parent should read.
huntingjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #242
tonyt79
Ten Point

Only 2 weeks till our first tournament

Old 02-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #243
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt79 View Post
Only 2 weeks till our first tournament

same here, the triple crown season opener, looks like we will be in grapevine.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #244
systemnt
Pope & Young

our first tourney is first week of march...
Old 02-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #245
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Dynasty Baseball - Walker. We will be a 12U but may do some 13U tourneys for fun. Just going to play fun ball this year. Hope to see you guys around the DFW area.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #246
BigLig
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger, Halletsville, Cohutta Wilderness Georgia

My son is 8U playing in Round Rock. Honestly at that age I'd rather teach him the fundamentals the best I can (I coached select, did private lessons, and played some pro ball) and let him have fun. If wants to make the jump to select when he's a bit older I'll support that as long as it's his choice.
BigLig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #247
jer_james
Ten Point

Good luck to yall - Son tried out and made a 10u team for the first time, but decided he would rather play flag football with his friends.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #248
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

My son plays in Beaumont this weekend. The Baron's out of Baytown.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #249
raider19
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Good programs never have coaches with kids on the teams. I would not have my kid on a team with a parent coaching. We have 3 coaches that all have day jobs and their xtra job is coaching baseball

Not true at all
raider19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #250
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider19 View Post
Not true at all
agree, at least in the ages i am familiar with. it may be true at older ages but i know a couple 8-10u teams around here with dad coaches that keep the same roster every year and are very competitive.