Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #101
trhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
The biggest problem I see with select ball is the parents period. The ones that think their kid is better than what he is stir the pot big time every year. Most of the time it's over playing time or certain position on the field or why he can't pitch on certain games " Championship" most of the time. These are also the one that put no effort in getting lessons or putting in the extra work but they think it should just be handed to them like most these days b/c it's only fair. I also think it's funny how people always start the Daddy ball stuff when their kid does not get the shot they think he deserves so the only thing they can justify is saying a coach is playing Daddy ball. Try getting your player the extra work putting in the effort talking to the coach about helping when available instead of stirring the pot. Yes there are some that play Daddy ball, but I can assure you there are a ton of coaches including myself that don't. I think a lot of parents would be better off to just let their kids play baseball and let the coaches handle it. If you don't like something address it in private and if that does not work leave pretty simple.
Yep it is the Parents 99.9% of the time, the kids are happy just playing the game, but the parents ruin it.

My son played for Dynasty a few years, there are some good folks over there. Heath, Jason and MR. Gary are some good people.
trhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2016, 03:44 PM   #102
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhunter View Post
Yep it is the Parents 99.9% of the time, the kids are happy just playing the game, but the parents ruin it.

My son played for Dynasty a few years, there are some good folks over there. Heath, Jason and MR. Gary are some good people.
Yep. My son gets hitting lesson from Heath been going to him for 4 years and still going. The others are good people and good to be around. My son still has a few years left, but I giving the coaching up my son needs to be coached by someone other than me it's just time.
Grant2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2016, 03:50 PM   #103
trhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Yep. My son gets hitting lesson from Heath been going to him for 4 years and still going. The others are good people and good to be around. My son still has a few years left, but I giving the coaching up my son needs to be coached by someone other than me it's just time.
I agree, when we left TE and moved over to Dynasty that is when I gave it up, Lane was 12 at the time and it was nice just being a Dad and getting to enjoy watching my son play. No stress, just get my chair have a seat and enjoy the game. We played for Heath some and took some lessons from him, but Lane enjoyed Playing with AY (think it was the kids) more so we mover over to AY's team (still with Dynasty). Those were some good years.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:16 PM   #104
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

AY has moved over to the Madden Zone and is coaching with the Banditos now. I always liked AY good coach. Andy Yount is still with Dynasty very good coach as well.
Grant2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2016, 06:23 AM   #105
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Quote:
I said this because I was one of those dads (when my son first started select) that if you played select then you had to win every game (put the best product on the field). As the years went by and you could see kids not loving the game (including mine) and not wanting to work hard at it anymore, my thinking started to change. Are those trophies and rings really worth it, no they are not, having fun while learning the game is way more important. If you win then that is the cherry on top. Select is not for everyone, I am a big fan of select if it is done correctly. Get with a good coach that has fun and teaches the game right, but most importantly (I cannot stress this enough) get with a great group of parents that enjoy the game and have fun. Parents are the reason the game is ruined for the kids. If you find good Parents then 99% of the time the kids will be good kids also. I would not trade the days my son played select for anything, we met some awesome friends and traveled all over playing a great game of baseball. If my son follows thru with not playing college ball then he and my family will have some of the best memories from him growing up that you could ask for. It was never about scholarships or pro ball it was about memories and being competitive. Baseball can teach a kid so much about life and those are great lessons.
I pretty much still agree with you. Not sure where yall play, but my son plays for cy fair in league ball and its plenty competitive for him (and lots of fun).
I have fun coaching and we take it serious enough for 9 yr olds.
I have seen kids burn out on 20, 40, 60 games and yr at 8/9/10 yrs old, ive seen parents lose their minds over it and Ive seen kids that really enjoy it.
So ya, its not for everyone. Im always a little sad to see the season end, but with the invites he gets to play a few extra games and I have fun watching.
Again, good luck all.
We are 2 and 0 so far this season !
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #106
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd7HUlTO690

I've heard my beautiful wife say a couple of these.

Last edited by Clark; 04-01-2016 at 07:02 AM..
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #107
bow4my2
Pope & Young

Thumbs up

Quote:
Any of you guys have a kid playing select baseball or softball? I have been coaching select ball for 3 years now and love every minute of it watching these kids grow and develop is unreal. I coach a 10u team here in Kingwood and hope to do it for many years to come. I have been playing and coaching for 30+ yrs and still love the game today as I did when I started playing. Hope to see some of you guys at some tournament this year we play at the Scrapyard,Baseball USA,Rothwood,Katy and a few other parks here in the Houston area. Good luck to you guys this year.
Grant, good luck to yours playing this yr and hope they enjoy the game as much as you do at this age. Truly the point
bow4my2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #108
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Yes we do. Tell Brendon Veit Coach Tommy said good luck. And good luck to Colton.
Will do! From what I know about him, he seems like a great kid and player!
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #109
trhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas8point View Post
I pretty much still agree with you. Not sure where yall play, but my son plays for cy fair in league ball and its plenty competitive for him (and lots of fun).
I have fun coaching and we take it serious enough for 9 yr olds.
I have seen kids burn out on 20, 40, 60 games and yr at 8/9/10 yrs old, ive seen parents lose their minds over it and Ive seen kids that really enjoy it.
So ya, its not for everyone. Im always a little sad to see the season end, but with the invites he gets to play a few extra games and I have fun watching.
Again, good luck all.
We are 2 and 0 so far this season !
My son is a Jr. in High School now and doesn't play select ball anymore. His days of Showcase are over with also. I just enjoy watching him play and enjoy the game. My son only played for two teams when he was in select, TE out of the Woodlands and Dynasty out of Kingwood. He played select from 7 thru 14. Those were some good years.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #110
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco / Ira

We (Wilson Sporting Goods ) are looking to partner with Select Organizations. We have team packages that include our brands Wilson, Louisville Slugger, DeMarini, and ATEC. We are mainly looking for organizations that have 10+ teams, but we are always willing to work especially when it comes to the uniform side of the business. We have some awesome stuff coming down the pipe. If your organization is interested send me an email at heath.stanford at Wilson.com and we can get you fixed up.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #111
Johnny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd7HUlTO690

I've heard my beautiful wife say a couple of these.
lol!!! I had to share that one.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #112
rockyraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out West

There has been some great advice given here, especially from those who have kids who have played it all, from league to professional baseball. We're in the early stages of my son's baseball experience (12yo) so I've formed some of my own opinions on the matter. Yes he plays select baseball now, but we try to keep things in check. We played league baseball through 10u, but it was time to move on as there is a mass migration out of league and into select style baseball these days. That's pretty unfortunate IMHO, there are a lot of kids out there that would be well served to play competitive league style baseball until 13 or 14, sadly it just isn't really an option much any more.

I won't really go into my personal feelings, but I think those that said the truly outstanding players will always emerge, no matter the path that they take, are right on the money. There are so many variables involved that believing that you are putting your kid on the path to D1 college baseball and beyond by getting them into select baseball at a young age is a misguided decision. I know quiet a few guys who played D1 college baseball, and some that have played at the minor and major league levels from my hometown. Its definately a tough road to be successful beyond high school.

There are a few things that I try to keep in mind:

1. Let them have fun.

2. Don't set some arbitrary expectation for them that you desire, let them find their own way.

3. If its in the cards, it'll happen. If it doesn't, the memories that are being made and the life experiences gained are priceless for everyone involved.

4. There is life beyond baseball. We try to hunt, fish, take the boat to the lake, etc.... A well rounded kid will be a better athlete and even better adult.

5. Cherish the time you have with them while they are young, they grow up very fast. Make youth sports a memorable, enjoyable experience. If you make it all consuming, they will burn out and regret the stress and emotional upset that they experienced along the way.

6. Playing and coaching baseball has become a way of life for our family. Its busy, hectic, fast paced, and there never seems to be any down time. With that being said, we love it, are having a blast, and have formed many great friendships from our years of being involved with league and select baseball. I've been involved with a bunch of kids from the time they were 6 years old and now they are in middle school. I've truly enjoyed watching them grow up and remain buddies to this day. We look forward to the weekends that we play for all of these reasons. I feel very fortunate to be able to give my time to young, aspiring players, and my biggest goal is to have a positive influence on them as they grow into young men. That's what its all about for me. If they turn out to be successful baseball players at some level, that's just icing on the cake.

Last edited by rockyraider; 04-01-2016 at 11:25 AM..
rockyraider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #113
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

My 7yr old hit his first triple with a RBI last night.
Made good at bats (3 RBI's) , good stops at short and outfield.. great throws.. and earned the game ball - in league ball.
Our coach has kids on banditos and is a kid whisperer.. taught tanner a bunch since beginning of the year and tanners enthusiasm for the game is all time high.
If his talent permits, we will try the select - when if that time comes..if anything just to put him where he continuously is forced to learn and get better.
For now, the fundamentals, team work, and game play , he's getting from league.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #114
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Made good at bats (3 RBI's) , good stops at short and outfield.. great throws.. and earned the game ball - in league ball.
Our coach has kids on banditos and is a kid whisperer.. taught tanner a bunch since beginning of the year and tanners enthusiasm for the game is all time high.
If his talent permits, we will try the select - when if that time comes..if anything just to put him where he continuously is forced to learn and get better.
Awesome to hear ... Good luck going forward

Enjoy hearing the success of the little guys.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #115
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Thats great . There's nothing better then seeing your kids succeed.

We have a pretty big tournament this weekend with several teams coming up from Houston and Austin, hoping to keep rolling from our last game last Saturday night. We lost 7-5 to the best team around here but our boys played great, the LCF on the other team literally made two of the best diving catches I've ever seen at any age, he was awesome.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #116
chris1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion

anyone playing next weekend in natchitoches? we moved up to AAA this week and are in the 10U open....
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #117
jlinville
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co.

Congrats to Extreme Baseball for winning the 13u Batter's Box Bash at the Scrap Yard. My coworker's son plays for them and the coach is my 7yo's hitting instructor.
jlinville is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #118
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
We (Wilson Sporting Goods ) are looking to partner with Select Organizations. We have team packages that include our brands Wilson, Louisville Slugger, DeMarini, and ATEC. We are mainly looking for organizations that have 10+ teams, but we are always willing to work especially when it comes to the uniform side of the business. We have some awesome stuff coming down the pipe. If your organization is interested send me an email at heath.stanford at Wilson.com and we can get you fixed up.
Hey Heath, I might get with you, we are currently with New Balance for our apparel but might want to get with you about gloves and what have you. Our show case team currently has 6 D1 signees from the Houston area on our team and is well known in the Premier league. I might get you with our head coach, he would like to hear what you have to offer if your interested.

David
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #119
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Kids 13u team won last night. Long weekend. 4th seed and won it all. Salty team that plays good small ball. Only have up 9 runs in 6 games. Have next 2 weekends off so headed to coast to fish
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #120
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Kids 13u team won last night. Long weekend. 4th seed and won it all. Salty team that plays good small ball. Only have up 9 runs in 6 games. Have next 2 weekends off so headed to coast to fish
Thats awesome ... Congratulations.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #121
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
congrats man we lost in the quarters yesterday to the team that ended up winning the tournament, spitfire elite. they beat us 8-4 and had (4) 2run homeruns, over the fence, and they weren't even close to the fence, it was ridiculous.

looks like my son will be playing up in a 9u tournament this weekend too, luckily its just across the lake in Rowlett.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #122
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

We have our first tournament this weekend the North Texas Spring Classic. We had a double header yesterday and lost the first game 12-4 and won the second 21-7. I was proud of the way the boys played all afternoon yesterday. They bounced back from the lose and played well balanced baseball in the second game. Looking forward to the first tournament with this new team.
aggie2000tx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #123
NSpannTX
Four Point

Hunt In: Muldoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinville View Post
Congrats to Extreme Baseball for winning the 13u Batter's Box Bash at the Scrap Yard. My coworker's son plays for them and the coach is my 7yo's hitting instructor.

Congrats Extreme for winning the Gold bracket of the tournament. My sons team won the silver bracket of the same 13u tournament, Batter Box Naturals out of Brenham.
NSpannTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #124
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

That moment when it's the last inning, youre the last at bat, youre losing 8-7, you have a full count, and a runner on base... and you crank a home run.
That's right...game ball time.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1459912570650.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  34.1 KB
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #125
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Texas Xtreme-Potts 11U Major won 12u tourney this past weekend in Greenville and my little guy hit a 2 run bomb and kid behind him hit a solo and we won 3-2. It
Was awsome
elliscountyhog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #126
Johnny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes we do. Tell Brendon Veit Coach Tommy said good luck. And good luck to Colton.
I talked to Brendon's parents for awhile during the start of the game against College Park yesterday evening. The wanted me to tell you hello and they talked about some good times they had playing with y'all back in the day....Gulf Shores being one of them. They seem like great people.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #127
Nome
Spike

Hunt In: Liberty Co. Limestone Co.

My 7 year old plays both 7u select and pony league ball and we love every minute of it. Schedules do get crazy sometimes.
Nome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #128
jshouse
Ten Point

My son was asked to play with a 9u team in a 10u tournament this weekend, he's never played kid pitch before and never really even hit off of a kid so I was nervous.

Watched 6 pitches for a walk in his first at bat then hit a line drive to center his next time up. I could tell he was nervous but it was a cool thing to watch and I threw my phone up at the last second and got it recorded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
Old 04-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #129
Full Throttle
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
Texas Xtreme-Potts 11U Major won 12u tourney this past weekend in Greenville and my little guy hit a 2 run bomb and kid behind him hit a solo and we won 3-2. It
Was awsome

Looks like we play y'all on Saturday. My son plays with the 11u Desperados. I'm an assistant coach and will be coaching first. What number is your son and I'll be looking for him? Looking forward to playing y'all.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #130
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
Looks like we play y'all on Saturday. My son plays with the 11u Desperados. I'm an assistant coach and will be coaching first. What number is your son and I'll be looking for him? Looking forward to playing y'all.
All right, a little TBH competition.
Good luck to you both.

Here's my knuckleheads.
Name:  Daniel boys.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  82.2 KB
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #131
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
Was awsome
Luke is in the 10U open (rattlers - Glaser) but we play in the afternoon Saturday. Looks like you play early.

Maybe we'll see you out there on Sunday if the rain holds off.
ShockValue is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #132
jer_james
Ten Point

Good luck fellas. Enjoy reading how good the little guys are doing.

We have a city league game at 945 this Saturday. Undefeated on the season, and little man has given up 2 hits in 5 games pitched with 36 k's.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #133
jshouse
Ten Point

that's awesome man, I think its good that he is getting a head start on kid pitch.

we have a tournament in north richland hills this weekend, if the rain holds off. if anyone has a 7-8yo and wants to see what a good team looks like, the best 8u team ive seen over the last 12-18 months is playing in it too, Texas Edge-Strait, its a team full of ballers. we've played them 4 times since last summer and watched them a few more, and they never fail to impress.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #134
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
that's awesome man, I think its good that he is getting a head start on kid pitch.

we have a tournament in north richland hills this weekend, if the rain holds off. if anyone has a 7-8yo and wants to see what a good team looks like, the best 8u team ive seen over the last 12-18 months is playing in it too, Texas Edge-Strait, its a team full of ballers. we've played them 4 times since last summer and watched them a few more, and they never fail to impress.
I'm definitely rethinking the whole kid pitch game as he hits when he gets a pitcher who can throw strikes, but that is not the norm. Majority of the time he is watching pitches sail by nowhere near a strike.

Is it just for Saturday or is it Sunday as well?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #135
jshouse
Ten Point

it will be Saturday and Sunday if the rain holds off.

the Edge play at 230 and 4 on Saturday...

http://www.nations-baseball.com/game...e/11606/118953

the 10u teams we played last weekend pitched pretty well I thought, but I know it would be different if one of our 8u kids had to pitch. even at the 10u level there were plenty of wild pitches though, a good catcher can be a game changer.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #136
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
it will be Saturday and Sunday if the rain holds off.

the Edge play at 230 and 4 on Saturday...

http://www.nations-baseball.com/game...e/11606/118953

the 10u teams we played last weekend pitched pretty well I thought, but I know it would be different if one of our 8u kids had to pitch. even at the 10u level there were plenty of wild pitches though, a good catcher can be a game changer.
Luckily our league doesn't do the drop 3, and can only steal to 3rd.

That Catcher is still huge for us.

You think the little guy will get more kid pitch action going?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #137
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

There seems to be a trend in other sports where high school athletes with next level potential are skipping high school ball to play club ball for what they consider higher profile club teams with better exposure and resources. This has been going on in Soccer, volllyball, tennis and other sports for years. It's a trend that seems to be spreading into baseball, starting with pitchers who want to avoid the wear and tear of carrying a highschool team for 3 or 4 seasons that won't impact that pitcher's future prospect in any positive way. Anyone else seeing this trend grow?
TXJIM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #138
gofish24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas

8U select here and playiing in plano this weekend.

As jshouse said the edge is an amazing team to watch. i have a buddy who coaches a local select team that they have gotten several players from. I dont like that part of it, but understand thats how it works.
gofish24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #139
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Luckily our league doesn't do the drop 3, and can only steal to 3rd.

That Catcher is still huge for us.

You think the little guy will get more kid pitch action going?
I like those rules. and I was surprised at the inability of the catchers we saw to throw the ball, didn't see one in 4 games that could throw it to 2nd on a line.

yeah, I know the coach of the 9u team we played with last weekend and he has a couple of injured players right now so I think we may be helping them out some more around our 8u schedule. and I assume our 8u coach will start entering some 9u tournaments in the next couple of months to get our feet wet.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #140
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofish24 View Post
8U select here and playiing in plano this weekend.

As jshouse said the edge is an amazing team to watch. i have a buddy who coaches a local select team that they have gotten several players from. I dont like that part of it, but understand thats how it works.
it sounds funny heaping praise like that on a 8u team but its deserved lol, they never have a blow up inning on defense and every kid hits the ball hard. I don't know what the secret is but those coaches have those boys locked in every game.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #141
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
it sounds funny heaping praise like that on a 8u team but its deserved lol, they never have a blow up inning on defense and every kid hits the ball hard. I don't know what the secret is but those coaches have those boys locked in every game.
Are they juicing ? lol
Old 04-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #142
ArcheryAddict
Ten Point

Hunt In: La Pryor

Select Ball is a VERY EXPENSIVE deal, depending on what you actually attend.

Our son has done it since he was 9. Turns 16 this July. He is in HS Baseball right now, then a Summer Showcase Team that plays a few Perfect Game events and also Texas College Showcases where there are actually college scouts attending, then also plays for Team Maxbat (wood bat manufacturer up around IL somewhere) on their national team.

So when school is out, we will go to around 5 TX Colleges, the Perfect Game in GA, and then Maxbat events as follows: Oct-IL (May skip this one), Thanksgiving Weekend in Vegas, Dec-one event in Houston and one in Scottsdale, AZ, Jan-New Mexico.

And none of this counts invitation only events he gets offers from or any of the private lessons.

Between baseball, dog boarding, travel expenses, and of course hunting, it costs a fortune. BUT, if it gets him a scholarship, it will still save us more than we are spending on this stuff.

Don't take this the wrong way, he is not the next Derek Jeter or whatever, but he can hold his own and then some. Like all athletes, there are still things he needs to work on to continue to improve.

We jokingly call him our 401K plan.

Overall it is expensive for what we specifically are doing, but he loves it and so far we can swing it. So until something happens to where he does not want to pursue any longer (which I would probably have mixed emotions about) we will continue.

You just have to be careful with what you allow your sons (or daughters) to attend. Some are just money grabs. The ones we attend are the ones we can verify that there are going to be college scouts in attendance.

Best of luck to all of your kids and their chosen sport(s).
ArcheryAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #143
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Are they juicing ? lol
man, that spitfire team we played a few weeks ago may have been lol, they hit 4 over the fence on us and from what I heard didn't hit less than 3 in any game that weekend. their roster had a kid that played 9u majors and 10uAAA, another 9u majors player and several others on 9uAAA teams. that organization has tons of teams and is known for its, uh, recruiting

the edge didn't play that weekend but it would've been fun to watch.

Last edited by jshouse; 04-14-2016 at 11:13 AM..
Old 04-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #144
jshouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJIM View Post
There seems to be a trend in other sports where high school athletes with next level potential are skipping high school ball to play club ball for what they consider higher profile club teams with better exposure and resources. This has been going on in Soccer, volllyball, tennis and other sports for years. It's a trend that seems to be spreading into baseball, starting with pitchers who want to avoid the wear and tear of carrying a highschool team for 3 or 4 seasons that won't impact that pitcher's future prospect in any positive way. Anyone else seeing this trend grow?
Ive just started following our HS team the last few years so I am not sure what all the boys do during the off season, id hate to see that happen though.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #145
ArcheryAddict
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJIM View Post

Yes sir. I just read something about it on some sports page last week with football. There were examples of kids leaving TEXAS (WTHeck) to go play for some team in Florida. I mean FL? They don't know anything about Friday Night Lights.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #146
STONE
Four Point

Hunt In: Lindale, TX

ArcheryAddict you must be referring to the IMG Academy, google it and check it out.. It's crazy.
STONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #147
gofish24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas

Quote:
man, that spitfire team we played a few weeks ago may have been lol, they hit 4 over the fence on us and from what I heard didn't hit less than 3 in any game that weekend. their roster had a kid that played 9u majors and 10uAAA, another 9u majors player and several others on 9uAAA teams. that organization has tons of teams and is known for its, uh, recruiting

the edge didn't play that weekend but it would've been fun to watch.
Spitfire used to be or be part of the Bombers. They recruit and have some solid kids playing. I have an employee and friend who have boys on the team and neither need a lot of coaching, they are natural athletes.
gofish24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #148
ArcheryAddict
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE View Post
ArcheryAddict you must be referring to the IMG Academy, google it and check it out.. It's crazy.
That sounds like it, not sure. Haven't looked it up yet though.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #149
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Sad the way kids sports is nowadays!!

I played baseball for 20 years of my life and its a shame to be honest.

$$$$$$$$$$ and that's the #1 problem

We are ranking 7-12 year old teams....come on man
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #150
Lefty5
Eight Point

Just keep it up and he won't see his junior year of college ball at the rate of nonstop playing. Look at the pros they take time off because the body parts do wear out and yes surgery can fix them but not back to its original state I know I was young and dumb and thought I could play forever but guess what my body played out.. Young sought after left handed picther with a future ahead of me but ... You guessed it ... Blew out a shoulder and yep it was non repairable junior year in college. Do I regret it HELL YES that's my thoughts on select baseball and has been for the 40 yrs just ask my son
Lefty5 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top