Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #51
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
My little guy plays league ball and I'm afraid of select ball. He could use the step up in competition, but I have no idea where to start, lol.

Some of these Coaches flat out scare me. He loves the game and loves to pitch at the moment, and even though he's good, I dont want to mess that up.
PM me if you have any questions. I was in your shoes at one time with a very timid kid.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #52
MikeyG
Ten Point

We have moved to 8u softball and I'm assistant coaching. Still rec at CPYL. I've met a ton of great people and do my best to stay away from the "toxic" coaches and parents. Fortunately, 8u softball at CPYL is solid and very competitive. We are confident they will go far in the Pony world series this year.

Select ball....I'm still on the fence. Mostly because I am not convinced my daughter has that kind of fire in her belly although she does have the physical ability. I hear 10u (first year of kid pitch) can be pretty painful as all of the decent pitchers have moved on to select by then.

We'll see....
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #53
bs888
Four Point

My daughter plays for a 16u black widows team as catcher. She has been starting varsity catcher since freshman year (sophomore now). She made 2nd team all district as a fish. She's got the fire to play college ball but says she doesn't want d1 because she wants more play time. I asked my wife what we will we do with our weekends when she graduates. My boy plays 14u on a premier prospects in Lewisville. I don't have free weekends!!! Wouldn't trade it for anything!!!
bs888 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #54
SPUD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches & Shelby Co; Unit 12 KS

Yup
Attached Images

SPUD is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #55
SPUD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches & Shelby Co; Unit 12 KS

We started out this year in 9u. Been playing Dixie ball the past couple years. the weekend ball just fits for us...schedule wise and the way we handle our kids.

definitely can push this group a little harder
SPUD is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #56
topduarte
Pope & Young

Nope, never did it. Waste of time and money imo.
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #57
Mailman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Any of you guys have a kid playing select baseball or softball?...
First sentence of the post, very first sentence!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topduarte View Post
Nope, never did it. Waste of time and money imo.
Never did it... Why post? He didn't ask for everyone's opinions on why or why not. He just wanted to know if anyone had kids playing, and wished those folks good luck.

I can speak with some clarity on the subject. I have 3 sons. 1 plays select, the other 2 play in league. I have spent more money on the 2 in league than I have on my oldest who plays select. We play with an organization that does fundraisers, plays mostly local, and doesn't pay fees for Coaches. So to throw a blanket on all of select ball as waste of time and money seems to come from someone who doesn't know much about it. Oh yeah, you never did it...

I don't have my son in select ball to play college baseball, I could care less about college. My 10 year old wants to play HS Baseball, and we live in a Baseball hotbed. As Grant2 stated, the competition in the select world is so much better than any league, my kid is "light years" ahead of the other 10 year olds in our area that only play league.

As a 9 year old, and a kid who had just turned 9, I put him back in Fall Ball in the league where we live just to get him more reps on live pitching. As a 9 year old, playing against 10's, he was already one of the Top 5 players in that league, so I know it worked, at least for my kid.

To each his own, but I like watching my kid have to work, and get his teeth kicked in by kids who are bigger, throw harder, and overall better athletes. It's nice to see them have to elevate their games in order to compete.

Good Luck To You Guys This Spring!!!
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #58
STONE
Four Point

Hunt In: Lindale, TX

I have 2 that play.. One in 13U Majors, and one in 13AAA... Both with Texas Sports..
STONE is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #59
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

I have a 9 year old playing. He loves it and I love it. I coached the past 2 years that we have played select but this year I sat back to watch and see how he does with another coach. He plays on a 10U Elite team and so far 2 of the 3 tournaments we have played were 11u. He's getting great experience and competes on a whole new level.

League is a joke. I coach his team in league and have 10 & 11 year olds that simply don't know the game and the parents think they are entitled to just as much playing time as all the other kids. But, my son is on a mission to make all stars so we stick with it. If I had to choose between the two, it would be select ball all day long.
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #60
ByronB
Ten Point

Not any more......but my son did play tournament ball for nine years. He would do it all over again if he could. Some of the best and most challenging experiences he faced during his Baseball career. My wife and I enjoyed watching him compete at such a high level here in the Houston area.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #61
Johnny
Pope & Young

I love Mailman's way of thinking (playing up). This is why my son is the #1 pitcher for Conroe Varsity since he was a freshman (sophomore now). He has been through the grease with top teams across the country since 9U...playing up a year or two along the way. I will say that I NEVER let him play in the fall. That time was reserved for Rest, Family Time, Hunting and the Holidays. I also let him take almost a year off this past year to pursue his other sport he loves which is Golf.

You know, I put him in baseball (select level) a long time ago because of his talent but honestly, the good times and life long friendships we have made along the way is what I love the most. Being involved in baseball teaches your kid not only about being responsible but also teaches them great lessons in life, as do most sports.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #62
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.latiolais View Post
League is a joke. I coach his team in league and have 10 & 11 year olds that simply don't know the game and the parents think they are entitled to just as much playing time as all the other kids. But, my son is on a mission to make all stars so we stick with it. If I had to choose between the two, it would be select ball all day long.
All due respect, but League ball is specifically for kids to learn the game, the fundamentals of the game in a competitive format.
Thats why every kid that signs up, gets on a team. Try outs are simply to see where the kid is skill wise...not if he makes a team.
And in league ball the rules say the kids get the same amount of playing time.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #63
STONE
Four Point

Hunt In: Lindale, TX

Johnny and Mailman are spot on... I watched HS tryouts this year as my oldest will be a fish next year.. you could definitely tell the ones who play/played select ball... We have made some and will continue to make some great memories playing ball..
STONE is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #64
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
All due respect, but League ball is specifically for kids to learn the game, the fundamentals of the game in a competitive format.
Thats why every kid that signs up, gets on a team. Try outs are simply to see where the kid is skill wise...not if he makes a team.
And in league ball the rules say the kids get the same amount of playing time.
I understand its about fundamentals, but the rules state that each kid shall play a minimum of 6 consecutive outs and one at bat. This is my first year coaching that we have these rules and it is not "Free Substitution". Only the 9 players on the field get to bat as well. I'm all for teaching kids the game, but in fairness to all the kids we need to be competitive as well. We are only 2 games in and I have parents on me about their kids sitting the bench more than others. I don't agree with the mentality that every kid should get the same amount of playing time.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #65
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
I understand its about fundamentals, but the rules state that each kid shall play a minimum of 6 consecutive outs and one at bat. This is my first year coaching that we have these rules and it is not "Free Substitution". Only the 9 players on the field get to bat as well. I'm all for teaching kids the game, but in fairness to all the kids we need to be competitive as well. We are only 2 games in and I have parents on me about their kids sitting the bench more than others. I don't agree with the mentality that every kid should get the same amount of playing time.
No argument from me on this. I'm the dad with his mouth shut except to encourage. I'm not a coach and envy those that can.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #66
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

My oldest played select for years (lower level) and had fun. He played local league ball as well. This past summer he played for a high level select team trying to get in front of coaches for a college scholarship. I can't say it made any difference as far as getting a scholarship. What it did do is allow him to see the level of competition he will have to be at to play college baseball. There is a huge difference between HS ball and even Jr College.
big_smith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #67
TigerBob
Four Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

My son has played select since 7. Currently playing on a 12U BN Phenom team that is pretty darn good. His mom and I love it just as much as he does, but we stay positive parents and let him find his own way in baseball.

I truly believe all levels of baseball exist because they are the right fit for someone. League play (or city ball) for those without the time, money, ability or desire to play select...AA ball for those that don't want or don't have the ability for the competition of higher levels, etc. etc. on up the chain. The biggest problem I've seen with youth baseball is with the parents, not the kids (although this probably goes for most youth sports). Most parents don't realize their kids already feel immense pressure playing and would love nothing more than to please them with their level of play - no matter how good or bad it is.
TigerBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #68
Kev
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Eastland

Had 2 boys play select from 8 yrs old to College. Both 3 year Varsity starters on playoff teams in a very tough district. Playing select gave them the competitive advantage and mental toughness to succeed.

Now, it was expensive but we made it about family, building memory's and friendships. Best advice I can give is to find a competitive club team with a good core group of kids with good families and stick with it. Don't jump from team to team and be that parent/kid combo that everyone talks about.

Good luck and make it about them.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #69
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Had 2 boys play select from 8 yrs old to College. Both 3 year Varsity starters on playoff teams in a very tough district. Playing select gave them the competitive advantage and mental toughness to succeed.

Now, it was expensive but we made it about family, building memory's and friendships. Best advice I can give is to find a competitive club team with a good core group of kids with good families and stick with it. Don't jump from team to team and be that parent/kid combo that everyone talks about.

Good luck and make it about them.
agreed. I work with some guys that think we are crazy and say that we spend too much time at practices and games but we love it. I also contend that we spend more time together as a family than a bunch of families do these days, whether it be in the car driving to and from (insert sports event) or sitting around between games with the team watching all the boys actin' out lol.

it also gives me and my wife one on one time with each of our boys when we split up and take them to their respective events, which is very important IMO, not to mention they aren't crazy *** little ***** when they are seperated
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #70
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

played it growing up but its a whole nother animal now unfortunately!

It is very sad how it has become with all sports. The parents live thru there kids and make you feel like your less if your not playing. The college exposure isn't as much as they claim as I have many college coach buddies at D1 schools

Remember only 1% of athletes in the US will ever play any collegiate ball

DISCLAIMER: I am a coach myself
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #71
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUD View Post
Yup
Gosh this makes me laugh....But spend anytime around any sports where $$$ is involved and see the craziness of parents.

Especially basketball
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #72
trhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora, Texas

Select baseball is not for everyone, but it does make your kid better at being competitive and be able to play when there is something on the line. Do I think League ball is bad, no it has it's place and for some who just want to play at that level then it is great for them.

My son played select ball from the time he was 7 and the is a Jr. in High school now, He also played Showcase ball. He has decided that he wants to play school ball this year and next but he doesn't want to play college ball. So it is all up to the kid, if you are playing select ball thinking that your kid will be the next D1 super star then you will be very disappointed, let the kid find his way with a little guidance from you parents.
trhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #73
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

My son is 9 and plays League ball. I have enjoyed being an assistant coach with all of the teams he's played on over the last 5 years. He's been asked to play select and we've gotten a few calls from coaches asking if he would like to play in a tournament or 2. We have played in some tournaments.
I don't encourage or discourage him either way, the goal for me and I hope him is to have fun.
We get some extra hitting and pitching instruction on the side. I feel like if he's comfortable that will build confidence.
Select ball has always been in the back of my mind but he really doesn't care as long as he's having fun. I will say we have seen the Daddy ball before and its extremely irritating
but I figure as long as the coach is taking the lead responsibility he can do that.

Love these baseball threads. We need to start one with pictures and keep it going throughout the season.

Last edited by Texas8point; 03-30-2016 at 12:54 PM..
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #74
chris1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion

Quote:

hate to say it but its true, completely different world. after last spring we played the rest of the year with our tournament team. both boys wanted to play in city ball and the coach of our tournament team encourages it to give them more game reps. the difference in the kids and parents is night and day. kids show up with the same gloves they had for 3 years and you can still read the model in the palm. parents dont take 15min a day to throw with them so you get 10yr olds that cant catch, and are scared of a hard throw to them. then when their kid isnt in the top of the lineup they get upset. they get upset because the coaches havent taught them how to hit or catch. i caoched a city team last year and 3 kids on that team knew how to catch, had 4 first time players. after my top 3 batters i couldnt pay the kids to stay in the box...tournament atmosphere is so much better. parents arent as likely to act out, and the kids can all play, for the most part. ive seen a couple teams that shouldnt be out there yet.
chris1911 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #75
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

From a dad that went through Little League, a Little League World Series, tons of select ball, high school ball, and D1 college ball, if my opinion means anything at all, and I were to give my best recommendation to you all, it would be this:

Play league, select, and any other baseball you can, but don't make it the end-all-be-all. We parents know so little of what really goes on. We are conditioned to believe that if they don't develop, they won't get a D1 scholly and/or won't go pro.

Over the years I watched a great many of the 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 year old studs wash out in high school when priorities change. I've watched many high school studs wash out quickly in college. Talent will reveal itself whether you play tons of select ball and pay millions of dollars or not.

Colleges will learn of talent whether you play select or not.

Pro scouts will see talented players whether they play select or not.

From when my kid played the only one of them that is currently in the major leagues is the one kid that stuck to Little League though every select team in Houston wanted him. He played none. By high school he was so heavily scouted that he participated in private batting practice events with MLB teams. He signed a full ride to Arizona, but went in the first round to the Angels (one slot in front of Mike Trout). He is currently the starting center fielder for the St. Luis Cardinals. Randal Grichuk.

Randal's dad and I are good friends. He will tell you the same thing. Have fun. If the talent is there, it will show and it will be seen. But don't expect that all this play will get them a D1 scholly or drafted. Only true talent does that, and again, it shows regardless.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #76
TreeNap
Eight Point

Hunt In: Young County & NW Oklahoma

I've coached "select" baseball for many years the past at the highest levels. Names that included Kershaw, Walden, Tolleson, Britton,

I now scout for Baltimore. Was drafted and played minor league baseball along with being the bullpen catcher w/ Texas for 3 years.

I could write a novel about this subject but it would take a decade.

I also have a 9 year old son with some ability.

Let's just say I coach him in rec ball this year.

Hope that tells you all you need to know.
TreeNap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #77
trhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Kevin View Post
From a dad that went through Little League, a Little League World Series, tons of select ball, high school ball, and D1 college ball, if my opinion means anything at all, and I were to give my best recommendation to you all, it would be this:

Play league, select, and any other baseball you can, but don't make it the end-all-be-all. We parents know so little of what really goes on. We are conditioned to believe that if they don't develop, they won't get a D1 scholly and/or won't go pro.

Over the years I watched a great many of the 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 year old studs wash out in high school when priorities change. I've watched many high school studs wash out quickly in college. Talent will reveal itself whether you play tons of select ball and pay millions of dollars or not.

From when my kid played the only one of them that is currently in the major leagues is the one kid that stuck to Little League though every select team in Houston wanted him. He played none. By high school he was so heavily scouted that he participated in private batting practice events with MLB teams. He signed a full ride to Arizona, but went in the first round to the Angels (one slot in front of Mike Trout). He is currently the starting center fielder for the St. Luis Cardinals. Randal Grichuk.

Randal's dad and I are good friends. He will tell you the same thing. Have fun. If the talent is there, it will show and it will be seen. But don't expect that all this play will get them a D1 scholly or drafted. Only true talent does that, and again, it shows regardless.
Agree, Talent is Talent. My son had the pleasure to play (catch) and I had the pleasure to watch Tyler & Stephen Kolek, Tyler was the #2 pick in the MLB draft and Stephen is in his first year at A&M (pitching). Tyler did not throw 100 mph until his sr. year in high school. Heck he broke his arm his jr. year and didn't play that much. I'm saying this because I got to speak with a ton of scouts and even though I was a big fan of Select baseball most of them were not.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #78
TreeNap
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
No worries bud, but when you are paying 300+ a month for a kid to play baseball that coach should be putting best product on the field. I'll get off my soap box now. Lol
This comment sums up amatuer baseball as a whole today.

"Best product on the field" ????

At what age?

Really?

I won't even start. No offense to the author of quote, just responding to the general comment and notion on the subject.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #79
TexasAg2002
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt, Tx

My son plays on the 8u Elite Rawlings team. It's intense but you need to make sure it's still fun for the kids. I think our coaches do a good job of keeping it fun but challenging the kids at the same time.
TexasAg2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #80
jbarr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country, S. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeNap View Post
This comment sums up amatuer baseball as a whole today.

"Best product on the field" ????

At what age?

Really?

I won't even start. No offense to the author of quote, just responding to the general comment and notion on the subject.
I'm talking about a "select team" where they are suppose to take the best kids and win games not league baseball. When you pay for your kid to play on team that is put together to win what else do you expect, but for the coach to put best product on the field.
jbarr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #81
trhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
I'm talking about a "select team" where they are suppose to take the best kids and win games not league baseball. When you pay for your kid to play on team that is put together to win what else do you expect, but for the coach to put best product on the field.
I think you missed his point. Are you paying to win games or are you paying to learn to play the game the right way with the correct fundamentals? If winning is the bottom line, then you can save a ton of money and just go purchase those $5 trophies. Teaching the kids to play hard, play the correct way, play for the competition and most importantly play to have fun. This should be way more important that winning.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #82
TreeNap
Eight Point

Quote:
All I can do is shake my head and smile.

You just don't get it.

It's ok, thousands across the country don't either.

Best of luck!
Old 03-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #83
jbarr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country, S. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeNap View Post
All I can do is shake my head and smile.

You just don't get it.

It's ok, thousands across the country don't either.

Best of luck!
Man, I get what you're saying and my son plays league ball now, due to the fact that he enjoys hunting and fishing just as much as playing baseball. Some of guys act like you know me and my son on a personal level, I'm not a parent that raises a stink at the fields, my son is usually the biggest cheerleader on the field we both enjoy the game. Maybe my opinion is different then some of you guys on what select ball is but is it worth getting upset or shaking your head and smile. Sorry for the difference in opinion, I'll just make sure not to open thread.

God bless,
Josh
jbarr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #84
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Quote:
Been there done that. Thats the parent you have to tell to hush and if they want something different then they can volunteer to coach next year.
Jaybo31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #85
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Quote:
Man, I get what you're saying and my son plays league ball now, due to the fact that he enjoys hunting and fishing just as much as playing baseball. Some of guys act like you know me and my son on a personal level, I'm not a parent that raises a stink at the fields, my son is usually the biggest cheerleader on the field we both enjoy the game. Maybe my opinion is different then some of you guys on what select ball is but is it worth getting upset or shaking your head and smile. Sorry for the difference in opinion, I'll just make sure not to open thread.

God bless,
Josh
Josh, not going to name any names here, but I know of a left hander that could chunk the ball 72 at 11, and 76 at 12. He was virtually untouchable... until he got to high school. He was still at 76 and he wasn't a big deal at all.

So, best product on the field is all relative.

Select ball can be fun and rewarding. I won't try to speak for TreeNap, but I recommend that you guys have as much fun as you can. Scholarships and draft spots will come no matter what you do, or don't do now.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #86
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Not trying to start and argument but people keep making references to Scholarships and what not... I have not seen anyone mention that the reason their kid is playing select ball is so that they can try to get them a scholarship for a big school.

I for one am fully aware that my son may not even play baseball through out school. He has fun with it. The only reason we play select is for the competitiveness.

He's already mentioned not playing select next year because he found out about the Youth Fishing League!!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #87
tradtiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

We were fortunate to have a very good little league program, and, so, stayed with it until finishing the 12-year-old year. Good coaches with positive reinforcement of fundamentals, and a particularly talented group of players in our age bracket -- made it all the way to the state tournament one year. Only afterward did we get into select play. It should be noted that there are vast differences within the term "select." Our program was not out to win trophies, but rather emphasized top-notch coaching, teaching how to play the game and creating opportunities for players to lead, excel or even struggle. Roughly half a dozen kids from that program (from last year's h.s. grad class alone) including my son are now playing at the college level. Of course, there are much more "elite" programs out there -- heck we played a team in the national tournament that had 11 D1 commits on it. We lost

Point is, local availabilities should guide decisions about league vs. select. Probably, select is not that vital to an 8 year-old's development.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #88
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Kevin View Post

And this ^^^^
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #89
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Maybe you should be coaching a select team and not a rec team. What did you expect from 10/11u rec?

Last edited by ShockValue; 03-30-2016 at 07:30 PM..
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #90
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockValue View Post
Maybe you should be coaching a select team and not a rec team. What did you expect from 10/11u rec?

I have coached select, decided to sit out this year and how my boy does with someone else coaching. So far it's been great.

And I'm not against league ball, I really enjoy it but, I have mixed thoughts about what is "fair". I have parents telling me it is t fair that their kids sits more than others. But, I also have kids who practice 4 and 5 days a week, take lessons, and really try to be the best ball player they can. And they are very good. So it's not "fair" to them if I sit them half a game just so little Johnny gets his playing time, even though he just decided to "try" baseball this year and doesn't practice any other time than the 2-4 hours I have him during the week. That's my only complaint with the equal playing time issues.

You get out of it what you put into to it.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #91
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhunter View Post
I think you missed his point. Are you paying to win games or are you paying to learn to play the game the right way with the correct fundamentals? If winning is the bottom line, then you can save a ton of money and just go purchase those $5 trophies. Teaching the kids to play hard, play the correct way, play for the competition and most importantly play to have fun. This should be way more important that winning.
Totally agree with this ^^^^^
I think and I see from some of the comments parents and coaches alike have lost sight of the fact these are 8, 9, 10 yr old kids. They just want to play baseball and have fun. There is a lot of years between 8 and being drafted or distracted by other things..... and at some point PRO has to be the thought process..... I mean why would you spend thousands of dollars for a kid to play baseball if its just for fun ?

Im just thinking out loud ......

Last edited by Texas8point; 03-31-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #92
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas8point View Post

I think and I see from some of the comments parents and coaches alike have lost sight of the fact these are 8, 9, 10 yr old kids. They just want to play baseball and have fun. There is a lot of years between 8 and being drafted or distracted by other things..... and at some point PRO has to be the thought process..... I mean why would you spend thousands of dollars for a kid to play baseball if its just for fun ?

For a better experience. Lots of things you can do just for fun, throw a few more $$$ into and it can be a lot more fun.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #93
DKirk
Ten Point

My son is about to be 8 and has been getting asked lately to play but I keep putting it off. I've thought about trying to contact some of the teams from the surrounding areas and trying to have a league for the area so the kids can play a more competitive group without having to travel to much at this age.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #94
trhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas8point View Post

I said this because I was one of those dads (when my son first started select) that if you played select then you had to win every game (put the best product on the field). As the years went by and you could see kids not loving the game (including mine) and not wanting to work hard at it anymore, my thinking started to change. Are those trophies and rings really worth it, no they are not, having fun while learning the game is way more important. If you win then that is the cherry on top. Select is not for everyone, I am a big fan of select if it is done correctly. Get with a good coach that has fun and teaches the game right, but most importantly (I cannot stress this enough) get with a great group of parents that enjoy the game and have fun. Parents are the reason the game is ruined for the kids. If you find good Parents then 99% of the time the kids will be good kids also. I would not trade the days my son played select for anything, we met some awesome friends and traveled all over playing a great game of baseball. If my son follows thru with not playing college ball then he and my family will have some of the best memories from him growing up that you could ask for. It was never about scholarships or pro ball it was about memories and being competitive. Baseball can teach a kid so much about life and those are great lessons.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #95
dalaka
Four Point

TeeNap and TexasKevin are dead on. I have coached girls softball for many years....seen many girls that have played select....and many that didn't. I never slam select...I never slam little league, because at the end of the day, the cream of the crop rises to the top. Some kids have natural, God given talent that can not be taught or coached. I have seen these gifted ones roll into the High School softball season in February (after starring in basketball and volleyball in fall/winter), and the haven't touched a softball since the HS state tournament in June - step in the batters box in the first game back and hit a HR. They just have IT. These are the type of freaks of nature that play in the NFL/NBA/MLB etc - you rarely see it, but when you do, you will know it. You watch in awe. At the end of the day.....make sure your kids do it for the fun of the game, the memories, etc and enjoy your time with them!
dalaka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #96
Dropshot
Four Point

Hunt In: public/looking

If yall have tournaments in DFW area, I work at an indoor hitting facility. If yall are looking to use one to warm up pregame, or just get some swings in, please PM me for details. If you live here, gimme a shout. We have machines, tunnels and instructors for lessons. Baseball and hunting/fishing are two of my biggest passions, and I know theyre pricey, so Id love to help out the fellow hunters!
Dropshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #97
TxsBuda
Six Point

Hunt In: Near Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
This is not true. I know of plenty of programs and baseball clubs that have some teams coached by dads with kids on the team. Those sons believe me get no special treatment just because dad is the coach and every boy has to earn their right to be at any spot on the field.
I agree with you. I coached my son until he was 14. 18 kids that I've coached made their high school freshman team this year. Most start.

Showcase ball is different in the summers of high school, but up to age 14 you can compete with the big names. We did and we won more than our share of championships. I just loved beating the organizations.

BTW, parents from those big organizations would ask how much I charge. I said you only have to pay for the uniforms, tournaments and practice facility. Their jaws would drop. Oh, and for the naysayers that said I favored my son, nope. He played everywhere the team needed him to play, even catcher as a lefty.
TxsBuda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2016, 01:49 PM   #98
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

The biggest problem I see with select ball is the parents period. The ones that think their kid is better than what he is stir the pot big time every year. Most of the time it's over playing time or certain position on the field or why he can't pitch on certain games " Championship" most of the time. These are also the one that put no effort in getting lessons or putting in the extra work but they think it should just be handed to them like most these days b/c it's only fair. I also think it's funny how people always start the Daddy ball stuff when their kid does not get the shot they think he deserves so the only thing they can justify is saying a coach is playing Daddy ball. Try getting your player the extra work putting in the effort talking to the coach about helping when available instead of stirring the pot. Yes there are some that play Daddy ball, but I can assure you there are a ton of coaches including myself that don't. I think a lot of parents would be better off to just let their kids play baseball and let the coaches handle it. If you don't like something address it in private and if that does not work leave pretty simple.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2016, 02:05 PM   #99
Johnny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhunter View Post
I said this because I was one of those dads (when my son first started select) that if you played select then you had to win every game (put the best product on the field). As the years went by and you could see kids not loving the game (including mine) and not wanting to work hard at it anymore, my thinking started to change. Are those trophies and rings really worth it, no they are not, having fun while learning the game is way more important. If you win then that is the cherry on top. Select is not for everyone, I am a big fan of select if it is done correctly. Get with a good coach that has fun and teaches the game right, but most importantly (I cannot stress this enough) get with a great group of parents that enjoy the game and have fun. Parents are the reason the game is ruined for the kids. If you find good Parents then 99% of the time the kids will be good kids also. I would not trade the days my son played select for anything, we met some awesome friends and traveled all over playing a great game of baseball. If my son follows thru with not playing college ball then he and my family will have some of the best memories from him growing up that you could ask for. It was never about scholarships or pro ball it was about memories and being competitive. Baseball can teach a kid so much about life and those are great lessons.

Great post. Me and you think alike.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #100
trhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Great post. Me and you think alike.
Yes we do. Tell Brendon Veit Coach Tommy said good luck. And good luck to Colton.