Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comfort, Kerrville
Default Select Baseball

Any of you guys have a kid playing select baseball or softball? I have been coaching select ball for 3 years now and love every minute of it watching these kids grow and develop is unreal. I coach a 10u team here in Kingwood and hope to do it for many years to come. I have been playing and coaching for 30+ yrs and still love the game today as I did when I started playing. Hope to see some of you guys at some tournament this year we play at the Scrapyard,Baseball USA,Rothwood,Katy and a few other parks here in the Houston area. Good luck to you guys this year.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
jbarr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country, S. Tesas

We did it for 2 years and had fun and met some really good people but it seems the 2 teams my son played on it turned into daddy ball. He plays league ball but I do miss watching tournaments sometimes because there are some really good teams and players. Good luck.
jbarr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Grant2
Ten Point

I have seen the daddy ball come into play a lot in select ball. I have a son on the team, but I have told every kid on the team you compete for your spot every week and that includes my son. I have told my boys to put in the extra work to be able to compete every week, but at the same time make it fun b/c I'm still in the reality there 10yr old and don't push to hard. Sorry to here that your son had that experience it is a lot of fun if you have a good group of parents and kids.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Yes sir...my son has been playing since 9u. First 3 years with Kings Baseball and Banditos Black since then. He lettered Varsity his freshman year, currently a sophomore. Here he is last week on the bump for Conroe High. We will pick up in a couple showcase tournaments this summer with the Banditos. Select baseball has taken us all over the country and we have made life long friendships along the way.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1458397503780.jpg
Views: 3735
Size:  64.1 KB
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
Grant2
Ten Point

Congrats at your son! We have played the Banditos many times always a good club.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
jbarr
Ten Point

Banditos and the Bengals are 2 of the best baseball organizations around. I wish they weren't so far away from us.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Ksbowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: SE Kansas / deep east tx

It's a money racket. When we were kids we had to play and win our way to the World Series. Now it don't matter how good you are, you just have to mail in your money and book a hotel and your in the World Series. Hahahaha
Ksbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
tonyt79
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

At a tournament right now...freezing! We are up in Dallas but will be playing at the scrap yard next month.
tonyt79 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #9
Johnny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Congrats at your son! We have played the Banditos many times always a good club.
Are you traveling with your team for a World Series this summer? We went to Gulf Shores during 9u. Absolute blast. Awesome beaches, great food, outstanding fishing and baseball. How can you beat that?
Old 03-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #10
JVasquez
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksbowhunter View Post
It's a money racket. When we were kids we had to play and win our way to the World Series. Now it don't matter how good you are, you just have to mail in your money and book a hotel and your in the World Series. Hahahaha
At the lower select levels true but not at the higher USSSA levels. You have to qualify to get to Florida. My son played select and now plays high school. Him and his high school teammates are also playing senior little league for a chance to go to the senior league world series this summer in Bangor Maine. Of course they have to win district, sectionals, state and regionals to get there.
JVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
chancito1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction/South Texas

My daughter plays for one of the top ranked teams in the nation in 18u, just took my 15yr old to his first tryout with ABC out of Austin which he made the team. My girl has been playing since she was 6 and it's true lower level is a lot about money but nationals they go to are qualifying or invite only events. Wouldn't trade it for the world
chancito1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #12
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Are you traveling with your team for a World Series this summer? We went to Gulf Shores during 9u. Absolute blast. Awesome beaches, great food, outstanding fishing and baseball. How can you beat that?
Yes I coach over at Dynasty and we do a WS every year. We won the WS in Sulphur and are headed to Gulf Shores this year and your right they are a blast. We have some teams competing today at the scrapyard in the Super NIT and we are heading to Katy today in just a few minutes.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

My little girl plays 8 U here in Mont Belvieu for the Bombers.
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
Grant2
Ten Point

The one thing I will say about the money part is even at the lower levels you have to spend the money and time to get the right development for your kids in the long run it will pay off if your with the right team or organization. Just like everything if you put in your time and work ethic it will pay off.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #15
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
We did it for 2 years and had fun and met some really good people but it seems the 2 teams my son played on it turned into daddy ball. He plays league ball but I do miss watching tournaments sometimes because there are some really good teams and players. Good luck.
Daddy ball is becoming a bigger problem every year.
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #16
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Freezing at a tourney right now. It's a shame you can't play rec ball anymore and have good kids to field all 9 spots. My kid played tourney team. Played rec ball 1 season and hated it. Back to tourney ball.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #17
glen
Pope & Young

Good programs never have coaches with kids on the teams. I would not have my kid on a team with a parent coaching. We have 3 coaches that all have day jobs and their xtra job is coaching baseball
Old 03-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #18
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Good programs never have coaches with kids on the teams. I would not have my kid on a team with a parent coaching. We have 3 coaches that all have day jobs and their xtra job is coaching baseball
This is not true. I know of plenty of programs and baseball clubs that have some teams coached by dads with kids on the team. Those sons believe me get no special treatment just because dad is the coach and every boy has to earn their right to be at any spot on the field.
aggie2000tx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #19
jrfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan co.

My boy plays 14U select with Texas Sports out of Rockwall. He loves the game!!!
jrfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #20
DeerMagnet
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

My son has played since 9u ; he's 15 now. Played in a lot of good organizations. Our team merged with another team this past fall. Seems these teams operate like major businesses. Looking to tryout for a team after high school season.
DeerMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #21
Johnny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Yes I coach over at Dynasty and we do a WS every year. We won the WS in Sulphur and are headed to Gulf Shores this year and your right they are a blast. We have some teams competing today at the scrapyard in the Super NIT and we are heading to Katy today in just a few minutes.
You talking about the Governor's Games in Lake Charles/Sulphur? We did that for 3 years at the end of school year. Great baseball experience. Always had great games against Dynasty over the years. Good luck to your team the rest of the year and in Gulf Shores as well!
Old 03-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #22
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

My boy plays 10u for the batters box out of brenham. Just got done with 2 miserably cold games in Taylor. Back at it tomorrow and hopefully they play like they did today. It's been really fun, but is a commitment that not everyone is willing to make.
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #23
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
Daddy ball is becoming a bigger problem every year.
So you want your 8 or 10 year old playing on a team with paid coaches? No thanks.

As for "Daddy Ball", I appreciate that time and effort that the "Daddy's" that have coached my son's team as a volunteer have put in and all the crap that they have to put up with from the parents.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #24
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
Pretty sure all coaches in the Texas Rattlers (Flower Mound) system are Dad's. I'd say FM Jags and FM Marcus both have pretty salty High School teams every year including 2014 State Champion and a lot of those boys come from the Rattlers.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #25
jbarr
Ten Point

My definition of "daddy ball" is someone who coach's to put there kid or friends kids in positions they shouldn't be in. Usually the kids I'm talking about are the uncoachable ones with the I'm better then you attitude. As far as dad's that coach for the right reasons such as, teaching kids fundamentals, pitching etc and how to act on the field hats off to them. I did it for 6 yrs but just got tired of attitudes and parents. Now me and my son will go out for about 45 min twice a week and do some drills and he goes to his team practice.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #26
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
My definition of "daddy ball" is someone who coach's to put there kid or friends kids in positions they shouldn't be in. Usually the kids I'm talking about are the uncoachable ones with the I'm better then you attitude. As far as dad's that coach for the right reasons such as, teaching kids fundamentals, pitching etc and how to act on the field hats off to them. I did it for 6 yrs but just got tired of attitudes and parents. Now me and my son will go out for about 45 min twice a week and do some drills and he goes to his team practice.
I get that I guess but I think a lot of people think their kid is better than they really are an use "Daddy Ball" as an excuse to biatch.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #27
jbarr
Ten Point

I never said my kid was better then anyone's, but baseball is a game of statistics and when you have kids with horrible batting avg hitting hitting in front kids that consistently gets on base for example that's daddy ball.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #28
nativeaustin
Four Point

Hunt In: Seguin

My son played in dripping springs this morning for his 10U team.
nativeaustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #29
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
I never said my kid was better then anyone's, but baseball is a game of statistics and when you have kids with horrible batting avg hitting hitting in front kids that consistently gets on base for example that's daddy ball.
Sorry man...not talking to or about you. Just talking in general.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #30
jbarr
Ten Point

No worries bud, but when you are paying 300+ a month for a kid to play baseball that coach should be putting best product on the field. I'll get off my soap box now. Lol
Old 03-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #31
glen
Pope & Young

Jbarr I agree with you. Just got done with 2 game sin the cold wind. Team my kid is on has 3 coaches that were all from D1 college programs. They don't have kids playing baseball. They could care less about who's parents get upset. Ive seen them bench everyone of the kids at some point. It is kinda nice as none of the kids have anything to gripe about because someone else in playing in front of them.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #32
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co

Worst thing about "select" type ball is the parents.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #33
speck1
Ten Point

I had a lot of good times watching my boys play select baseball. I really don't see anyway around it if your son is going to play for a good high school program. The coaching and competition in little league is very poor these days. My older two boys are a junior and senior at Boerne Champion this year. All 26 players on our varsity roster played select baseball. I honestly don't remember a player ever coming thru rec ball and making our high school team. It is time consuming and expensive but the competition they face pays off in high school. Most high school coaches these days just manage the players they have. The actual teaching is all done by the ex pro select coaches.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #34
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Worst thing about "select" type ball is the parents.
No doubt. You see a some kids that just look like they don't even want to be there, but are there because mom and dad want them there. There are plenty of parents that act a fool and take most of the fun out of it for the kids. Every kid on the field is going to be in the big leagues someday in their parent's minds.
MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #35
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

ALL 3 of my son's played select BB and HS sports. I was so thrilled when select was over and my school tax $$ and hard earned cash went to their HS years. If I had all the $$ I spent on equipment, fees, travel, hotels...dang...I'd have every hunting opportunity I would ever want available. But, then I would have never seen those great memories I'll take to my grave. Enjoy....but wow, it's a challenge!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #36
speck1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
ALL 3 of my son's played select BB and HS sports. I was so thrilled when select was over and my school tax $$ and hard earned cash went to their HS years. If I had all the $$ I spent on equipment, fees, travel, hotels...dang...I'd have every hunting opportunity I would ever want available. But, then I would have never seen those great memories I'll take to my grave. Enjoy....but wow, it's a challenge!
X2. Sacrifices we make for our kids.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #37
focushunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria,Maddisonville

Quote:
Banditos and the Bengals are 2 of the best baseball organizations around. I wish they weren't so far away from us.
Might check out Texas Bluechips thats where we are and its a great place. The coaches really care about the kids. They are growing very fast also. My son plays on the 8u team.
focushunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #38
DFWfirefighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: vernon

some of the best fun and worst times. my son started with d-bat when he was younger and loved it then it started to be only about the money not quality. just MY opinion. began to be about how many more teams could they add not just cut kids that didn't make the 2 teams his age group had. we then played for arlington A's . My son then decided baseball became less and less fun and focused on football and got football scholarship and baseball was his better sport.

never forget the conversation with his varsity coach after he benched my son after he got on base all3 times up to bat and scored all 3 times. my son was lead off, led the team in on base % and led the team by a long shot in walks. coach said he wanted someone more aggressive at swinging bat......he would rather have some one swinging away striking out and not getting on vs someone that gets walked on avg twice a game.
DFWfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #39
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

My oldest is playing select and nations elite - 10U. He plays with a tight knit group of Sugar Land kids on a team called the Salty Dawgs. We may see some of you guys in the near future.
Pin Oak DXT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #40
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

My two cents as the father of 4 girls, two of which played a lot of AAU Basketball and two that will soon:

If you have your kid in it for the love of the game, then great....support them and push them to be as good as they're willing to work to be. If you've got your kid in it so that they can get a scholarship to play college ball, save your money that you're spending on select ball and pay for college yourself. My girls played with and against plenty of kids whose parents were dropping a ton of coin on select basketball so their kid would get noticed and get a scholarship. That same money would have paid for an education at a decent school. Instead, their kids ended up playing at some school you've never heard of in BFE, Iowa or Backwoods, Kentucky on a partial scholarship and Mom and Dad were out thousands of dollars spent on select basketball. My daughter made a choice early on, D1 or nothing. When she didn't get a D1 offer, she chose to go to TAMU on a Daddy scholarship. We were fortunate that the AAU team that she played for was sponsored and we paid a very small amount. She got a ton of experience, a ton of exposure and her game was elevated through tougher competition. Keep those goals in mind and you won't have many regrets.

Off my soapbox now.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #41
bbridges
Four Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Have a daughter playing 8U select. This is our first year in select and so far so good. We are playing competitively at the tourneys we have been to but are not the best team yet by far. It beats the same old league ball year after year for sure. We had gotten to the point that she had exceeded 95% in her age group in league and needed a more competitive field to play in. She has her hands full now for sure but is making huge strides on the field. Great memories for sure.
bbridges is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #42
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
My two cents as the father of 4 girls, two of which played a lot of AAU Basketball and two that will soon:

If you have your kid in it for the love of the game, then great....support them and push them to be as good as they're willing to work to be. If you've got your kid in it so that they can get a scholarship to play college ball, save your money that you're spending on select ball and pay for college yourself. My girls played with and against plenty of kids whose parents were dropping a ton of coin on select basketball so their kid would get noticed and get a scholarship. That same money would have paid for an education at a decent school. Instead, their kids ended up playing at some school you've never heard of in BFE, Iowa or Backwoods, Kentucky on a partial scholarship and Mom and Dad were out thousands of dollars spent on select basketball. My daughter made a choice early on, D1 or nothing. When she didn't get a D1 offer, she chose to go to TAMU on a Daddy scholarship. We were fortunate that the AAU team that she played for was sponsored and we paid a very small amount. She got a ton of experience, a ton of exposure and her game was elevated through tougher competition. Keep those goals in mind and you won't have many regrets.

Off my soapbox now.
Very well said and I'll add that the NCAA still allows 11.7 total scholarships per baseball team, to be split among a 35 man roster.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #43
glen
Pope & Young

Curt- spot on. I see a lot o folks dumping $$$ in thinking there is some type of return. I have no idea what my kid will do. He may not even play high school baseball as he seems to like football more. He does like baseball and likes playing at the level he is playing. I do support him hope this baseball teaches something positive about life.

Yesterday he did throw 2 shutout innings and had a 3 RBI double in a 4 run tie ballgame.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #44
Grant2
Ten Point

I have been doing this for along time and have seen my fair share of daddy ball. Like I said up top I have a son on the team, but he earns his spot every week just like every kid on the team. I have benched him more than his fair share for making mistakes as other have out played him on days. I care about the development of the kids and putting the best product on the field to win ball games. I will say this as well if you are in select ball to see your kid get a scholarship your in it for the wrong reasons only about 20% of the kids go on to play college ball and start and maybe less than that. I love this game and the kids that play it and if I can give them their best shot at playing at a higher level then my job is done. I only worry about the kids not the parents most parents need to just sit back and let their kids play ball.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #45
glen
Pope & Young

If you have a team that 20% play ball past high school then y'all are putting out some studs. Baseball is not a sport you get rides to school with anymore
Old 03-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #46
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

My son has been playing select ball since he was 8 and now plays 13U AAA. We had to be at the park yesterday morning @ 6:45 for back to back games and it was COOOOOOOLD!
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #47
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
If you have a team that 20% play ball past high school then y'all are putting out some studs. Baseball is not a sport you get rides to school with anymore
We have our fair share of kids moving on to play college ball, but I was talking about only maybe 20% in the state. I also want to say one more thing to the parents please don't ever go to an organization and tell the coaches your child was offered a full ride at this school or that school never going to happen in college baseball unless he is D1 stud and even then very slim chance
Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #48
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

My 8yo is on a 8u Dallas Tigers team, playing in a tournament this weekend in Grapevine.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #49
chris1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion

my 10yo plays now, its a blast. love to watch the select kids play. we just wrapped up 2 weekends in a row of tourneys an im ready for this weekend off. we play again next weekend in longview,,,hopefully if it makes.
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #50
jer_james
Ten Point

My little guy plays league ball and I'm afraid of select ball. He could use the step up in competition, but I have no idea where to start, lol.

Some of these Coaches flat out scare me. He loves the game and loves to pitch at the moment, and even though he's good, I dont want to mess that up.
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top