Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default To those who have bought Tracker Boats question for you...

Do they have much haggle room? If not on boat but maybe accessories? Thanks
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Definitely not on the boat. I can't recall any haggling on accessories either
Pullersboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Tried to but nada...but I was young and dumb at the time so could have had something to do with it. Bought one of their grizzlies and it was the biggest pos I have ever owned. In less than 6 months it had cracked all to hell. Hull had several cracks and broken welds everywhere.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
Tried to but nada...but I was young and dumb at the time so could have had something to do with it. Bought one of their grizzlies and it was the biggest pos I have ever owned. In less than 6 months it had cracked all to hell. Hull had several cracks and broken welds everywhere.
How long ago was that? I heard they have really changed for the better the last few yrs. I'm looking at the Grizzly 1654 MVX sportsman for the ranch.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

I would avoid tracker in what i've read on the internet. My pops wanted a tracker v-16 or so a few years back and the reviews for anything produced in the last half decade by them were awful. I talked with a buddy that runs a service department for a local boat yard here in DFW that said he wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
How long ago was that? I heard they have really changed for the better the last few yrs. I'm looking at the Grizzly 1654 MVX sportsman for the ranch.
Think it was in 2005 Brandon. Mine was a tunnel hull and thats exactly where it started cracking all around the tunnel. Steel seemed to have alot of flex in it that caused the cracks. They gave me the run around about fixin it and finally said they would have to ship it to Missouri or somewhere and have their guys weld it up. Would take 2-3 months... BS. My buddy owned a welding shop at the coast and I tried to get them to let me take it there but they told me it would void the warranty. Took it to him anyway and had him weld it back up.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop co. Brazoria co.

I had a 2016 1754 grizzly, sold it and wouldn't buy another one. Welds looked like pigeon ****. Everything on it just seemed cheap
SwineAssassiN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop co. Brazoria co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
I had a 2016 1754 grizzly, sold it and wouldn't buy another one. Welds looked like pigeon ****. Everything on it just seemed cheap
Gaskets in the gauges on the dash were loose and they'd fog up all the time and get water in them, latch on the front deck broke from the boat riding so ruff
SwineAssassiN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
Well dang. I like the price on this. Not going to be used on any big water only 15 acre lake and about a 6 mile stretch of the Colorado River at the the ranch.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Nope.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

I checked on them a while back. Lots of complaints about cracked welds that for one reason or another were denied warranty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I did structural warranty repair work for Tracker for two years for the 5 state region. Every thing from re-carpets (some because one of a material buyer thought he'd save the company some money buying cheaper carpet that didn't even last a year in the showroom), to hull structure on all lines, to deck replacements on the Grizz line, transom replacements on all lines, to pontoon and deck change outs on their biggest party barges, and much more. I'd advise finding another brand.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #13
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over

They're a decent boat at best unless you plan on taking it off the showroom floor!! In that case run like heck!! A buddy had one for a couple years and it spent more time in the shop getting rewelded than it did in his carport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
doright
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

I just traded one in. I will buy a blow up pool toy before I would own another tracker.
doright is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #15
Charles
Pope & Young

Heep of junk
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #16
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

[quote=doright;12159109 I will buy a blow up pool toy before I would own another tracker.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #17
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

My brother had a tracker bass boat years ago probably in the 90's and I don't remember him having any trouble with the hull. Things may have changed. He fished all over Texas with it. He knew what it would handle and what it would not.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #18
fox1
Ten Point

Location: East Texan by birth but spending all my time in Okl.
Hunt In: now accepting invitations

Shoot I have a tracker I bought new in 2007 and have had no problem with it at all, I have bounced that boat off of every stump on Toledo bend and it still doesn't have a crack anywhere on it
fox1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #19
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Im taking all this in, but that being said that , I often want wonder a lot about expectations vs realistic performance.

Last edited by BrandonA; 01-30-2017 at 07:47 PM..
Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #20
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

I expected a brand new boat to last more than 6 months before it goes to crap. Also expected a company to stand behind their product and not bend you over.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:55 PM   #21
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I have heard that They give some pretty good discount on last years models when the new models come out.
I am on my second Tracker. First one was a pt175 and was pretty flimsy and scary in really rough water.
The one I have now is a Tracker Avalanche that is no longer made.

No way would I buy one of the Tracker boats that are made now.

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 01-30-2017 at 07:57 PM..
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #22
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Bass Tracker Avalanche was discontinued in 2008. If you can find one like I did it is 5 time the boat that the new trackers are. Second pic show Avalanche vs current Tracker.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #23
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
I expected a brand new boat to last more than 6 months before it goes to crap. Also expected a company to stand behind their product and not bend you over.
Yes sir I agree with you. I own a 24ft Century Inshore ... Best center console made in my opinion, and I have fished out a lot of boats . As a licensed guide I've had boats around me fishing me , in bad weather, and ask myself what the hell are they doing here.. Many of the them trackers or other aluminum boats. I know my boats limitations and what she can or can't handle. I'm not saying you abused the boat or what not. But many boats take on more than they can handle.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #24
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

I bought a Tracker new in 2005. The only issue I ever had with it was the bilge pump going out once. Everything else has worked perfectly. I have been real happy with mine. I have a lake house so it gets plenty of use every year.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 08:41 PM   #25
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes sir I agree with you. I own a 24ft Century Inshore ... Best center console made in my opinion, and I have fished out a lot of boats . As a licensed guide I've had boats around me fishing me , in bad weather, and ask myself what the hell are they doing here.. Many of the them trackers or other aluminum boats. I know my boats limitations and what she can or can't handle. I'm not saying you abused the boat or what not. But many boats take on more than they can handle.

I promise you she didnt get much abuse in 6 months! Never even made it out to the Gulf in her
Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #26
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
I promise you she didnt get much abuse in 6 months! Never even made it out to the Gulf in her
Good deal!!! Thanks for the info
Old 01-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #27
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

had a tracker 10 or so years ago and never had any problems out of it. that being said, all of its use was on Toledo, and seldom saw the main lake.
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #28
Kingfisher747
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1 View Post
Shoot I have a tracker I bought new in 2007 and have had no problem with it at all, I have bounced that boat off of every stump on Toledo bend and it still doesn't have a crack anywhere on it
Yea we got one like that too!
Kingfisher747 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 05:13 AM   #29
doright
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

I had no problem with the hull. My issue is with everything else. Trolling motor never worked right. Carpet started rotting. Dry boxes leaked. Trailer axel was out of alignment causing the tires to wear. Paint was easily chipped. The boat never leaked though.
doright is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 06:07 AM   #30
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
I bought a Tracker new in 2005. The only issue I ever had with it was the bilge pump going out once. Everything else has worked perfectly. I have been real happy with mine. I have a lake house so it gets plenty of use every year.
I have a 2005 also and I absolutely beat it up. I even get comments on how bad I treat it but never have any real issues.

So what year did Tracker go bad? I was debating getting a new one.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 AM   #31
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I have a 2005 also and I absolutely beat it up. I even get comments on how bad I treat it but never have any real issues.

So what year did Tracker go bad? I was debating getting a new one.
Once the bean counters decided to change the aluminum alloy to a thinner more brittle material .090 thickness is when they started to develop hull cracks from the inside out. Look at a new one and you can already see the creases on the outside where the formers touch the hull from the inside. In rough water this is where the hulls crack. The alloy used is too brittle and has no give to it. It is lighter and cheaper and welds easier. Trackers made today don't like being bumped around in the stumps and the first place that will fail is the bow seam that is glued in place instead of welded. Here's one I repaired. The welding has to be done from the inside which means tearing out the floor and foam to get to it. A good welder I ain't. Looks like a dirt dobber did the job but it held. This was a 2001 model.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2017, 08:20 AM   #32
flinger
Ten Point

Didn't know Tracker was that bad. Might check into monarch, sea ark or the lowes aluminum boats.
flinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 09:04 AM   #33
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Once the bean counters decided to change the aluminum alloy to a thinner more brittle material .090 thickness is when they started to develop hull cracks from the inside out. Look at a new one and you can already see the creases on the outside where the formers touch the hull from the inside. In rough water this is where the hulls crack. The alloy used is too brittle and has no give to it. It is lighter and cheaper and welds easier. Trackers made today don't like being bumped around in the stumps and the first place that will fail is the bow seam that is glued in place instead of welded. Here's one I repaired. The welding has to be done from the inside which means tearing out the floor and foam to get to it. A good welder I ain't. Looks like a dirt dobber did the job but it held. This was a 2001 model.
The 165-180 were notorious for that. Especially the 170 and 175. It most often happens right were the keel meets the waterline. One of the fixes I did after welding the crack up was fab a piece of extruded "hat" material (rib material). And run the brace down to the keel and weld in place to the hull. Then weld the top to the beam. That would help keep the material at the keel from flexing in and out so much. Sometimes I'd have to fab a piece with an ark that is the same as the inside of the keel. Then rivet each side of the hat material. Then weld a vertical brace in two or four locations to the top of the hat material. It just depended where the crack was.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #34
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: www.wgoutfitters.com

I bought a new Tracker Sportsman 2072 last year and use it to guide bowfishing trips out of. So far so good and no complaints.

To answer your original question. The boat price is pretty much set in stone. The accessories are negotionable. I had them throw in a bank charger, extra battery for a 36vlt trolling motor, and wire it all in for my troller, no extra charge.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #35
Oleman
Eight Point

Brandon, you have been in mine. 1992 Pro 16. I have been on Granger when the wind came up and rode the waves, scraped a few rocks, hit a stump or two in Inks, and some logs/underwater trees on the Pedernales River, and never had a leak.. It's a Tracker and love it, but with changes to the hull materials I can't vouch for todays models. BTW..It still has some of your pond mud on it..LOL
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #36
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleman View Post
Brandon, you have been in mine. 1992 Pro 16. I have been on Granger when the wind came up and rode the waves, scraped a few rocks, hit a stump or two in Inks, and some logs/underwater trees on the Pedernales River, and never had a leak.. It's a Tracker and love it, but with changes to the hull materials I can't vouch for todays models. BTW..It still has some of your pond mud on it..LOL
I believe they changed from 5086 to 5052 and went from .125 down to .090 and .100 thickness. 5052 is more resistant to corrosion.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #37
BrandonA
Pope & Young

One thing this boat will be used primarily in our 15 acre lake and maybe a handful of times out of the year in the river. The big motor will only be used to load the boat and when on the river. Trolling motor will be used vast majority of people he time. I doubt this rig would ever see any kind of big water
Old 01-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #38
Gom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freestone Counties

I have had my Tracker since 2001 and except for normal maintanance, never, ever had a problem with it. Either I have been lucky or their quality has slipped. A Tracker would be my first choice again. In fact, Because of bad knees slowing me down from stepping up and down on decks, if I ever gave up my Tracker, it would only be to use as trade in for a Tracker Pontoon.
Gom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #39
Jeffr0
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1 View Post
X2. I had a tracker for years and bounced all over Toledo bend. Eventually, I upgraded to a more stable fiberglass boat. The tracker served my family well for years building memories.
Jeffr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #40
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada
Default To those who have bought Tracker Boats question for you...

Quote:
Im taking all this in, but that being said that , I often want wonder a lot about expectations vs realistic performance.

Do your research. I did last year and went with an aluminum Ranger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #41
Radar
Eight Point

I bought a new 1860 MVX-CC in 2013. I really like the boat as it works good for river fishing and lake fishing if you use common sense. I have a removable down rigger set up for it and also have removable rod holders. I take care of it but it has a few battle scars and such.Attachment 851215Attachment 851219

Last edited by Radar; 04-21-2017 at 09:46 PM..
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #42
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Buy an Xpress aluminum boat and be done with it
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 AM   #43
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Lowe, Xpress or Sea Ark are waaaaay better boats and about the same money or just a little more... That's why I like my GoDevil so much. .125 ga aluminum throughout the entire boat and built like a tank....
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #44
clintb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke county

I came close to buying one once but never did. After reading all these post about troubles I'm sure glad I bought a Champion.
clintb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #45
Radar
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
Lowe, Xpress or Sea Ark are waaaaay better boats and about the same money or just a little more... That's why I like my GoDevil so much. .125 ga aluminum throughout the entire boat and built like a tank....
I looked at the Sea Ark and would say they are the top aluminum boat out there. G3 is nice too. When I was looking, Cabelas was where I stopped first and their salesman said the hulls had been splitting on some Lowe models and Lowe would replace the hull for free.
I think the OP is wanting a utility boat for rivers or a 15 acre lake so price may be a factor as well.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #46
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

If hull thickness is not .125" move on and find one that is.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #47
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell county/Fort hood/Paducah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I looked at the Sea Ark and would say they are the top aluminum boat out there. G3 is nice too. When I was looking, Cabelas was where I stopped first and their salesman said the hulls had been splitting on some Lowe models and Lowe would replace the hull for free.
I think the OP is wanting a utility boat for rivers or a 15 acre lake so price may be a factor as well.
Lowe will replace it for free or fix it? I know my Lowe had no warranty because I was not the original owner.. most of these companies that have "life time warranty" are to the original owner..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #48
SCREAMINREELS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Never owned one but a friend has one, actually a really good looking fishing boat 18 foot I believe but his has cracked as well. Surprised reading through all these thought his was an isolated incident. He had it fixed locally. I've owned 2 aluminum boats. Both were allwelds and abused pretty hard. I know they never had an issue. Think they're more money but could find a used one cheaper then a new grizzly
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #49
Radar
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
Lowe will replace it for free or fix it? I know my Lowe had no warranty because I was not the original owner.. most of these companies that have "life time warranty" are to the original owner..
I never inquired after he told me that, pretty much made my mind up to move on.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #50
duckmanep
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I did structural warranty repair work for Tracker for two years for the 5 state region. Every thing from re-carpets (some because one of a material buyer thought he'd save the company some money buying cheaper carpet that didn't even last a year in the showroom), to hull structure on all lines, to deck replacements on the Grizz line, transom replacements on all lines, to pontoon and deck change outs on their biggest party barges, and much more. I'd advise finding another brand.
Can't get much better of a response than that.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top