Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > It's All About the Video

Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #51
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by horns07 View Post
DSLR (and mirrorless) poses many challenges, especially for self-filmed hunts. I'm going to do a separate video on choosing the most important features for self filming hunts. DSLR vs camcorder and importance (or lack thereof) of 4K vs 1080 are definite talking points.

As for lenses, I think 70-200 is good for bowhunting ranges (20-30 yards). Inside of 20, you can get away with a little shorter (especially on cropped sensors) but outside of about 50 yards even the 200mm starts feeling a little short.

Thanks for all the comments and questions! Keep them coming...They give me additional ideas for content!

Thanks. I will be looking forward to that video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Do you already have a DSLR? They can definitely produce fantastic results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #52
horns07
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE New Mexico, Robert Lee

Do you already have a DSLR? They can definitely produce fantastic results.[/quote]

No not yet. I just started doing a little research on them. And trying to figure out what all will be needed. I like the versatility in using a DSLR VS. a standard video camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
horns07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #53
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Guided Elk hunts in Colo to hogs in Texas

I'd look at an 18mm or even a 14mm lens that is fairly fast like a 1.8f. These will allow you to film "arms length". The other thing to consider is getting away from auto focus/app settings on your cam. Get a manual lens and use the focus assist and then you'll be much happier with the results. The problem with 4k or even 2k is the sharpness that these cameras want. If you don't reach that then your image will suffer.

I just finished filming for a week with a high end show that we used the A7Sii and the gh4. I have to say the GH4 is much much better quality image. HOwever the A7 is much better at low light. But do you really need to film after dusk on a hunting show? If thats the case go buy Thermal. I'd set up lens on one camera for grab and go and then set up the other camera with different len. Also, look into some older Nikon glass, you will find some amazing glass for half the price.
HdFilmmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #54
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Quote:
Do you already have a DSLR? They can definitely produce fantastic results.

No not yet. I just started doing a little research on them. And trying to figure out what all will be needed. I like the versatility in using a DSLR VS. a standard video camera.

If you can set up a dslr with a shoulder rig and have someone shoot with you then they are fine in the field. But if you're doing the solo thing get a JVC, Panasonic or if you have too Sony Camcorder. They usually have a sturdy handle on top, xlr inputs for your lav, setting for diff scenes and are easy to use.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #55
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Thanks. I will be looking forward to that video

Do you already have a DSLR? They can definitely produce fantastic results.[/quote]

DSLR is for when you have TIME to set up for a shot.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #56
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
I'd look at an 18mm or even a 14mm lens that is fairly fast like a 1.8f. These will allow you to film "arms length". The other thing to consider is getting away from auto focus/app settings on your cam. Get a manual lens and use the focus assist and then you'll be much happier with the results. The problem with 4k or even 2k is the sharpness that these cameras want. If you don't reach that then your image will suffer.

I just finished filming for a week with a high end show that we used the A7Sii and the gh4. I have to say the GH4 is much much better quality image. HOwever the A7 is much better at low light. But do you really need to film after dusk on a hunting show? If thats the case go buy Thermal. I'd set up lens on one camera for grab and go and then set up the other camera with different len. Also, look into some older Nikon glass, you will find some amazing glass for half the price.

Good stuff!

I shoot manual focus for everything except the first person stuff. I definitely need a wide angle for that, and manual legacy lens is probably a good option. I have a couple of Minolta MD lenses (35/2.8, 50/1.7) that I use on occasion, but of course they don't help with shooting ultra wide.

I considered the GH4 long before I opted for the Sony. From the reviews I've seen, better image quality is debatable, but the GH4 is abhorrent in low light (unusable beyond 6400 ISO). The low light capability, 120fps at 1080, full frame 4K (GH4 is 2.3x crop) when needed, ability to adapt my Canon glass and legacy lenses, and exceptional dynamic range was enough to push me to the Sony platform (although I'm hoping they fix some deficiencies in future iterations.) It was the low light capability that attracted me to the A7s, but it is far from a one trick pony (as would be a Thermal). Much of the camp "scenes" are shot in very low light environments. For my requirements, I think the A7sii, all factors considered, is a superior camera to the GH4 (or even the newly released 5D mkiv).

The key consideration for me (and most of my "audience" here) is that I'm not producing a "high end" hunting show, but rather mostly YouTube and web content in more of a run and gun, self filmed in a "vlog" or documentary style. It's mostly unscripted with a goal of reality and spontaneity over a scripted, overly produced story that is often more staged than developed naturally (and frequently produced more for advertisers than for consumers.)

In Video Journal videos, like the "Hunting Camp" series, taking time to set up would (more often than not) mean missing the moment. That said, I'm still learning what works and what doesn't, and hopefully continuing to improve. I'm no expert, just a student that enjoys the learning labs!

Thanks for your input and feedback!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #57
Michael
Administrator

BTW, I do have/rent/use lights, stands, rigs, jibs, dollies, etc. for occasional freelance customer work where a more professionally produced product is the goal. I didn't invest a "few" thousand dollars in equipment SOLELY for uncompensated YouTube vids (although I did earn $0.09 in December!

Old 02-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #58
Oz_Ag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado & Crockett Counties

Another great vid Michael! I'm going to get me one of those OSMO camera setups. I got a lot of good reverse angle footage the past 2 seasons, but this would make it much easier and better.
Oz_Ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #59
horns07
Ten Point

Quote:

The reason I'm sold on a DSLR so much is for the versatility. I really don't want to haul 2 cameras around while hunting. One to take pictures the other to video with. Most of my hunts will be either with someone or setup in a blind. So set up I don't think will be a problem. I should also say I'm like Michael all my stuff will be for my enjoyment and some YouTube stuff.

So for the big question if you had 1000-1200 to spend on a setup what would it be? I know that's not a lot for a good camera setup but it's what I will be working with. I've been looking at the Nikon 5600. But I'll be honest I'm not real familiar with the DSLR setup and what all you need to look for in a camera. This will be a learning step. Thanks for y alls help.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #60
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Good stuff!

I shoot manual focus for everything except the first person stuff. I definitely need a wide angle for that, and manual legacy lens is probably a good option. I have a couple of Minolta MD lenses (35/2.8, 50/1.7) that I use on occasion, but of course they don't help with shooting ultra wide.

I considered the GH4 long before I opted for the Sony. From the reviews I've seen, better image quality is debatable, but the GH4 is abhorrent in low light (unusable beyond 6400 ISO). The low light capability, 120fps at 1080, full frame 4K (GH4 is 2.3x crop) when needed, ability to adapt my Canon glass and legacy lenses, and exceptional dynamic range was enough to push me to the Sony platform (although I'm hoping they fix some deficiencies in future iterations.) It was the low light capability that attracted me to the A7s, but it is far from a one trick pony (as would be a Thermal). Much of the camp "scenes" are shot in very low light environments. For my requirements, I think the A7sii, all factors considered, is a superior camera to the GH4 (or even the newly released 5D mkiv).

The key consideration for me (and most of my "audience" here) is that I'm not producing a "high end" hunting show, but rather mostly YouTube and web content in more of a run and gun, self filmed in a "vlog" or documentary style. It's mostly unscripted with a goal of reality and spontaneity over a scripted, overly produced story that is often more staged than developed naturally (and frequently produced more for advertisers than for consumers.)

In Video Journal videos, like the "Hunting Camp" series, taking time to set up would (more often than not) mean missing the moment. That said, I'm still learning what works and what doesn't, and hopefully continuing to improve. I'm no expert, just a student that enjoys the learning labs!

Thanks for your input and feedback!
The other cool thing about shooting in 4k that people forget about is the ability to "punch in". Taking footage into an editor and zooming in on your video is doable in 4k not so much in 1080. That is if you do any post to your vids.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #61
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Quote:
The reason I'm sold on a DSLR so much is for the versatility. I really don't want to haul 2 cameras around while hunting. One to take pictures the other to video with. Most of my hunts will be either with someone or setup in a blind. So set up I don't think will be a problem. I should also say I'm like Michael all my stuff will be for my enjoyment and some YouTube stuff.

So for the big question if you had 1000-1200 to spend on a setup what would it be? I know that's not a lot for a good camera setup but it's what I will be working with. I've been looking at the Nikon 5600. But I'll be honest I'm not real familiar with the DSLR setup and what all you need to look for in a camera. This will be a learning step. Thanks for y alls help.

Nikons make a really good product. A lot of people don't know that Nikon were the first to do video on dslrs, they just didn't advertise it like Canon. If you want a one and done type of camera then look at any of the camcorders that shoot in 1080p and most if now all will allow you to take stills while shooting.

If you're going the dslr route then get the Nikon with the Tokina 11-16. It's a slightly costly lens but is cheaper then then Nikon $1,100 11-16. lol I wouldn't buy a kit lens unless the cost is the same. Usually can buy camera body only and then invest in one other decent lens like the Tokina. https://youtu.be/y1JGQ8TtEO0
Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #62
horns07
Ten Point

Default Video Equipment I Use for Self-Filmed Hunts - TBH Video Journal 27

[quote=HdFilmmaker;12216233]Nikons make a really good product. A lot of people don't know that Nikon were the first to do video on dslrs, they just didn't advertise it like Canon. If you want a one and done type of camera then look at any of the camcorders that shoot in 1080p and most if now all will allow you to take stills while shooting.

If you're going the dslr route then get the Nikon with the Tokina 11-16. It's a slightly costly lens but is cheaper then then Nikon $1,100 11-16. lol I wouldn't buy a kit lens unless the cost is the same. Usually can buy camera body only and then invest in one other decent lens like the Tokina.

Awesome thanks. That's a awesome video to. What Nikon do you suggest? If I go the Nikon route.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #63
Michael
Administrator

Default Video Equipment I Use for Self-Filmed Hunts - TBH Video Journal 27

Quote:
The other cool thing about shooting in 4k that people forget about is the ability to "punch in". Taking footage into an editor and zooming in on your video is doable in 4k not so much in 1080. That is if you do any post to your vids.

Absolutely! If you have the horses to handle 4K editing, it's fantastic! I filmed much of my "Drill One at 33" video last year in 4K and was able to punch in and also add camera "motion" to a self filmed, static shot (A lot of people were intrigued at how I was able to "pan" my reverse angle GoPro to follow the fleeing deer immediately after the shot! ) Most of that was filmed with my wife's Panasonic camcorder since my Canon was in the shop for repair.

I just think 4k should be low on the list of priorities when evaluating camera features for filming hunts for web delivery, especially for anybody on a limited budget that likely won't ever use the camera for paid work. Low light capability, optical zoom, quality LCD/viewfinder, good autofocus, sensor size/quality, frame rate options, wi-fi (for me) and other features would be higher on my priority list than 4K. That said, I love having 4K on my Sony, Osmo, Hero 4 and wife's Panny!

Old 02-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #64
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Nikons make a really good product. A lot of people don't know that Nikon were the first to do video on dslrs, they just didn't advertise it like Canon. If you want a one and done type of camera then look at any of the camcorders that shoot in 1080p and most if now all will allow you to take stills while shooting.

If you're going the dslr route then get the Nikon with the Tokina 11-16. It's a slightly costly lens but is cheaper then then Nikon $1,100 11-16. lol I wouldn't buy a kit lens unless the cost is the same. Usually can buy camera body only and then invest in one other decent lens like the Tokina. https://youtu.be/y1JGQ8TtEO0

I have this lens in EF mount and it's a fantastic lens. It's for APS-C sensor, but will work at the longer end in full frame (or I can switch the Sony to APS-C mode.) Thanks for the reminder that I need to spend a little more time with that lens!

Old 02-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #65
Tacuache
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for sharing. Awesome information.
Tacuache is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #66
Problem Child
Ten Point

Hunt In: Santa Fe
Default Viedo equipment I use for self hunts

great video with a lot of info.
Problem Child is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #67
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Awesome thanks. That's a awesome video to. What Nikon do you suggest? If I go the Nikon route.

Nikon, I'd look at the D750. If budget might be an issue then look at the D610 it has a full frame sensor like the 750. The D750 has some of the best sensor pixel on any camera. Your images will blow you away.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #68
Problem Child
Ten Point

i cant wait to see your review on the Sony a7sii. im particularly intersted in the high iso and low light video recording. i would also like to hear your recommendatioms on lens for low low light videoing......other lens i was thinking about. not for low light situations was the FE 70 - 300 mm F4.5 - 5.6 G OSS and the EPZ 18 - 105 mm F4 G OSS.

also had my eye on the new Sony RX 10 III but i dont think it would take the low low light video im looking for for hog hunting under a red light. your thoughts ??????

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android
Old 02-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #69
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problem Child View Post
i cant wait to see your review on the Sony a7sii. im particularly intersted in the high iso and low light video recording. i would also like to hear your recommendatioms on lens for low low light videoing......other lens i was thinking about. not for low light situations was the FE 70 - 300 mm F4.5 - 5.6 G OSS and the EPZ 18 - 105 mm F4 G OSS.

also had my eye on the new Sony RX 10 III but i dont think it would take the low low light video im looking for for hog hunting under a red light. your thoughts ??????

I'm not really familiar RX10 series. It appears to be a fixed lens camera with large aperture (f2.8) lens. I'm not sure how the sensor handles low light.

Generally, the larger the aperture (smaller f-stop number) the better light gathering capability. Because of the usable ISO range on the A7s cameras, you can conceivably get away with slightly narrower aperture f4 instead of f2.8, for example) but faster is obviously better when it comes to low light. I also prefer a fixed aperture over the entire focal length rather than variable.

Zoom ranges will depend on your usage. If you're filming inside normal bow ranges, a shorter zoom will work in most cases. If you're wanting to get good video or photos at a longer distance, then you'll want a lens capable of reaching out a little farther.

I've only tested my A7sii a couple of times with the red light, but it (with 24-70/4) handled it well. I was able to crank up the ISO to focus on the hog without the light (actually I couldn't see it with my eye!) and then back it back down for the red light.

Here is a video illustrating it that I took a few days after I purchased the camera.

http://youtu.be/-rtGcMPOcfY

Old 02-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #70
Problem Child
Ten Point

that is amazing video with the lighting you had. im liking the a7s ii more with every review i see about it. it's great to have some one like you who uses the camera much the same as i would and be able to see your reviews. keep up the good work.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #71
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County

I found one of your pictures you left out of the thread.. All seriousness, you have the camera scene covered. Some of the best stuff I have seen. Having knee surgery gives you alot of time to spend useless amount of time on this kind of stuff..

Name:  Killing tree.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  66.5 KB
Krivoman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #72
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krivoman View Post
I found one of your pictures you left out of the thread.. All seriousness, you have the camera scene covered. Some of the best stuff I have seen. Having knee surgery gives you alot of time to spend useless amount of time on this kind of stuff..

Attachment 842970
LOL! Nice! The next edition will include a cameo of a hunter that shot a buck from a Krivoblind!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #73
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County

outstanding. I was thinking how far we have come in cam game from vhs/ 8mm mini dv etc. you have always had more toys than the rest. I do like how well your still camera works for video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Krivoman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 03:48 AM   #74
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Great thread Michael, may be on my list of stuff for next year.
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top