Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #51
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

Wow that's crazy. Hopefully I can find a spot tomorrow. My son shot his rifle a few time and said he's ready for a big pig.

How were the mosquitos??? I spent like $70 at Wally World on mosquito repellant today.
yanta61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #52
Thumper
Pope & Young

What skeeters?

There's hardly any this year. Didn't even turn on the Thermacell this evening or use any spray repellant.
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #53
yanta61
Ten Point

Night and day difference on the mosquitos compared to the last time I hunted here. We haven't really seen anything so far. We will be going back home today after the hunt. Need to try and find a light weight 2 person stand for next time. Some my son and I can sit in comfortly.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #54
Ranch_Dog
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Dewitt County

Hey guys & gals, new guy here and not a bowhunter anymore due to shoulder injuries but this is about the only place that I have found info on Aransas over the last several years. I've hunted since the first Archery hunt and then gun hunts. I started hunting Laguna Atascosa in 1975 and favored that country over Aransas, plus I was living in Harlingen. Funny, but at that time Aransas was hands down a better deer hunting place but over the course of time that switched. Now, if I don't get LA or the LRGV system, I permit up for Aransas but haven't hunted here since 2011.

I took a newby to the refuge, my neighbor, for the rifle hunt as he was interested. We showed up to scout at 8:30 rather than sit in line, still a few lined up when we pulled in but within 5 to 10 minutes we were in. Went straight to where we wanted to hunt without any others marking ahead of us and setup.

Saturday Morning at first light he killed a spike, not really a spike, the deer grew main beams with about a 11" spread but nothing off of them and was 2 years old. I saw a large boar hog. After a noon break he saw a large doe come out and watch me walk to my stand which is 550 yards away. That was it. 12 deer on the board when we left, all bucks but one doe.

Yesterday morning at sunrise, he shot a large boar, and didn't see anything else the remainder of the day. I saw a large boar about 4 pm. I haven't seen a deer yet other than on the drive in. 14 deer on the board Sunday night when we went through the exit with two of that total does. There were about five trucks behind us in the line so that might of changed but we did not hear a shot yesterday evening.

We are sitting in popups and as reported the skeeters are light, I walk 1216 yards to my spot and haven't seen a snake yet. It is very dry, all the low spots have dried up where we are at. We took today off so that we don't get burnt out and then will hit it through the end.
Ranch_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #55
yanta61
Ten Point

Nice.... We didn't see anything all weekend and had a hard time finding a place to set up the pop up were we could see further than 30 yds.

We will try again on the Dec hunt... We will either have to find some type of stand or try and get there early enough to get a spot in the burnt out area. where we can see a little further.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #56
Ranch_Dog
Nubbin' Buck

My friend is on a bit of a rise and can see to shoot about 350 yards in two directions. The buck and hog where at about 100 yards. I'm on another high point and can shoot about 70 to 100 yards in two directions. We talked about using tripods but the mosquitoes can be an issue and I had a leg collapse suddenly in the sand. Out of the blue after two days, it shifted, sinking about 18" to 24" and the stand fell over. I landed on my feet, then my butt and was okay. It was a 15' Texas Hunter aluminum tripod. The tripod did not break or fail, the ground did. I figured the sand crabs wanted me!

We are using large popup blinds that have floors, totally sealed. It really makes it nice.

Is there any others here that hunted Aransas the first year? Trying to remember exactly what year that was.

Alot sure has changed on this property since then. I get about a 5 year span snapshot of the country and it never seems that any change has been for the good. I found mention of a 2013 deer survey giving 1 deer per 43 acres.

Anyone know why TPWD didn't take this property into the public hunting system as they did the other NWR properties? Just kind of curious.

I see I have a similar username as a long time member here, sorry dude, but I will only be posting about the Aransas, LA, & LRGV NWR rifle hunts.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #57
Ranch_Dog
Nubbin' Buck

Here is an update after the close of the 1st rifle hunt. My hunting partner and I left around noon on the last day so the kill board might have a few more deer than posted. I did not see a deer, he killed a spike and saw a doe. No more deer were seen while hunting.

Sure seems like a lot of young bucks being dropped. I saw most up through one of the eights and nothing was over 2 years old. I did not see the 11 but was told that it was a "small rack with a lot of odd points". If a member killed it I would like to see a picture of it.

Concerning the feral hogs. The Refuge is doing everything it can to eliminate them which is good for the deer; however, their writing of the rules suggests that they need to be brought to the check station vs. the way the rules are written for the Laguna Atascosa refuge. As it turns out, you can leave them lay. In fact there is a drawing for a $100 Academy gift certificate from all the hogs reported at the Check Station by permit holders. All you need to report your hog kill is the tail. We passed a lot of hogs as we were just too far from the truck to tote them in.

Concerning the application for a permit, a change is in the wind for 2017.

The refuge would really like to get comments back as soon as you can concerning the proposed change. This is just my take on it from talking to several of the Staff and "Friends"; this is a hard hunt that is attended by a very specific group, a group that comes from the general area that realizes what they face on this peninsula. The TPWD public drawings will change this completely. If you want to keep it more or less local, say something.

I have a rule of "halves" for the refuge that I've kept in my head concerning the gun hunts, haven't attended a bow hunt in a very long time. That rule is that each day of the hunt drops attendance in half. In other words; 100, 50, 25, 13. This hunt started with only 80 in attendance but followed the numbers. I suspect that outsiders wandering in from the TPWD draw hunters will cause the 2nd day drop will be even greater especially if it is not a hunter friendly year; mosquitoes, snakes, gators and low visibility. We already know that the deer density is low and a lot of Wildlife Management Area hunters are not going to realize just how low densities can be.

Hope any members that attend the 2nd and 3rd Rifle hunts will give us a report!
Old 11-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #58
yanta61
Ten Point

I hope they dont do the TPWD draw and just leave it like it was this year. TPWD put a minimum age of 9 on the youth. The Aransas hunt was the only hunt I could fine where they would let me 7 yrs son hunt.

Guess I'll shoot them an email.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #59
Thumper
Pope & Young

The refuge is still going to run the hunt, the state is just doing the drawing. I'm pretty sure your son still gets to hunt, if drawn.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #60
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
The refuge is still going to run the hunt, the state is just doing the drawing. I'm pretty sure your son still gets to hunt, if drawn.
All I know is the min age is 8 on all the TPWD hunts and 9 on the other NWR in the state draw system
Old 11-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #61
Ranch_Dog
Nubbin' Buck

yanta61, I'm looking forward to your report from that last week. I do hope that everyone that has a opinion will voice it. Kind of keeps big brother from making the choice without us.

If it goes to TPWD, I've hunted Aransas for the last time. I would not want it to trump any of the other hunts that I apply for.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #62
Thumper
Pope & Young

Ranch Dog the choice has already been made, the feds do not want to be troubled with doing the work it takes to sell the permits.

An issue we need addressed is with the NWR drawings the feds still run their hunts so there's no provisions for standby hunters when permitted hunters do not show up to hunt. The feds do not want to do the work to sell permits, this is why they're turning the drawings over to TPWD in the first place.

Last edited by Thumper; 11-10-2016 at 04:29 PM..
Old 11-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #63
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch_Dog View Post
Here is an update after the close of the 1st rifle hunt. My hunting partner and I left around noon on the last day so the kill board might have a few more deer than posted. I did not see a deer, he killed a spike and saw a doe. No more deer were seen while hunting.

Hope any members that attend the 2nd and 3rd Rifle hunts will give us a report!
There were still a handful of hunters still out when I left Wed. Two bucks had been added to the board. A spike and a 1Opt. Prettty good 1Opt.

There sure were a lot of young bucks shot on this hunt, like 9O% of them were 1.5 years old. SMH

I saw 4 different 1.5yr bucks and two small young 8pts, held off looking for something better and did not shoot a deer.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #64
Ranch_Dog
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for the info. Yes, that is a nice 10. Yeah, same SMH from my point of view on the young bucks but I also understand that many won't have another opportunity for venison although a case could be made for filling the bed of your truck with hogs.

I wanted to ask about any experience with the later hunts but for me it is a bit of a mute point in that it will fall into the TPWD drawing system.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #65
Timemachine
Eight Point

Hunt In: SE & SW Texas

Now it has 16 days to calm down and then it is my turn. See you Rifle #2 guys then.
Timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #66
lagunaduck
Four Point

Thumper, I will be attending the second hunt in a few days and want to fill the freezer with pork. Do you have any advice? Sit on a tripod by trails, ponds, gas easements,... or walk and spot? I used to hunt the bow hunt, but it has been years. I harvested a buck and doe, but never saw hogs. I know there are a lot there, but never found them. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's too bad that Aransas is going to the drawing system. I live closer to Laguna Atascosa and hunted it for years. Filled my freezer with pork from there. This was the first the year that I was not able to hunt there. Not my doing... I applied and didn't get picked. Local folks at Aransas who are used to buying a permit (whether archery or rifle) and have a guaranteed place to hunt are in for a shock Too bad. I am sure that it is too late to alter any decision, but who do I email to voice my disappointment?
lagunaduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #67
Timemachine
Eight Point

Heading out bright and early Friday morning.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #68
yanta61
Ten Point

any update from the second rifle hunt...
Old 11-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #69
Timemachine
Eight Point

It was HOT, it was windy, Mosquitos were absolutely horrid. Number of kills was way down. I came home empty handed.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #70
hogdaddy
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: where ever

i'm thinking the lack of posts pretty well says it all. never saw a deer while hunting.

skeeters were horrid for most places, basically average for there. felt lucky to get out with two flat tires, two pigs and a pretty good percentage of my blood.

better than holding down the couch but yeah there are easier hunts.
hogdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #71
Thumper
Pope & Young

You're right about there being easier hunts!

Congrats on the two hogs Barney.

Any reports on the final kill numbers?
Old 12-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #72
hogdaddy
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: where ever

thanks Chris no hard count came out last trip w 2nd tire going back down spitting fixaflat gave pig to my new best friend that got me out of a jam and hauled to Tivolie got tire fixed

aprox ct 12 bucks 3does dozen pigs atleast as of wed 10:00 am

one 10 pt very mature prob pushing 130 in.
you take what she gives you and be happy.
hogdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #73
Timemachine
Eight Point

I have a permit for the third hunt starting next Saturday but having trouble talking myself into going. .......sigh......
Old 12-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #74
denowt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co/public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch_Dog View Post
If it goes to TPWD, I've hunted Aransas for the last time. I would not want it to trump any of the other hunts that I apply for.
What do you mean by "trump any of the other hunts that I apply for"?
denowt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #75
Ranch_Dog
Nubbin' Buck

In that category are the other Refuge hunts: Laguna Atascosa and the two in the Lower Rio Grande System. I wouldn't apply for the Aransas because I would hate to be pulled for it over the other three which are much better hunts.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #76
Thumper
Pope & Young

Here's a buck taken off Hagerman Hunt #3. Grayson co has been archery only for a good number of years. Not uncommon kill for Hagerman.
Attached Images

Last edited by Thumper; 12-05-2016 at 09:10 PM..
Old 12-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #77
Ranch_Dog
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timemachine View Post
I have a permit for the third hunt starting next Saturday but having trouble talking myself into going. .......sigh......
Hey, it might be the weekend. Hope you go, I wish you the best success, and look forward to your report.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #78
Ranch_Dog
Nubbin' Buck

I'm thinking about driving over to Aransas Wednesday afternoon just to get a picture of board to see how this late hunt goes. It is about an hour drive for me. Weather sure has been about right. Tried to talk my neighbor into this hunt but he wanted the first hunt.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #79
Lovnlivnnalaska
Nubbin' Buck

When we left Sunday evening, there had been 5 bucks, 3 does, and 7 hogs taken. There were still many hunters out when we came in. Unfortunately, we left with nothing.
Lovnlivnnalaska is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #80
Ranch_Dog
Nubbin' Buck

Oooh, kind of slow but I sure appreciate the post.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:27 AM   #81
Thumper
Pope & Young

Last week a controlled burn got out of control and a large portion of the point was scorched. Norther came in and the winds switched, flames 100' high, typical scorched earth policy, oak motts are gone. Fire jumped all fire breaks. SMH

Picture of the point across Saint Charles Bay.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #82
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Dang!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 06:24 AM   #83
Timemachine
Eight Point

Well, the grass areas were too high to get a decent hunt this past season but DANG...

Gonna miss the trees !