No announcement yet.

Kenai Alaska suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We flew into Anchorage. Rented a car and drove 3-4 hours to the kenai. Stayed with our guide buddy Ian flannery. Fin & feather. Don't know the cost as he doesn't charge us. Awesome time !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hope you reciprocate by putting him up down here when it is winter up there. LOL. That's a great buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy View Post

We flew into Anchorage. Rented a car and drove 3-4 hours to the kenai. Stayed with our guide buddy Ian flannery. Fin & feather. Don't know the cost as he doesn't charge us. Awesome time !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      How fantastic is that. Hope you put him up at your place during those cold Alaska winters. LOL

Comment

Another FYI for you kerrbow-

DO NOT RENT car from airport! Get a taxi or uber to a rental car lot somewhere in anchorage, it will save you some money.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
          I will do that. I know what you mean about the post office. Like going to the dentist and waiting 45 mins. to get in.
          And then your turn (after being glared at by an ungrateful POS employee) takes all of 7 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            LOL

Vacationers have to pay per pound for processing, freezing, packaging etc. I looked it up and it added up. Still worth it IMO if taking home as check in luggage.
            Yeah, I know. When I worked at the processing plant we also offered processing (cleaning, freezing and packing) to sports fishermen. A lot of places will definitely stick it to you for that service. I believe my BIL will actually freeze and vac-pack for his customers if they ask and he just charges them like $1 per fish to cover the cost of the vac-bags. Typically because he'll be processing his own fish at the same time, so it's no big deal. It's definitely worth asking the guide if they'll do this. Especially if they are a private guide like my BIL.

Comment

How fantastic is that. Hope you put him up at your place during those cold Alaska winters. LOL
              he is actually hunting guide on the king ranch down here during the winter.

Comment

he is actually hunting guide on the king ranch down here during the winter.
                Wow, sounds like he is living the life of Reilly. Good for him.

Comment

I went last year.. Fished Homer for Halibut then the upper and middle Kenai for trout and Salmon... just a heads up on the Halibut. We hit It when the tides were wrong, they were swinging 30 feet from high to low... that meant we were using 5lbs of lead to get baits down. My left bicep hurt for two weeks... Also we were in a 30 foot boat with 6 others but the swells were 5-7 feet, and my female companion chummed the water most of the trip... Captain said the big fish hate the big tide swings so we caught lots of 30” fish...Being you are older, get the electric reel and you don’t set the hook like a normal fish with those things... in all honesty I would chase the big rainbows that time of year. Love love love It up there!!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Second run Reds right there! They are bigger than first run reds because they are a year older. Those look awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoot1 View Post
                      I went last year.. Fished Homer for Halibut then the upper and middle Kenai for trout and Salmon... just a heads up on the Halibut. We hit It when the tides were wrong, they were swinging 30 feet from high to low... that meant we were using 5lbs of lead to get baits down. My left bicep hurt for two weeks... Also we were in a 30 foot boat with 6 others but the swells were 5-7 feet, and my female companion chummed the water most of the trip... Captain said the big fish hate the big tide swings so we caught lots of 30” fish...Being you are older, get the electric reel and you don’t set the hook like a normal fish with those things... in all honesty I would chase the big rainbows that time of year. Love love love It up there!!
                      Heck I hurt for 3 days after a full day on the water down here throwing plugs. 5 lbs. is a lot of weight to bring up w/o a fish from 100 ft water. Sounds like more work than fun to me. Good advice, at my age I have trouble keeping my balance on solid ground much less 5-7 ft seas. LOL

Comment

Heck I hurt for 3 days after a full day on the water down here throwing plugs. 5 lbs. is a lot of weight to bring up w/o a fish from 100 ft water. Sounds like more work than fun to me. Good advice, at my age I have trouble keeping my balance on solid ground much less 5-7 ft seas. LOL
                        Go on a TBH tuna trip to get warmed up! We were catching blackfin down around 400 feet deep. As many as you could reel up. Most people needed breaks after one or two... Then when you hooked into a yellow fin you had no energy left LOL

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          Go on a TBH tuna trip to get warmed up! We were catching blackfin down around 400 feet deep. As many as you could reel up. Most people needed breaks after one or two... Then when you hooked into a yellow fin you had no energy left LOL
                          Now that is definitely a young man's fishing trip. One would be enough for this old man.

Comment

Working...
                          X