No announcement yet.

Kenai Alaska suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I absolutely hate halibut fishing because I get so sea sick once the boat stops. I'd recommend you get some Scopolamine patches or Dramamine if you're going out for halibut. It's been too many years since I've been up there to be able to offer any other advice that hasn't been given already.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
      I'm EXCITED for you folks! At 65 now, always been my dream to go there as well!! Have a BLAST and post pics so I can relish your trip and still dream of mine someday?!!
      Be glad to. Hopefully gonna take a real camera, not one of those cameras on my cell phone.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
        I absolutely hate halibut fishing because I get so sea sick once the boat stops. I'd recommend you get some Scopolamine patches or Dramamine if you're going out for halibut. It's been too many years since I've been up there to be able to offer any other advice that hasn't been given already.
        Never been seasick yet, but come pretty close. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
          I hear conflicting reports about the humpies being edible. Not so for the silvers.
          I won't even feed humpies to my dog! I fished commercially out of Kenai for years and worked in the processing plants from the time I was 14 all the way through college. Nasty friggin' fish!

Comment

Yep, limit is two...one under 28# and one any size if I remember correctly. Grayling are everywhere in Alaska and are easy to catch....humpies, are okay (at best) smoked...other than that, they make a lot of dog food out of them. Silvers are okay to eat but a blast to catch....Good luck and Congrats on 50 years!!!

Comment

I’ve been with Alaska Fish on with Gary and Darlene Kernan 3 times and always have a great time. https://www.alaskafishon.com. Just tell Darlene what you want and she will make it happen.
              I would recommend doing a halibut/ling cod combo. You will not regret it.

I would also recommend doing a fly out fishing trip to the west side of the Cook Inlet. There you can get 3 silvers per person and the Scenery is amazing.
              Last edited by mudjeremy; 05-08-2018, 01:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
                Ha! - Last time I went we lost an engine on the way OUT to Perl Island. Ended up fishing just off of Port Graham and we actually did ok. You didn't by chance go out with Big Bear did you?
                No, we were with O'fishial Charters.

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                I'm EXCITED for you folks! At 65 now, always been my dream to go there as well!! Have a BLAST and post pics so I can relish your trip and still dream of mine someday?!!
                Just pack up and go! I know it's harder than that. The only reason I went is because I had to be in Spokane. And it's not bad getting to Alaska once you're that far.

But Alaska can be done without spending a ton of money. We rented a 4 Runner and drove 1,350 miles. Denali isn't that costly and there's free hiking all over.

Comment

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
                  I won't even feed humpies to my dog! I fished commercially out of Kenai for years and worked in the processing plants from the time I was 14 all the way through college. Nasty friggin' fish!
                  If you get pinks from saltwater or fresh run in the rivers, they are very good. My son insisted that we cook one the last time that I was up there, and we all agreed that it was the best salmon we ate, and we had been having reds, kings, and silvers.

Comment

This is why I love the GS. So much great info. from such kind people willing to share. I regret not going sooner while I was still a young whipper-snapper.

Comment

If you get into some humpies, which will more than likely happen a time or two, their cavier is the best of the salmon species IMO. If you fish Resurrection creek by Seward for silvers you might also come across some chum's which are really fun to catch and pretty neat looking.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                        If you get pinks from saltwater or fresh run in the rivers, they are very good. My son insisted that we cook one the last time that I was up there, and we all agreed that it was the best salmon we ate, and we had been having reds, kings, and silvers.
                        I've had all different kinds of salmon from all over the state. Salt water, fresh water, early run, late run, grilled, broiled, smoked, raw you name it, I've had it. Salmon is my number one favorite fish (yes, even over halibut). Humpies are not meant for human consumption IMHO. But then again, I am a salmon snob. Don't even get me rolling on farmed raised salmon. I don't eat that either.

I do know a lot of folks that keep their humpies and eat them. Mostly smoked. Give me silvers, kings or reds all day, every day. I'm not keeping the humpies. Guess I worked in the business too long.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          If you get into some humpies, which will more than likely happen a time or two, their cavier is the best of the salmon species IMO. If you fish Resurrection creek by Seward for silvers you might also come across some chum's which are really fun to catch and pretty neat looking.
                          Yeah, I still haven't figured that one out. Funny thing about the humpies, the Japanese were paying next to nothing for the fish, but the roe from the females would be priced up there with the reds and sometimes even more. I would see times in the processing plant where we'd just take the roe from the humpies and have it processed and sold then trash the fish because the prices weren't worth the processing cost. Crazy.

Comment

We are going...

I will be there in late July. We want sockeye salmon and our guide from last time we went says that's a good time to go for them. We use rod-n-real charters out of Soldotna. We will go out of Ninilchik for Halibut. Last time we brought a ton of filets home.

Comment

Is it feasible to try and bring fish back with you. Do you pay the overpriced luggage fees from the airlines or just ship some back? How stout are the shipping boxes? Really dont want my fish to cost like $40 a pound you know.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
                                Is it feasible to try and bring fish back with you. Do you pay the overpriced luggage fees from the airlines or just ship some back? How stout are the shipping boxes? Really dont want my fish to cost like $40 a pound you know.
                                IMO the only way to get fish home is to tape up the ice chest and bring it home as check in luggage. Look up the shipping fees at places...You will think you entered the wrong data LOL It's stupid crazy high. Check in luggage isn't that bad.

I couldn't bring any fish home because I wasn't going home right away. Had to visit in-laws in another State on the way home....They mess up everything.

If you have too much fish when you get home let me know. I really want some salmon.

Comment

Working...
                                X