Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep catching!!

Comment

Got any pics of those giants y’all been catching?

Comment

I went in February for 5 days absolute blast and trip of a life time caught a few hundred fish more 5+ lbs than I could even count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok time for a longer write up... i don't have all pics yet cause lots on buddys phone. But here are some of it. Ill do it in mutiple post do day by day with my notes...

So these pics start with pics of seirra madres from the air,

the a pic of my first view of the West coast on ANYWHERE. Technically that is the sea of cortez not the passific.

Cocca Light... mecican diet coke, i have heard from.a buddy for YEARS that it is better than us diert coke... so first drink i had to try it... its deffinatly a little different. But not as different as i figured...

More ocean from the car...

First pic of mountains in the distance getting close...

Our room at Anglers Inn, rooms stayed cool if ypu kept bathroom door closed, no ac in that room.

Porch on our room and one of our guys gearing up for first afternoon.

A few pics of what lake looks like... it was LOW LOW LOW.

Picture of "the sleeping giant" from the dinner table...

Notes from first afternoon

Jacob big with 5.5, and most with 15. ribs for dinner... mostly power worm 25 total... robert caught several on spinnerbait on creekbend flat out on one tree.

Think guide kinda took us to get bit spots, and kinda gauge if we knew what we were doing...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok moving on... a few things i need to say... when you go. TAKE A DIGITAL SCALE. The guides are working for tips, they will... embelish size. I fishes with 2 guides this week, the first was pretty honest, the second i had to call out for big eyeing, he settled down after i weighed a few. So for anybody who doubts my weights, we weighed them on the same scales they use on major leauge fishing.

Also i suggest going as a group of at least 4, that way you have mutiple guides and can swap around some, inevitably one guide will be on them better than the others and you will get a better idea of good guides vs GREAT guides

Lastly if you go you need to realize that to really focus on bigs you probably are going to give up numbers... just how it works most of the time. My partner and caught 1/4 as many fish as some of the groups there, but i aint at Salto to catch 1lbers. We DESTROYED everybody on big fish... wasnt even close. We never went a day without a 35#+ best 5 and never went a session with less than 30#+ and those are scale weighed fish, NOT EYEBALLED. Cant tell you how many times i saw ppl in another boat catch a fat 3 and call it a 5... anyway back too the good stuff...

You wake up at 5, get ready and go to breakfast. Ommletes, pancakes, eggs however you want, ceral and other stuff if you want... the worlds HOTTEST coffee... holy cow that would scald leather...

Ok full day 1 morning here our my notes

Morning 1...Robert with most 25 fish, a 7.03, 6.70, 5.5. Jacob with 6.98, 15 fish... numbers on swim bait... SEVERAL 4-5 lbers. Mostly on jig in tree... 7.03 and 6.98 were within 20 feet of each other and both hit multipe times b4 hook up. Mine hit 3 times robs twice

Robert hooks onto a mack truck in THE BIG TREE. (Made my 8 and 9 look like a wimp the way it pulled). Never turned it, never saw it... strongest fish i have EVER seen... was there for a minute wrapped up in that tree but got off b4 we could get to it... (lost one over 8 there later and caught my 8 there later... pic of big tree is literally 2 mins b4 he got manhandled, just luck i took pic then)

You fish until 11, then go in to lunch and siesta, they tell you that we go back out a 3... we went back out at 2-230 cause we pushed a little

Day 1 afternoon notes

Afternoon of first full day... fished with jimmy... stuck "tree" that then swam off and straightend hook(was a GOOD fish wish i had at least seen it). Few small on swimmer... and chatter and spinner pretty slow, probably 15 total... went up right hand arm, caught 15 or so on crankbait, i went like 10 cast in a row at one point, jimmy 3 or 4 but one 5.5 several 4. Last spot bunch of nothing until i tie on buzzbait... had fish knock the heck out of it mutiple times... probably 10 blow ups 1 hook up... they would show themselves and jimmy clean them up with chatter caught one 6.25 came in a hair early... i thought, STEAK NIGHT!

Other boat had terrible afternoon... and then caught 10+ 6s in the last hour... bad thing, broke costas... tried to glue back together...

Note on big tree in pic... it looks kinda big... but puc does no justice... you cant wrap your arms around any of thoae branches and you can drive the boat INTO the center, and we did at one point.

I have lots more pics coming of fish, but buddy has to upload them sooo waiting on that...

Comment

Excellent!!!!

You can’t talk about Mexico without asking this question... safety wise how was it?

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                Excellent!!!!

You can’t talk about Mexico without asking this question... safety wise how was it?
                A non issue... i feel less safe in parts of dallas... you could FIND trouble im sure, but you can do that anywhere

These ppl know where their money comes from and treat you like royalty, you dont open doors, you dont carry your rods you dont grab a drink, they do it all for you.

Heck you gotta tell them to let you play with your fish or they will grab it and take it off for you every time haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                Last edited by catslayer; 05-26-2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Oh. My. Goodness. That looks awesome! Thanks for posting up this epic trip. After seeing this I think a trip to Old Mehico might be in order sooner rather than later. Congratulations on your catches.

Did you do any good on topwaters? Do you think you could do any good with a fly rod there?

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                    Oh. My. Goodness. That looks awesome! Thanks for posting up this epic trip. After seeing this I think a trip to Old Mehico might be in order sooner rather than later. Congratulations on your catches.

Did you do any good on topwaters? Do you think you could do any good with a fly rod there?
                    I only covered first day and a half, 3.5 more days to cover, at family event ill post more after... trying to get the rest of pics from buddy

We caught several on buzzbait, ill exspand more in a bit, caught them up to 8 on it, and a few on a chug bug

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by catslayer; 05-26-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Congrats and thanks for taking us along...

Comment

Ok Morning 2nd full day(wednesday)... lots of buzzbait bites, 30+... not many hooked up. Jacob lost one 8.5 at the boat. Robert lost one 6+ on buzz, after topwater jig in the trees. Caught several(5+) 5-6. Jumped off one 6+, robert loses one 8+. I caught one 9.25 NEW PB... 30ish fish total

Ok begining of the most epic day ever...

Afternoon 2nd full day...
                        7.38, 6.98, 6, 6, 8.39 best 5... robert dropped fg our 8s we SAW. Caught probably 30 fish... catching less than everybody #s wise. But MUCH better quality.

Robert caught a few on money minnow. I had 2 spinnerbait fish try to take the rod for me. Then went to new creek with huge trees... few small fish. Went to big creek bend flat near spinnerbait spot... then, 7.38 on money minnow. 6 on jig, some small fish... jig in good trees... 8.35 a few good fish. Went to cliff face up river... caught 10-15 fish up to 6... robert dropped a 8+ right at dark... best 5 for day 38... best 5 session 34.75

We went like 3 hours where if we set the hook it was 5.5 or bigger... buddy lost four 8+ during the day... he was frustrated... i had crazy day, 9.25, 8.39, 6.98, 6 and change and 6 and change. We should have had a 40+ pound best 5 but rob couldnt get anuthing big in. He actually caught more fish than me... lost track of 5.5- 6.5

Pic of my 8 on my buddies phone... will add when he sends it
                        lbers

Last edited by catslayer; 05-26-2018, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Morning last full day
                          7.18, 5.5, 5, 4.5, 4... fished with jimmy and gave up better guide... no good on topwater. Went to trees to early(sun not up enough) 2 bites... fished other trees on spinnerbait spot. Fished suicide bird trees(dead hanging comerant)... 7.18 on jig. Several 4 a 5... and several small fish... robert with three 7s this session in other boat And several 4s/5s

At lunch Robert walks me down to show me "normal"ish water level... we are van riding in the car over a mile to the water. You can BARELY see water in the background. Lake is really low...

Also pic looking back at anglers inn from the lake

Crazy things. You can see ruins of old village that is normally under water, when the lake is down the ranchers move cows onto the lamebed cause it grows grass. Cowboys use tarps to replace roof and walls where needed and move into ruins ov village... crazyness

Last full day afternoon... suuuuuck most of the day... no good jig fish, 10 or so jerkers... rob catches a 6.5 out of a tree... late 5 on jig for jimmy, rob hit a good wall in the last hour. Catch a dozen fish 4-6

I get get one buzzbait blow and jimmy hooks a 6 on the last spot...

Crazy that a day where i catch a 7 is a "bad day" but we wernt on the timing and wernt with the guide on the fish as much... fruuuustrated... but kinda get put in place when i realize 2/4 of us dont have one over 6... and i have 5 over 6.70 and a dozen more over 5.5... 6's and 7s running together in head BAD now sooo i kind of re oreient and we are good to go...

Lobster and 4 kinds of shrimp for dinner... cant breathe... 2 full

Last edited by catslayer; 05-26-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

That's some serious hawg hunting!

Comment

Morning last day... sad...

Robert 7, several 6s and 5s... a few little... 30+ pound limit all on chug bug topwater or squarebill... got out early...

Flight home uneventful, US customs took over an hour, it was a JOKE... got home, in bed by 930 cause i was BEAT.

I think i could only stay like maybe 2 weeks at a time, cause if i stayed longer i would kill my self from lack of sleep haha

Very very ready to go again, need a side gig to make a little extra $$$ so i can...

Picture exsplanation...

The big fish board... 8+ was our groups rule to write on there. Nobody in camp but me posted a fish while we were there, part of it was guide we had was most on them part i think part of the camp was not as avid fisherman and were just catching numbers

May have already posted but its next on my camera roll, they call the silhouette of those mountains the sleeping giant... its what you see coming in every night.

Bag of baits, we fished b4 flight until 8am, we joke that by the last day you know what they are eating, and you could fish out of a paper bag and leave all your gear but like 2 rods and your paoer sack of baits... well mine is plastic and i took 3 rods, but that is all i took for baits the last day in that ziplock haha

Next is the jig i caught every big fish on... my 9, my 8, a couple 7s and a BUNCH of 5s and 6s... the one next to it is a new jig of the same kind for reference what it STARTED life as

I have more pics comming at some point

Comment

You got a croc tan too!!!

Thank you for all the details. This is on the list.

Comment

Working...
                                X