Crystal creek lately???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crystal creek lately???

Anyone been lately? i'm booked for May7-10 and need any advice you have for hunting there. Especially curious if you saw any good blackbuck.

ttt

Comment

I have never been but I wish you lots of luck.

Comment

I am going in december I have heard good things about it so far.

Comment

I am curious. How did you do?

Comment

Upload some pics and let us know how it went

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
              I am curious. How did you do?
              Originally posted by rladner View Post
              Upload some pics and let us know how it went
              He can't- he's in camp.

Comment

Any luck????

Comment

results???

Comment

Ttt

Comment

I just got a pm from samsdad and he said he got a big hog with 4" cutters top and bottom. He said he also got a shot at a great audad but passed because he was after a blackbuck. He said he saw a ton of axis just never within shooting range. I am sure he will update this thread as soon as he gets a chance but I thought I would let you guys know what he told me.

Comment

Any new NEWS?

Comment

Sorry for ther late reply been pretty busy since the hunt. Overall i had a great time at Crystal Creek. the ranch is beautiful right on a flowing creek with a large pond for fishing. the camphouse is really nice with semi-private rooms and a couple of bathrooms.

Now for the hunt. The guide Scooter, is a character and a half. he knows this ranch like the back of his hand. He showed me several places to set up, and I chose a small waterhole on a road where there was lots of sign. It was 109 degrees the day I got there, so water was the key.
                          The first evening I saw LOTS of whitetail, and had some hogs come in just after dark. I unfortunately missed a gimme shot at 15 yards with my recurve, shooting over a nice boar.
                          The next morning more whitetails. They soon spooked because a bunch of auodad came in. I was tempted, but was looking for a blackbuck or axis and passed on a trophy at 20 yards. Bad mistake. After looking at pictures of them, I passed on a really nice audad, don;t know if I'll get that chance again.

That evening I switched spots , saw some blackbuck, but the buck was just too small with only 12" horns.

The next morning, I had a group of Sika come in, one of the HUGE, unfortunatly he was just starting to grow . He'll be a monster this fall.
                          That night again saw lots of whitetail, and just after dark a large group of hogs came in. One of them came into the same shooting lane i had missed the hog before, and i told myself to shoot low. I saw my lighted nock hit him pretty low, but i still thought I got some heart on what i though was a 70-90lb boar. It was cloudy so I couldn;t get a clear look even with the full moon. . Now comes the fun part.

I found a little blood and Scooter decided to get his dogs on the trail. He let the dogs off the leash, and the chase was on. I tried keeping up with Scooter and his dogs through the tick brush but that was an excercise in futility. I kept within 60 yards or so, and that was a small victory as Scooter and his dogs went through the brush like butter, and I have no idea how. After about 3/4 mile I heard a ruccus, as the dogs had caught the hog. The hog cornered then turned and ran another 1/4 mile or so and cornered again. Scooter jumped into the melee with his .22 rfevolver, and after a couple of loud POP's I caught up with him. He had put two in the brainpan of the now 200lb boar. I misjudged him a little My arrow had nicked the heart and he had two bullets in him and he was breathing his last....Or so we thought. Scooter told me to wait while he went to get the ntruck and his 17 & 19 year old grandsons.

While he was gone, the hog decided he wasn't quite through, and started to get up. I reached toward my pocket for my knife, and it had fallen off out during the chase. So I dimmed my flashlight and kept quiet. When Scooter got back I told him the hog was getting up, and wasn't happy, so Scotter pulled the .22 and tried to shoot it again, and the gun jammed. So he pulled his skinning knife, got in next to the hog, and stabbed it in the heart. Well the hog did not appreciate this at all, tried to cut Scooter, and charged us, as we were all in some thick brush it wasn't easy to move. We jumped out of the way and waited. The two boys however had made it the 100yards back to the truck in about 3 seconds We waited about 15 minutes and that old boar still wouldn;t give up the ghost. It took a couple whacks on the noggin with a tire iron to settle him down enough to drag him out of the brush. He was one tough mean old boar.

All in all I had a great hunt, and can;t say enough about Scooter and his dogs. They trailed that hog over a mile through the thickest brush you can imagine. I saw lots of game, Lots of deer, and hogs, just never got a shot at a Blackbuck or axis, and should have taken the shot on the audad
                          I'm definitly going back.
                          Attached Files

Comment

congrats on the hog. That's quit an experience.

Comment

That is a great story and it sound like a heck of a weekend. I can't wait until december.

Comment

Working...
                              X