Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #51
KC Huntin
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Yes KC Hunting, that is exactly the one I have. The ball head I have is a Bogen/Manfrotto 3262, but it is not the QR version you see a lot of if you google it. The ball head is working OK for me so far, but is probably the weakest link in the system. If I was buying one, I would go ahead and get a large and not medium rated ball head. Not that much more money in the grand scheme of things, but would be more solid. I may end up upgrading mine.

Well, I changed a picture in photobucket yesterday, now the TBH website won't let me go back into my post and update the link. So this is the picture that is missing from my earlier post...

So the ones I am looking at have the 3262 ball head

What's the number of the large rated ball head? And how much would it be to just change out the ball head?
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #52
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quail, Marilla

I don't know on that, you will just have to look around and see what you find. 3262 is what I had already, so I used it. If I was buying one now though I would find one rated for minimum 20 lbs, preferably 30+.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #53
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Huntin View Post
What's the number of the large rated ball head? And how much would it be to just change out the ball head?
Manfrotto Mod 168 Large Ball head
The head will run you $50-$60
FYI: it's got a 3/8 screw instead of 1/4", so you may need an adapter.

Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-11-2017 at 04:30 PM..
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #54
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX

In for a penny, in for a pound. Lol.

The Hog Saddle wouldn't work with the fluid head on my Manfrotto tripod. That was a bummer. Well, within a couple days I had gotten some great tips for putting clients on good deer and I splurged. I bought a PRST carbon fiber tripod (4.1 pounds) and a Sunwayfoto XB-52DL ball head that's only 3.5" tall and rated to 132 pounds. All this happened after I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with Josh Stabler (inventor) talking shooting. I'm a sucker for veterans that are passionate about shooting! Lol! Arrives by end of business tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #55
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quail, Marilla

Oh man, you are making me jealous with my po-boy setup...
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #56
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Oh man, you are making me jealous with my po-boy setup...

At least you're not a po-boy BECAUSE of your setup!! Lol

The saving grace is that I'll be able to deduct it as equipment cost. Small consolation though. I'm hoping it does arrive tomorrow and that I get a chance to test it on some management deer at a buddy's place this weekend. I'll post some pix, though.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #57
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Default Hog Saddle or Pig Saddle?

Well, the big brown truck arrived and brought goodies. Too bad I'm sick as a dog - posting this from the Dr's office. Not sure when I'm going to feel up to shooting but here's a couple pix of the new setup:

I think I'll be replacing the stock on that CTR - the shape is not very conducive to being held in a vice. Never really cared for that stock anyway so this may be the excuse to get a McMillan Game Warden for it.

I figure I'll do a review but should I start a new thread for that? It might be easier for people to find if I do a new one. What's the normal protocol?

Last edited by Horitexan; 01-13-2017 at 12:52 PM..
Old 01-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #58
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central Texas

That looks awesome. Yeah I would start a new thread.
35remington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #59
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

How did you get that in the doctors office?

Jmsck12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #60
tonyt79
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

I haven't shot with any of them but the reaper rest from kopfjager industries looks like it be more stable on the rifle.

tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #61
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
That looks awesome. Yeah I would start a new thread.

Ok. Once I've had a chance to do some shooting with it, and figure out what I like/don't like, I'll make a review thread. The tripod is awesome!

Old 01-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #62
Cowpolks-TR
Six Point

Hunt In: Where ever I get the chance

I got my hog saddle in yesterday. It is more expensive, but it will last forever. I have never seen the pig saddle in person but can see where it would have a bit of "flex" and would last a bit less.
Cowpolks-TR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #63
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt79 View Post

I haven't shot with any of them but the reaper rest from kopfjager industries looks like it be more stable on the rifle.

So far, I haven't done any shooting of either, either. Having spent a lot of time looking at tripod shooting systems, I can all but promise that the Hog Saddle and Sunwayfoto system will be more "stable" than the the Reaper Rest and it will be FAR smoother when panning around. I'll agree that the curved sides of the Reaper Rest look more conformed to the shape of an AR hand guard. The Hog Saddle was specifically designed for bolt guns, not ARs. A user may not need to torque down as much on the Reaper, with an AR platform, as a user with the Hog Saddle. However, it's not hard to lock the Hog Saddle down tight. The benefit of the Hog Saddle is that you can use a ball head of your choice, including ones that have infinitely adjustable tension adjustments, OR connect it directly to a tripod. This latter connection method is the most commonly used by military and LE snipers who need to make ELR shots.

Also, I question the stability of the way the vice system on the Reaper Rest vs the vice mechanism on the Hog Saddle.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Reaper Rest is a great system. I looked at it very hard and I may even get one down the road for calling, when I think long (200-300) shots are likely and I'm using an AR. It very likely has advantages in certain situations. But I'm convinced that the Hog Saddle is a far superior system for shooting at LR and ELR with a bolt gun. The only thing I didn't like with my CTR is the way it grabs that (what I think is flimsy) stock - I think it'd make it easy for ME to put pressure and cause contact between barrel and stock. This is more about the crappy Tikka stock than it is about the Hog Saddle. On other rifles, it grabs perfectly but I wanted to mention the one combination where I could envision a potential problem.

I was looking for something portable that would substitute for a shooting bench when me and the buddies are driving around the ranches we manage playing target games. While I like the Reaper Rest, I don't think it compares at longer range. Also, the Reaper isn't 100% American made. The fact that the Hog/Pig Saddle IS 100% American made by a former Scout Sniper, and that it's become standard issue for Marine Snipers and the most popular tripod mount with SOCOM snipers is a pretty amazing testimony as to its quality.

I would love to have someone with a Reaper Rest come out for some shooting - to truly compare the 2 systems, side by side. I had to make a choice and I made the one I did for the reasons I stated above. If I found a better system (i.e. Reaper Rest) I'd have ZERO problem switching. Maybe someone will take me up on the invite.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #64
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Would a manfrotto 116 fluid head work with pig saddle?
Would the heavy ball head be significantly better?

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #65
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
Would a manfrotto 116 fluid head work with pig saddle?
Would the heavy ball head be significantly better?

I'm no expert. It might. Can you measure the width of the fluid head at the top? All I can tell you is that my 501HDV would NOT work because the vise screw would hit part of the fluid head when I turned it. Ball heads are narrow and that small footprint allows the vise tensioning screw to rotate to tighten or loosen the vise. I'm sure there may be a fluid head out there that'd work but you'd really have to mate them in order to find out.

If you could fashion a spacer to go between the fluid head and the bottom of the Saddle, you could create the clearance needed to rotate the screw.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #66
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horitexan View Post
I'm no expert. It might. Can you measure the width of the fluid head at the top? All I can tell you is that my 501HDV would NOT work because the vise screw would hit part of the fluid head when I turned it. Ball heads are narrow and that small footprint allows the vise tensioning screw to rotate to tighten or loosen the vise. I'm sure there may be a fluid head out there that'd work but you'd really have to mate them in order to find out.

If you could fashion a spacer to go between the fluid head and the bottom of the Saddle, you could create the clearance needed to rotate the screw.

Great info thanks
Looks like I'll just break down and get a good ball head.

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #67
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
Great info thanks
Looks like I'll just break down and get a good ball head.

Heck, I'd try your ball head first and see if it worked. If it had worked with my fluid head, I would have shot it that way first.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:45 AM   #68
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horitexan View Post
So far, I haven't done any shooting of either, either. Having spent a lot of time looking at tripod shooting systems, I can all but promise that the Hog Saddle and Sunwayfoto system will be more "stable" than the the Reaper Rest and it will be FAR smoother when panning around. I'll agree that the curved sides of the Reaper Rest look more conformed to the shape of an AR hand guard. The Hog Saddle was specifically designed for bolt guns, not ARs. A user may not need to torque down as much on the Reaper, with an AR platform, as a user with the Hog Saddle. However, it's not hard to lock the Hog Saddle down tight. The benefit of the Hog Saddle is that you can use a ball head of your choice, including ones that have infinitely adjustable tension adjustments, OR connect it directly to a tripod. This latter connection method is the most commonly used by military and LE snipers who need to make ELR shots.

Also, I question the stability of the way the vice system on the Reaper Rest vs the vice mechanism on the Hog Saddle.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Reaper Rest is a great system. I looked at it very hard and I may even get one down the road for calling, when I think long (200-300) shots are likely and I'm using an AR. It very likely has advantages in certain situations. But I'm convinced that the Hog Saddle is a far superior system for shooting at LR and ELR with a bolt gun. The only thing I didn't like with my CTR is the way it grabs that (what I think is flimsy) stock - I think it'd make it easy for ME to put pressure and cause contact between barrel and stock. This is more about the crappy Tikka stock than it is about the Hog Saddle. On other rifles, it grabs perfectly but I wanted to mention the one combination where I could envision a potential problem.

I was looking for something portable that would substitute for a shooting bench when me and the buddies are driving around the ranches we manage playing target games. While I like the Reaper Rest, I don't think it compares at longer range. Also, the Reaper isn't 100% American made. The fact that the Hog/Pig Saddle IS 100% American made by a former Scout Sniper, and that it's become standard issue for Marine Snipers and the most popular tripod mount with SOCOM snipers is a pretty amazing testimony as to its quality.

I would love to have someone with a Reaper Rest come out for some shooting - to truly compare the 2 systems, side by side. I had to make a choice and I made the one I did for the reasons I stated above. If I found a better system (i.e. Reaper Rest) I'd have ZERO problem switching. Maybe someone will take me up on the invite.

Let me look at the Reaper Rest again. If it'll work on my Manfrotto, I'll buy it and we can compare.
35remington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #69
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Let me look at the Reaper Rest again. If it'll work on my Manfrotto, I'll buy it and we can compare.

That'd be cool. I'm only 2.5 hours away from Austin if you don't have bad traffic. Come on down!

Old 01-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #70
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Very interested.

I was planning to buy a Harris bipod in xl for shooting from the seated position.

Is it really that much more stable? It sure doesn't seem to win on weight or portability when compared with the telescopic bipod.

Let's take it a step farther....which would be preferred for 300 yards and less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #71
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
Very interested.

I was planning to buy a Harris bipod in xl for shooting from the seated position.

Is it really that much more stable? It sure doesn't seem to win on weight or portability when compared with the telescopic bipod.

Let's take it a step farther....which would be preferred for 300 yards and less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It's more stable. But it's definitely much heavier. I'm not letting go of my shooting sticks for seated shots out to 250. Past there I'll take the tripod. For hunting out of a popup or if you want to sit in a chair to be able to clear tall grass or brush, no Harris bipod will work. It's to a bipod killer, it's ANOTHER shooting tool for longer ranges and situations where a higher stance is necessary.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #72
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Thanks, pretty much what I thought.

I actually worked something similar while on a Mgt hunt at the Chap this year. I taped a leather front rest bag to my tripod while hunting from a ground blind. It was far better than shooting sticks and not near the stability of the pig saddle.

Believe I'll be adding a Pig to my bag of tricks.

Hate to hear your sick on the last weekend of season, I'm sure Pete is doing what he can to pick up the slack.

Last edited by Slick8; 01-14-2017 at 04:36 PM..
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top