Hog Saddle or Pig Saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
    That looks awesome. Yeah I would start a new thread.

Ok. Once I've had a chance to do some shooting with it, and figure out what I like/don't like, I'll make a review thread. The tripod is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got my hog saddle in yesterday. It is more expensive, but it will last forever. I have never seen the pig saddle in person but can see where it would have a bit of "flex" and would last a bit less.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyt79 View Post

I haven't shot with any of them but the reaper rest from kopfjager industries looks like it be more stable on the rifle.

So far, I haven't done any shooting of either, either. Having spent a lot of time looking at tripod shooting systems, I can all but promise that the Hog Saddle and Sunwayfoto system will be more "stable" than the the Reaper Rest and it will be FAR smoother when panning around. I'll agree that the curved sides of the Reaper Rest look more conformed to the shape of an AR hand guard. The Hog Saddle was specifically designed for bolt guns, not ARs. A user may not need to torque down as much on the Reaper, with an AR platform, as a user with the Hog Saddle. However, it's not hard to lock the Hog Saddle down tight. The benefit of the Hog Saddle is that you can use a ball head of your choice, including ones that have infinitely adjustable tension adjustments, OR connect it directly to a tripod. This latter connection method is the most commonly used by military and LE snipers who need to make ELR shots.

Also, I question the stability of the way the vice system on the Reaper Rest vs the vice mechanism on the Hog Saddle.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Reaper Rest is a great system. I looked at it very hard and I may even get one down the road for calling, when I think long (200-300) shots are likely and I'm using an AR. It very likely has advantages in certain situations. But I'm convinced that the Hog Saddle is a far superior system for shooting at LR and ELR with a bolt gun. The only thing I didn't like with my CTR is the way it grabs that (what I think is flimsy) stock - I think it'd make it easy for ME to put pressure and cause contact between barrel and stock. This is more about the crappy Tikka stock than it is about the Hog Saddle. On other rifles, it grabs perfectly but I wanted to mention the one combination where I could envision a potential problem.

I was looking for something portable that would substitute for a shooting bench when me and the buddies are driving around the ranches we manage playing target games. While I like the Reaper Rest, I don't think it compares at longer range. Also, the Reaper isn't 100% American made. The fact that the Hog/Pig Saddle IS 100% American made by a former Scout Sniper, and that it's become standard issue for Marine Snipers and the most popular tripod mount with SOCOM snipers is a pretty amazing testimony as to its quality.

I would love to have someone with a Reaper Rest come out for some shooting - to truly compare the 2 systems, side by side. I had to make a choice and I made the one I did for the reasons I stated above. If I found a better system (i.e. Reaper Rest) I'd have ZERO problem switching. Maybe someone will take me up on the invite.

Comment

Would a manfrotto 116 fluid head work with pig saddle?
          Would the heavy ball head be significantly better?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
            Would a manfrotto 116 fluid head work with pig saddle?
            Would the heavy ball head be significantly better?

I'm no expert. It might. Can you measure the width of the fluid head at the top? All I can tell you is that my 501HDV would NOT work because the vise screw would hit part of the fluid head when I turned it. Ball heads are narrow and that small footprint allows the vise tensioning screw to rotate to tighten or loosen the vise. I'm sure there may be a fluid head out there that'd work but you'd really have to mate them in order to find out.

If you could fashion a spacer to go between the fluid head and the bottom of the Saddle, you could create the clearance needed to rotate the screw.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
              I'm no expert. It might. Can you measure the width of the fluid head at the top? All I can tell you is that my 501HDV would NOT work because the vise screw would hit part of the fluid head when I turned it. Ball heads are narrow and that small footprint allows the vise tensioning screw to rotate to tighten or loosen the vise. I'm sure there may be a fluid head out there that'd work but you'd really have to mate them in order to find out.

If you could fashion a spacer to go between the fluid head and the bottom of the Saddle, you could create the clearance needed to rotate the screw.

Great info thanks
              Looks like I'll just break down and get a good ball head.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                Great info thanks
                Looks like I'll just break down and get a good ball head.

Heck, I'd try your ball head first and see if it worked. If it had worked with my fluid head, I would have shot it that way first.

Comment

So far, I haven't done any shooting of either, either. Having spent a lot of time looking at tripod shooting systems, I can all but promise that the Hog Saddle and Sunwayfoto system will be more "stable" than the the Reaper Rest and it will be FAR smoother when panning around. I'll agree that the curved sides of the Reaper Rest look more conformed to the shape of an AR hand guard. The Hog Saddle was specifically designed for bolt guns, not ARs. A user may not need to torque down as much on the Reaper, with an AR platform, as a user with the Hog Saddle. However, it's not hard to lock the Hog Saddle down tight. The benefit of the Hog Saddle is that you can use a ball head of your choice, including ones that have infinitely adjustable tension adjustments, OR connect it directly to a tripod. This latter connection method is the most commonly used by military and LE snipers who need to make ELR shots.

Also, I question the stability of the way the vice system on the Reaper Rest vs the vice mechanism on the Hog Saddle.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Reaper Rest is a great system. I looked at it very hard and I may even get one down the road for calling, when I think long (200-300) shots are likely and I'm using an AR. It very likely has advantages in certain situations. But I'm convinced that the Hog Saddle is a far superior system for shooting at LR and ELR with a bolt gun. The only thing I didn't like with my CTR is the way it grabs that (what I think is flimsy) stock - I think it'd make it easy for ME to put pressure and cause contact between barrel and stock. This is more about the crappy Tikka stock than it is about the Hog Saddle. On other rifles, it grabs perfectly but I wanted to mention the one combination where I could envision a potential problem.

I was looking for something portable that would substitute for a shooting bench when me and the buddies are driving around the ranches we manage playing target games. While I like the Reaper Rest, I don't think it compares at longer range. Also, the Reaper isn't 100% American made. The fact that the Hog/Pig Saddle IS 100% American made by a former Scout Sniper, and that it's become standard issue for Marine Snipers and the most popular tripod mount with SOCOM snipers is a pretty amazing testimony as to its quality.

I would love to have someone with a Reaper Rest come out for some shooting - to truly compare the 2 systems, side by side. I had to make a choice and I made the one I did for the reasons I stated above. If I found a better system (i.e. Reaper Rest) I'd have ZERO problem switching. Maybe someone will take me up on the invite.

Let me look at the Reaper Rest again. If it'll work on my Manfrotto, I'll buy it and we can compare.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                    Let me look at the Reaper Rest again. If it'll work on my Manfrotto, I'll buy it and we can compare.

That'd be cool. I'm only 2.5 hours away from Austin if you don't have bad traffic. Come on down!

Comment

Very interested.

I was planning to buy a Harris bipod in xl for shooting from the seated position.

Is it really that much more stable? It sure doesn't seem to win on weight or portability when compared with the telescopic bipod.

Let's take it a step farther....which would be preferred for 300 yards and less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        Very interested.

I was planning to buy a Harris bipod in xl for shooting from the seated position.

Is it really that much more stable? It sure doesn't seem to win on weight or portability when compared with the telescopic bipod.

Let's take it a step farther....which would be preferred for 300 yards and less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It's more stable. But it's definitely much heavier. I'm not letting go of my shooting sticks for seated shots out to 250. Past there I'll take the tripod. For hunting out of a popup or if you want to sit in a chair to be able to clear tall grass or brush, no Harris bipod will work. It's to a bipod killer, it's ANOTHER shooting tool for longer ranges and situations where a higher stance is necessary.

Comment

Thanks, pretty much what I thought.

I actually worked something similar while on a Mgt hunt at the Chap this year. I taped a leather front rest bag to my tripod while hunting from a ground blind. It was far better than shooting sticks and not near the stability of the pig saddle.

Believe I'll be adding a Pig to my bag of tricks.

Hate to hear your sick on the last weekend of season, I'm sure Pete is doing what he can to pick up the slack.
                          Last edited by Slick8; 01-14-2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

BTT and Sorry if this is a repetitive question but being primarily a bowhunter that doesnt film hunts i know squat about tripods and heads. With that said can i get a good BUDGET system for less than $200. Want to use with my .308 and can which is pretty heavy and my young sons crossbow so he can learn to shoot off of it.

Thanks for the help!

KC

Comment

That'd be cool. I'm only 2.5 hours away from Austin if you don't have bad traffic. Come on down!

Just pulled the trigger on a Reaper Grip. Hopefully I will get some blood on it this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X