Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The great plan to hunt Lake Meredith, that wasn't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
    Great read, thanks for posting. This was my 3rd year at Meredith, I hunt it hard because I only live 20 miles away. and at this point I am nearly ready to give it up. Lake Meredith is tough and has so much hunting pressure every where.
    It's definitely hard hunting. The hunting pressure can be a problem. I have been hunting on public land for quite a while now. I have hunted private land for most of my hunting. But have found some public hunting, that I find very challenging and enjoyable. I have found ways of dealing with other hunters. It just takes time to figure things out. Getting out and just sitting a watching things and being observant is the best way to figure things out, where you are hunting. I figured out Amistad years ago. I really love hunting that place. When you first see that place, you will think killing a deer, much less a big buck is next to impossible, or just flat impossible. But once you are there enough and observe enough and put thought into it. You can figure that place out and be successful there. Amistad is much closer to me, only about three hours away, I used to go out there often. I may be back out there soon. Meredith is ten hours away for me, so it is very hard for me to get up there and learn that place. Then with mule deer season only being two weeks long, that really makes it tough.

So far, I have not definitely seen a large buck there. But I am pretty sure, I found one last year, but I was not 100% sure what I found, so I did not shoot it. This year, the area where I found that deer is covered with hunters. I am sure someone else has discovered the same deer, so I hunted other areas.

I found four areas, that look very good for finding deer, one the area where I am sure there is a big buck, one is where I shot the small buck this year. Then I found another area or two that look very good, but I have not hunted them yet. Then the area, where I got the six point two seasons ago. That area looks very good also. I found out afterwards, there was a large buck multiple guys were chasing in that area.

If I can get a good handle on the mule deer, I may try hunting whitetails up there also. But I would rather hunt whitetails out at Amistad. If I really had some time up in Meredith, I would really like to shoot some quail and coyotes. Last year, I saw a lot of both, only found three or four coveys of quail this year, but I was not really in areas, that looked like good quail areas.

Comment

I run a 15 degree bag also and occasionally got cold last year. This year I invested in a good sleeping pad and haven't even been close to cold since. Here is the one I got, super lite and warm: https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-Li...ing%2Bpad&th=1

Next year look me up, I would be glad to drive you from Mullinaw up river to where highway 287 crosses the Canadian so you don't have to try and get up river. Maybe we could make a trade and you show me around Amistad. Will PM you my email address.

Comment

Congrats on the mulie! I got back Sunday. No deer for me this season at Meredith. I love that place.
        Last edited by chongo; 12-07-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
          I run a 15 degree bag also and occasionally got cold last year. This year I invested in a good sleeping pad and haven't even been close to cold since. Here is the one I got, super lite and warm: https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-Li...ing%2Bpad&th=1

Next year look me up, I would be glad to drive you from Mullinaw up river to where highway 287 crosses the Canadian so you don't have to try and get up river. Maybe we could make a trade and you show me around Amistad. Will PM you my email address.
          Interesting, I would not have thought that would help. My wife tried to get me to take a air mattress to sleep on. My opinion was it's just extra weight to carry. I will have to get one and try it. Thanks.

I am not sure I am going to try the river again next year, I might. I need to talk to one of the rangers and get some info on the fences and boundry markers. I am still not sure what the fence was I found, but it was not put up by the park service, was definitely an old ranch fence line. I have never seen the park services, use anything but well built T post fences with something like six strands of wire. So until I know what that fence was I ran into, I won't go back to that area. If that fence was not a boundry fence, then the area I went to would be some **** good hunting, but the fence I found, was at the base of the hills. I know there were a lot of deer in those hills, but not sure who's property those hills are. I need to figure that out.

Yes, I would not mind helping with Amistad. I took a buddy out there. At first, he thought I was crazy, trying to hunt that place, with a bow. But I had learned a lot by that point, not as much as I had learned later, but had a good handle on the place. We saw multiple nice bucks every time we went out there. He was very surprised at the bucks we found out there. He got hooked on the place very quickly. I wish I could get him back out there, but he has a lot going on at this point and not sure if he could make the trip.

Keep in touch, I am definitely going back to Meredith next year, definitely going to try and get a decent deer next year. I hope I can spend a full week out there. I was hoping to make it to Amistad this year, not sure if I will make it, I have a lot going on from now till the end of the year. I may try and make it out there in a couple of weeks, if I can get some stuff done, before then.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
            Congrats on the mulie! I got back Sunday. No deer for me this season at Meredith. I love that place.
            It's some beautiful country, but hard hunting most of the time. I definitely like it.

Comment

Definitely get a sleeping pad. I use a 22 Kelty bag, and an REI inflatable pad. I can't remember the R value but typically sleep in my base layers comfortably. This year I had to unzip it at Meredith since it only dropped in the 30s while I was there. I've used it as low as 14 and made it through the night. That sleeping pad makes a world of difference.

Comment

Definitely get a sleeping pad. I use a 22 Kelty bag, and an REI inflatable pad. I can't remember the R value but typically sleep in my base layers comfortably. This year I had to unzip it at Meredith since it only dropped in the 30s while I was there. I've used it as low as 14 and made it through the night. That sleeping pad makes a world of difference.

Comment

Working...
                X