Buying used truck advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying used truck advice

Looking at buying a new to me used truck. Wanting guys opinions on the trucks. Currently have an access cab Tacoma, but when our family starts to grow going to have to upgrade, so going to go ahead and buy.

Chevrolet, GMC, Dodge/Ram 1500's are what I am looking at. All the bigger V8 engines and more than likely more than 50k miles.

Have looked at Double Cab Tacoma's, but they are pricey. Also, wanting to get back into a full size truck.

I know I will get all different opinions, open to all brands.

You are going to get someone for every brand that says their brand is the best, and another that says their brand the worst. Go drive some, narrow down what you want, then ask about specifics, especially since each used vehicle has its specific issues from the previous owner.

FWIW, all half tons are about the same. They all have their own specific issues. Chevy can't keep both headlights working, Dodge touch screens freeze, Ford are aluminum, and Toyota get bad MPG.

Comment

I would keep the age to 3 yrs old...

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        You are going to get someone for every brand that says their brand is the best, and another that says their brand the worst. Go drive some, narrow down what you want, then ask about specifics, especially since each used vehicle has its specific issues from the previous owner.

FWIW, all half tons are about the same. They all have their own specific issues. Chevy can't keep both headlights working, Dodge touch screens freeze, Ford are aluminum, and Toyota get bad MPG.
        Oh I know it, more on the lines of the goods and bad. Had a dodge and started falling apart pretty quick. But, it was an 07', just dont buy new vehicles which may solve it. But, not paying the price tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo View Post
          I would keep the age to 3 yrs old...
          Found a few, but have a price range and there are some in the range. But, they are at the top of it.

Comment

Get the one that is most comfortable to drive and is within you budget. As has been said, they are all fine but all have minor issues.

My 05 Silverado crew cab is going strong at 205K+ miles, but the dash leds are terrible and the seats are only ok, not great.

Comment

Like said above. I’m a GM guy for life and will never change but there is one issue I have had with them and that electronics. Doesn’t affect driving or dependability but just issues popping up in the dash for warning lights that are not correct. Another thing is it just me or have truck prices sky rocketed even for used trucks? Been needing to by a new to me truck for a while but prices to me are ridiculous and been holding out for a reasonably priced vehicle for what it is, example: half ton truck with over 220k miles and sellers trying to get 20-25k for them

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                Like said above. I’m a GM guy for life and will never change but there is one issue I have had with them and that electronics. Doesn’t affect driving or dependability but just issues popping up in the dash for warning lights that are not correct. Another thing is it just me or have truck prices sky rocketed even for used trucks? Been needing to by a new to me truck for a while but prices to me are ridiculous and been holding out for a reasonably priced vehicle for what it is, example: half ton truck with over 220k miles and sellers trying to get 20-25k for them
                It's not just you. Prices are ridiculous. My friend in the used car business said they are higher than he's ever seen.

Comment

Buy whatever you like best and get a warranty. Some of those third party warranty prices are coming down pretty low and they are always negotiable as well. I bought a used BMW a few years ago and got the warranty (I said no four times but after he dropped the price on the warranty by 65% I agreed to take it)... best money ever spent, they did almost $12K worth of work on that car under the warranty before I got rid of it.

Oh and, Dodge is the best!

Comment

I'm not going to tell you which brand to buy, I looked at GM, Ford and Toyota and ended up getting a GMC.

What I will tell you is open your search up to include Oklahoma. I saved a bunch of money and got more truck than I could have if I had bought in Texas. I drove to Tulsa to get mine.

Comment

Originally posted by cj_sandman View Post
                      Buy whatever you like best and get a warranty. Some of those third party warranty prices are coming down pretty low and they are always negotiable as well. I bought a used BMW a few years ago and got the warranty (I said no four times but after he dropped the price on the warranty by 65% I agreed to take it)... best money ever spent, they did almost $12K worth of work on that car under the warranty before I got rid of it.

Oh and, Dodge is the best!
                      I did the warranty on my Tacoma, shouldn't have but the 1 year of comfort on a 2005 vehicle was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                        Oh I know it, more on the lines of the goods and bad. Had a dodge and started falling apart pretty quick. But, it was an 07', just dont buy new vehicles which may solve it. But, not paying the price tag.
                        Yeah, if I remember right, that era of Dodge fell apart fast in general. Had a friend with one, and it had a whole host of problems, but I think some came from the previous owner.

I really think trucks 5 years and newer are in a new world of quality no matter what way you go. I currently have a '12 Superduty, and short of it getting totaled one day, I can't see why I would ever get rid of it. No rattles, comfy seats, reliable, little wind noise, bluetooth works great. My previous GMC, same thing.

Good luck shopping, hope the salesmen don't harass you too much!

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                          I'm not going to tell you which brand to buy, I looked at GM, Ford and Toyota and ended up getting a GMC.

What I will tell you is open your search up to include Oklahoma. I saved a bunch of money and got more truck than I could have if I had bought in Texas. I drove to Tulsa to get mine.
                          Yes I am looking within 300 miles of my zip code. I bought my tacoma in Amarillo and live in Tyler.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                            Yes I am looking within 300 miles of my zip code. I bought my tacoma in Amarillo and live in Tyler.
                            Something about driving across that border makes the price go down.

I paid the same amount for a fully loaded crew cab GMC that was dang near mint condition as an extended cab cloth seats Chevrolet was going to cost down here. And the cloth seated chevrolet had several body flaws and smelled like hell on the interior. Dealerships down here wouldn't budge, audi dealership that I bought my truck from came down several thousand dollars.

Comment

Get the one that is the best deal! That is why you are buying a used truck right?

Comment

Working...
                              X